Release Note discussion!

Started by Riev, January 16, 2017, 10:32:07 AM

Quote from: stoicreader on June 10, 2018, 01:42:27 PM
Sounds like now it will be almost impossible to branch certain ranger things from listen.

Try to stay positive.  How are you drawing this conclusion?
The neat, clean-shaven man sends you a telepathic message:
     "I tried hairy...Im sorry"

June 10, 2018, 01:53:36 PM #626 Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 03:25:50 AM by Molten Heart
"It's too hot in the hottub!"

-James Brown

https://youtu.be/ZCOSPtyZAPA

A number of play testers were rather strident that the wilderness classes have some way to detect certain stealth.  Hopefully they didn't just want to overhear conversations, since it makes zero sense for wilderness folks to get that in their toolbox, so they don't.

Quote from: Brokkr on June 10, 2018, 01:59:44 PM
A number of play testers were rather strident that the wilderness classes have some way to detect certain stealth.  Hopefully they didn't just want to overhear conversations, since it makes zero sense for wilderness folks to get that in their toolbox, so they don't.

What about scouts going out to try to figure out the enemies plans...Im just...I get it, realism realism realism...But the Realism vs Playability balance needs to come into account also.
Quote from: roughneck on October 13, 2018, 10:06:26 AM
Armageddon is best when it's actually harsh and brutal, not when we're only pretending that it is.

What about a scout? Sending a scout out to watch an enemy and listen for any details on movements or information....that seems pretty vital for them in that sense. I'm not talking about a spy in a city, but watching and listening to raiders from cover in the brush or in a war situation where a spy is listening from under sand cover from nearby troops.

Steering the current topic a little but...
Quote-Added subguilds for beta testing.
New subguilds? Where? :o

Do you have similar plans to break up scan into city scan and wilderness scan?
A rusty brown kank explodes into little bits.

Someone says, out of character:
     "I had to fix something in this zone.. YOU WEREN'T HERE 2 minutes ago :)"

Quote from: Insigne on June 10, 2018, 02:21:52 PM
Steering the current topic a little but...
Quote-Added subguilds for beta testing.
New subguilds? Where? :o

Quote from: Nao on June 10, 2018, 02:25:04 PM

It's been done a long time ago, no?

Edit: Oh, you mean making them two different skills in the skill list.
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

Quote from: IronGold on June 10, 2018, 02:17:50 PM
What about a scout? Sending a scout out to watch an enemy and listen for any details on movements or information....that seems pretty vital for them in that sense. I'm not talking about a spy in a city, but watching and listening to raiders from cover in the brush or in a war situation where a spy is listening from under sand cover from nearby troops.

Quote from: Krath on June 10, 2018, 02:15:58 PM
What about scouts going out to try to figure out the enemies plans...Im just...I get it, realism realism realism...But the Realism vs Playability balance needs to come into account also.

all secret plans are to be discussed outside the gate five leagues inside a tent.
You begin searching the area intently.
You look around, but don't find any large wood.
You think: "Story of my life."

Quote from: Armaddict on June 10, 2018, 12:59:33 PM
As a genuine question...

How much utility is there for listen_wilds?

This is where I'm at. Listen can be marginally helpful if you don't have scan... but really, listen's usefulness is listening in on conversations, not the other things it does.

Quote from: CodeMaster on June 10, 2018, 01:49:35 PM
Sounds like now it will be almost impossible to branch certain ranger things from listen.

Skills related to listening well in the wilderness, like knowing what movements make sounds so you can move silently, are learned from listening. I don't understand how to fail at listening out in the wilderness. My 5 day ranger had listen always on outside. It never got any better. If it wasn't due to the thief subguild that special skill not mentioned here would have never branched.
-Stoa

Quote from: Malken on June 10, 2018, 02:55:15 PM
Quote from: Nao on June 10, 2018, 02:25:04 PM

It's been done a long time ago, no?

Edit: Oh, you mean making them two different skills in the skill list.

No, I don't mean that - and I don't think so? If you play a character with city sneak/hide, you tend get spotted by hunters.
A rusty brown kank explodes into little bits.

Someone says, out of character:
     "I had to fix something in this zone.. YOU WEREN'T HERE 2 minutes ago :)"

It'd be really cool if this change meant that some new utility (and skillup opportunities) for wilderness listen could be eventually added. It'd be neat if wilderness listeners, for example, got a message when a PC/NPC/mob entered or left one of the adjacent rooms.  "You hear sounds of movement to the west."  Things like that!

Quote from: sleepyhead on June 10, 2018, 04:35:30 PM
It'd be really cool if this change meant that some new utility (and skillup opportunities) for wilderness listen could be eventually added. It'd be neat if wilderness listeners, for example, got a message when a PC/NPC/mob entered or left one of the adjacent rooms.  "You hear sounds of movement to the west."  Things like that!

This happens already with scan I believe.
-Stoa

It has never happened for me.

Quote from: stoicreader on June 10, 2018, 03:56:21 PM
Quote from: CodeMaster on June 10, 2018, 01:49:35 PM

Skills related to listening well in the wilderness, like knowing what movements make sounds so you can move silently, are learned from listening. I don't understand how to fail at listening out in the wilderness. My 5 day ranger had listen always on outside. It never got any better. If it wasn't due to the thief subguild that special skill not mentioned here would have never branched.

I don't know either, but my understanding is that rangers still have the legacy listen skill.  From what I've heard about the new guilds, they're designed around minimizing some of this grind.  The pickpocket guild for example is one of the toughest nuts to crack in terms of branching skills.
The neat, clean-shaven man sends you a telepathic message:
     "I tried hairy...Im sorry"

As a note, the purpose of my question was to find out if listen had also been changed to add utility to it.

In it's current form, listen as listen_wild is pretty much a skill for a nincompoop.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

Unless listen_wild gives you something akin to the watch command in that you 'hear' activity very far to the south or something without having to actually look or watch in that direction.. I'm also having a hard time understanding why this was separated into city/wilderness varietals.

For playability, a keen ear should be a keen ear.. whether it's voices you're hearing or the clatter of giant insect claws across terrain, in my opinion.

June 10, 2018, 11:03:29 PM #645 Last Edit: June 10, 2018, 11:07:12 PM by JohnMichaelHenry
I think it is more an ability to separate ambient sounds of the current environment from sounds that shouldn't be there.

Edited to add: I do believe, however, conversations held in the wilderness should be part of this, if it isn't.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world, and all there ever will be to know and understand."
― Michael Scott, The Warlock

June 10, 2018, 11:08:11 PM #646 Last Edit: June 10, 2018, 11:15:28 PM by X-D
I agree with Vox, it makes little sense to me, sound is sound...being good at telling what sounds are what in whatever noise is the same. I am as adept at telling if that is a deer or a squirrel in the woods at 40 yards as I am at listening to conversations in bars two booths away.

Also, wind...I do not have a problem with it being harder, but not at all? Come on.

Also...the sound of conversation tends to really travel in the woods when you are actively listening. I have heard people talking and thought they were on my property...go to check and find out they are 300 yards away down the hill 50 yards outside my fence. True, that is when the wind is blowing towards me.

Which, if you actually want to be realistic, Sound travels very well with the wind...make wilderness listen directional in all but the strongest storms. That would be cool. I have had people upwind of me 70 yards not hear when I fire a .22 rifle in a good 15mph breeze.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

If it works like wilderness/city scan it's probably "it still works, but you're better at it in the correct environment."

So with desert listen, you aren't savvy Aide Amos, sidling up to Tressy and Talia to hear their bar conversation, but you might still overhear some of their chit-chat, or a guy trying not so well to follow you in the street. But, because you're Dusty McDunesman, you can hear a goudra sneaking through the brush at fifty paces, and sidle up on that encampment in the dunes to hear their plans for a dawn attack like nobody's business.

That's how I would assume it works based on the way wilderness vs city hunt and scan already work.

Our ears can pick up thousands of sounds over a few seconds. What we choose to listen to is a matter of training.

This is why my spouse never can hear me.
-Stoa

Quote from: sleepyhead on June 10, 2018, 04:35:30 PM
+1

In a similar line of thought, I'd love to see some kind of feedback when a stealthy attempt to enter a room fails. Something like 1) a hemote-esque echo:

The tall, muscular human arrives from the west.
(You notice he is trying to avoid notice.)

... or 2) a different room arrival echo:

The tall, muscular human stealthily arrives from the north.