Release Note discussion!

Started by Riev, January 16, 2017, 10:32:07 AM

Quote from: Delirium on January 17, 2017, 01:14:58 PM
I can't seem to get the brew crafting working. I'll send in a log once I have a chance to experiment more.

I feel like maybe I'm just doing the syntax wrong. Am I doing the syntax wrong? What should it be?

Crafting poisons and cures should work the same as brew did.  All recipes require two or three herb items.

> craft herb1 herb2
(list of recipes displayed)

> craft herb1 herb2 herb3
(list of recipes displayed)

Once you've decided on a recipe you'll have to use the # option for crafting, not the name.
> craft herb1 herb2 into #1
(this will work)

> craft herb1 herb2 into lump of green mush
(this will NOT work)

Sending along a log is always helpful.
"Unless you have a suitcase and a ticket and a passport,
The cargo that they're carrying is you"

Quote from: Miradus on January 17, 2017, 01:02:50 PM

The last time I used one, I whacked a tregil 8 times and he didn't go down. I can understand it not bringing down something bigger, but that's like hunting a rabbit ... which is what I'd think slings were good at.

I've planted at least that many arrows from a high value bow in to a tregil to similar affect. Skill has a lot to do with it of course. Slings will kill NPCs (and I wouldn't recommend actually getting hit by one), but they'll probably do it slower and you won't be able to poison. Their big advantage is more readily available ammunition.

Will these new Weapon skills have varying rates of skill gain? Is it easier to master a Crossbow than a bow?

Quote from: Delirium on January 17, 2017, 01:14:58 PM
I can't seem to get the brew crafting working. I'll send in a log once I have a chance to experiment more.

I feel like maybe I'm just doing the syntax wrong. Am I doing the syntax wrong? What should it be?

For those used to brewing, it is worth nothing that its item targeting was inconsistent with how the rest of the game works.

Namely, in brew if you have
> i
a blue herb
a green herb
a red herb

You could brew them with
> brew herb herb herb

With craft you would have to type
> craft herb 2.herb 3.herb
or
> craft red.herb blue.herb green.herb

Hmm, I'm interested to see where these skills are going to end up... Now I'm going to want to store to see if this effects my favorite guild.
3/21/16 Never Forget

Dear Staff,

If you give me master crossbow use, I promise to only use it to kill everyone.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

will current characters skilled at archery have their skills transferred to all new types (having all @ the current level of archery), or will new types be set to 0?
if latter, will it be possible to switch to submit request and transfer skill points from archery to crossbows?

Interesting change.

I see there is a strength/Stamina component for loading crossbows. However as per the help-files(shown below), does agility still rule them all? Also with exception of equipment, are all skills are equal across the board? Despite the story of David and Goliath, I have a hard time believing a slingshot would have the same long range impact as an arrow or bolt to an armored head and neck. Just wondering if the difference between how the skills perform (other than delay times) are going to be reflected with equipment costs/weight?   

Agility
(Attributes)

Agility is an ability score that measures all types of physical coordination and swiftness. Hand-eye coordination, reaction time, balance, depth perception, and reflexes are all types of characteristics measured by agility.

The agility score is used to determine speed of reaction in combat, missile fire bonuses, ability to dodge objects, escape capture, avoid dangerous spell effects, leap across distances, climb walls, and picking pockets of unsuspecting bystanders.

Quote from: Dresan on January 18, 2017, 01:46:41 AM
Interesting change.

I see there is a strength/Stamina component for loading crossbows. However as per the help-files(shown below), does agility still rule them all? Also with exception of equipment, are all skills are equal across the board? Despite the story of David and Goliath, I have a hard time believing a slingshot would have the same long range impact as an arrow or bolt to an armored head and neck. Just wondering if the difference between how the skills perform (other than delay times) are going to be reflected with equipment costs/weight?   

Agility
(Attributes)

Agility is an ability score that measures all types of physical coordination and swiftness. Hand-eye coordination, reaction time, balance, depth perception, and reflexes are all types of characteristics measured by agility.

The agility score is used to determine speed of reaction in combat, missile fire bonuses, ability to dodge objects, escape capture, avoid dangerous spell effects, leap across distances, climb walls, and picking pockets of unsuspecting bystanders.

There is also a strength/stamina component for firing a bow. These have been part of archery for a very long time. The difference is that a crossbow checks strength, to see if the string can be pulled, and subtracts some stamina when it is loaded. It means that unlike a bow a crossbow can be fired with no strength check, no stamina cost and no delay. (Which means a weak elf, merchant or noble can fire the most powerful crossbow so long as someone else loads it. I can totally see a noble "hunting" with a powerful silt-horror crossbow that their manservant loads for them between shots.)

* "Hunting" means shooting at beggars from the balcony overlooking Meleth's Circle :P
Quote from: MorgenesYa..what Bushranger said...that's the ticket.

January 18th, 2017 Release

This should address the bugs reported, so far, with the new crafting changes.

Many thanks to those that included logs in their Game Bug requests.

Quote from: purpledragon on January 18, 2017, 12:24:25 AM
will current characters skilled at archery have their skills transferred to all new types (having all @ the current level of archery), or will new types be set to 0?

The new skills with be 0 until they are added to guilds and subguilds, at which point character skills will be bumped up when they login to their guild/subguild starting skill.

Quote from: Miradus on January 17, 2017, 01:02:50 PM

The last time I used one, I whacked a tregil 8 times and he didn't go down. I can understand it not bringing down something bigger, but that's like hunting a rabbit ... which is what I'd think slings were good at.

Sling damage is based on (at least) bullet quality and hit location.  I've killed fairly large critters (humanoid-range HP) with 5 stones before (3 head/neck/wrist shots, 2 body).  I'm pretty sure I've 2-shotted tregils and jozhals before with a couple of back-to-back neck shots.

Question:  what's the deal with strength vs. bows now?  When I ass -v bows currently, it doesn't tell me whether the pull is too strong/too weak anymore.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Quote from: Synthesis on January 18, 2017, 10:27:46 AM
Question:  what's the deal with strength vs. bows now?  When I ass -v bows currently, it doesn't tell me whether the pull is too strong/too weak anymore.

Game bug request with log, please.

Quote from: Riev on January 17, 2017, 04:52:36 PM
Dear Staff,

Quote from: manipura on January 18, 2017, 11:02:21 AM
Quote from: nessalin on January 18, 2017, 10:42:11 AM

Sent.

I should note that this appears to be an issue with particular items in shops and inventories.

I had a bow that wasn't assessing properly, and it also wouldn't shoot properly.  A staff member replaced it with a new bow, and now everything is working properly (as far as I can tell).

Quote from: nessalin on January 18, 2017, 10:58:38 AM
Quote from: Riev on January 17, 2017, 04:52:36 PM
Dear Staff,

I would be perfectly alright if a loaded heavy crossbow, shooting someone in the neck or the head while in the same room, caused massive damage with a knock-down potential.

Just saying.

Quote from: Synthesis on January 18, 2017, 11:20:45 AM
Quote from: manipura on January 18, 2017, 11:02:21 AM
Quote from: nessalin on January 18, 2017, 10:42:11 AM

Sent.

I should note that this appears to be an issue with particular items in shops and inventories.

I had a bow that wasn't assessing properly, and it also wouldn't shoot properly.  A staff member replaced it with a new bow, and now everything is working properly (as far as I can tell).

....game bug request with log, please.

salarri should have a booth with a mechanism inside it that, for a fee, would auto load any crossbow with a bolt of your choice. We can call that mechanism a dwarf.

Quote from: Dar on January 18, 2017, 01:06:19 PM
salarri should have a booth with a mechanism inside it that, for a fee, would auto load any crossbow with a bolt of your choice. We can call that mechanism a dwarf.

I'm imagining a minor merchant house idea based almost solely on providing HEAVY-pull crossbows, already loaded and ready, to people in the streets.

"Tired of your boss being an overbearing asshole? Think -you- can do better, telling grebbers what to do? Put a bolt in his ass!"

I remain skeptical that Zalanthan crossbows would be all that good, at least relative to normal bows given the materials both have to work with.

I do someday want to have a big game hunter who has a native gun dwarf tasked with carrying and loading all of my crossbows, however.

I'm loving all these releases.  We're living in a new golden era of Armageddon's development.

I find myself checking the forums on a daily basis mostly because of the excitement for what might've been added. 

Will 'a crumbling red tablet' do the same thing as 'a red tablet'?
Quote from: AdamBluewear Inix pelvis
You wear a wood-carved inix strap-on on your pelvis.
etwo wood
You reach down and grasp your wood-carved inix strap-on.
kill booty

I sent in a new bug log, staffers. :)
Quote from: AdamBluewear Inix pelvis
You wear a wood-carved inix strap-on on your pelvis.
etwo wood
You reach down and grasp your wood-carved inix strap-on.
kill booty

Looking to test all these cures and poisons, in game. Breeds and elves, inquire within!

Are legacy cure tablets still functional?

Because it would be mildly annoying to suddenly "find out IC," so to speak.

A non-code issue with cure/poison crafted has been fixed.  Specifically the issue where most any cure/poison crafted was making red mashes, tablets, and vials.

The issue with yellow herbs making grey mashes will be fixed in tomorrow morning's reboot.