Release Note discussion!

Started by Riev, January 16, 2017, 10:32:07 AM

Quote from: Dresan on July 17, 2020, 07:04:54 PM
Quote from: Dar on July 17, 2020, 01:36:18 PM
They got miscreants. Infallible stealth is plenty code love.

At this point even if city elves were given the ability to run like desert elves I doubt that it would make up for how much content in this game is denied to them.

I really feel the help file do not stress this enough, and new players go into the game thinking they are just going to be playing with a physically weak character.  Not realizing that even half-elves have much more play-ability in clans then elves do.

I didn't mean to throw a match into a tinderbox on this thread, but love it!

(ยด ε ` )♡
ARMAGEDDON SKILL PICKER THING: https://tristearmageddon.github.io/arma-guild-picker/
message me if something there needs an update.

Quote from: NinjaFruitSalad on July 17, 2020, 07:02:01 PM
Well, what if an elf decided to focus on something that wasn't thievery?

I know, wild thought, isn't it?  ::)

Yes. We should boycott the game until they run a blue robe Elf role call.

Quote from: Dar on July 17, 2020, 09:27:09 PM
Quote from: NinjaFruitSalad on July 17, 2020, 07:02:01 PM
Well, what if an elf decided to focus on something that wasn't thievery?

I know, wild thought, isn't it?  ::)

Yes. We should boycott the game until they run a blue robe Elf role call.

One can dream, right?  If the humans even bothered to study elf psychology, maybe they'd kidnap a few elf babies and raise them as part of their "tribe". Then imagine, stealthy blue-robed templar assassins everyone prays are not lurking in the same room as they badmouth the Highlord and His templars!    ;D

Would not even have to worry about them committing treason.. the treachery against the Highlord would be unthinkable!

I volunteer to play a brainwashed elven templar.
Fallow Maks For New Elf Sorc ERP:
sad
some of y'all have cringy as fuck signatures to your forum posts

QuoteJaxa Pah
QuoteRed Fangs

Sorry, all I could focus on in this thread. Don't mind me, carry on.

Should be noted, in the source material, there is such a thing as elven templars.

Somewhere along the way, all of the various races in Arm got turned up to 11, and became farcical stereotypes of themselves.

Most elves in Dark Sun are nomadic herders. A few elves are raiders, and a few elves are nomadic traders. A few of these traders set up semi-permanent markets -- these are the c-elves of Armageddon. Except, nonsensically, the c-elves of Armageddon can't actually run trade caravans effectively.

Jaxah Pah was shut down, and staff don't support elf clans because they are TOO GOOD at it.

The elf tribe mentality, the loyalty and honesty - it's not mantis psionic link level but it's damn close.

Quote from: Doublepalli on July 18, 2020, 10:06:12 AM
Jaxah Pah was shut down, and staff don't support elf clans because they are TOO GOOD at it.

The elf tribe mentality, the loyalty and honesty - it's not mantis psionic link level but it's damn close.

You'd be surprised at the amount of rivalry and betrayal that happens between elves of the same tribe. They're families but they're not always functional.

And I'm not talking about badly played elves.

Quote from: number13 on July 18, 2020, 08:56:10 AM
Should be noted, in the source material, there is such a thing as elven templars.

Should it be? Noted that is.  Dark sun is not Armageddon.

Friendly mansa reminder.

Let's save this thread for release note discussions and move the elf butts to another thread.

:)
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

July 23rd, 2020 (Thursday)

(Nessalin)
-Fixed some crash bugs.
-Contracting someone now echos their modified sdesc (the hooded figure) rather than their true sdesc (the blue-eyed disc-jockey)

ERHMYGAWD

staff listening to player feedback gets me so verklempt
ARMAGEDDON SKILL PICKER THING: https://tristearmageddon.github.io/arma-guild-picker/

July 23, 2020, 12:11:10 PM #1236 Last Edit: July 23, 2020, 12:18:35 PM by Nao
[Edit: Nevermind, I think this is a separate complaint.]
A rusty brown kank explodes into little bits.

Someone says, out of character:
     "I had to fix something in this zone.. YOU WEREN'T HERE 2 minutes ago :)"

Quote from: triste on July 23, 2020, 11:32:45 AM
July 23rd, 2020 (Thursday)

(Nessalin)
-Fixed some crash bugs.
-Contracting someone now echos their modified sdesc (the hooded figure) rather than their true sdesc (the blue-eyed disc-jockey)

ERHMYGAWD

staff listening to player feedback gets me so verklempt

Indeed.  An elegant solution.  I love it.
Labor omnia vincit - "(Hard) work conquers all."

One implication I LOVE is when someone contacts you by name they will get your hooded sdesc. Why is that aide (secretly a guild spy) wearing a shabby hood? That's pretty weird.

Quote from: Lotion on July 23, 2020, 01:31:18 PM
One implication I LOVE is when someone contacts you by name they will get your hooded sdesc. Why is that aide (secretly a guild spy) wearing a shabby hood? That's pretty weird.

A question arises of how to roleplay it, does one see an image of who they way when they way them? Can you roleplay that you know?

Arguably if you way by sdesc or name you should just see the sdesc for this solution to be ideal. But coding that would be a pain in the ass given the likelihood of keyword collision/overlap.

When you psi someone you just get to see their sdesc anyway but they also get to see yours. I wonder if we'll end up seeing a lot more contact send a single vauge psi cease as the metaplayers adapt.

Quote from: triste on July 23, 2020, 01:37:22 PM
Quote from: Lotion on July 23, 2020, 01:31:18 PM

A question arises of how to roleplay it, does one see an image of who they way when they way them? Can you roleplay that you know?

Arguably if you way by sdesc or name you should just see the sdesc for this solution to be ideal. But coding that would be a pain in the ass given the likelihood of keyword collision/overlap.

I've always RP'd (since the dawn of my playtime) that Waying gives me nada in the way of physical characteristics of the person...maybe with hints of them if I talk to them a bunch (race and gender being the first 'hints').  So, if I've only Way'd a person, unless they say in person "Hi, I'm Amos, we talked before!", I'll not recognise them on the street.  There was something in the helpfiles once about how you can display a 'picture' using the Way by describing it (like expressing feelings via the Way), so it came from that.

So...I'm going to keep on assuming I don't see what they look like.  But I might be alone in this, so your mileage may vary.  I know it -used- to feel a lot more common to do what I do, while these days people seem to auto-recognise a lot more...maybe I'm just old school?
Previous of note: Kaevya the blind Tor Scorpion, Kaloraynai 'Raynai' the beetle Ruk, Korenyire of SLK, Koal 'Kick' the hooved Whiran, Kocadici/Dici/Glimmer, Koefaxine the giant Oashi 'Aide', Kosmia 'Grit' the rinthi
Current: Like I'd tell you.

It's all fun and games until you contact a templar and their sdesc comes back with the naked tag.

But seriously, this is a cool change.
"No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality; even larks and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream." - Shirley Jackson, The Haunting of Hill House

Quote from: flurry on July 23, 2020, 08:21:10 PM
It's all fun and games until you contact a templar and their sdesc comes back with the naked tag.

But seriously, this is a cool change.

*makes a note* Next character will be a nudist...for this very reason. *cackles*
Previous of note: Kaevya the blind Tor Scorpion, Kaloraynai 'Raynai' the beetle Ruk, Korenyire of SLK, Koal 'Kick' the hooved Whiran, Kocadici/Dici/Glimmer, Koefaxine the giant Oashi 'Aide', Kosmia 'Grit' the rinthi

The initial contact shows the hooded sdesc, but any further psionic message still show the true sdesc.

Not sure if that's a feature or a bug, but just pointing it out from one day of testing.

I think there is something odd with people being maybe in the dark?  I got 'You connect to someone.' rather than any sdesc yesterday.

Quote from: Kyviantre on July 24, 2020, 06:16:55 AM
I think there is something odd with people being maybe in the dark?  I got 'You connect to someone.' rather than any sdesc yesterday.

That's probably going to be the experience going forward.

I think you can justify it as ...   you're using the way to connect to someone but you aren't sure who it is until you send off that first communication.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

So to prevent your true appearance from being snooped, you repeatedly expel and or just barrier to block a worded message from being psionically sent.

Cool!
Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2

This is a BAD change.

Why? It gives away users of certain spells.
It doesn't matter if you travel to the other end of the known and only use it in some remote area of the Grey Forest, as soon as someone contacts you while you're using that spell, they'll know your secret. I assumed this is not working as intended, but staff confirmed that it is supposed to work this way.

This is a problem for mundanes to a lesser extent. "Minion, why are you hiding/in the dark/wearing a tattered red stormcloak!?"

Barrier is not an effective protection against this, it's easily broken even for chars that have high-ish wisdom.
A rusty brown kank explodes into little bits.

Someone says, out of character:
     "I had to fix something in this zone.. YOU WEREN'T HERE 2 minutes ago :)"

Quote from: Nao on July 28, 2020, 04:13:06 AM
This is a BAD change.

Why? It gives away users of certain spells.
It doesn't matter if you travel to the other end of the known and only use it in some remote area of the Grey Forest, as soon as someone contacts you while you're using that spell, they'll know your secret. I assumed this is not working as intended, but staff confirmed that it is supposed to work this way.

This is a problem for mundanes to a lesser extent. "Minion, why are you hiding/in the dark/wearing a tattered red stormcloak!?"

Barrier is not an effective protection against this, it's easily broken even for chars that have high-ish wisdom.

Yeah that is a little alarming. It is worth noting that when people asked for this change, I believe players were asking to see the sdesc of who Wayed you, not the other way around [which is what was implemented ultimately]. The idea was people might have a little more shame and be less twinkish if this were the case. Staff implemented this the other way around, which does address the problem, in part, but does have side effects. Possible there were code constraints in the first approach that led to this implementation.