Release Note discussion!

Started by Riev, January 16, 2017, 10:32:07 AM

... what kind of desert elf walks anywhere, ever, period?

did the pc's legs get broken?

how did anyone even find out about elven walking mv?

i didn't even know elves could walk.
Fallow Maks For New Elf Sorc ERP:
sad
some of y'all have cringy as fuck signatures to your forum posts

Might have been a balance thing, if you got skinnies running all over for no stamina cost and have human militia/legion trying to run them down, that puts them at a negative to catch said skinnyies.
"This is a game that has elves and magick, stop trying to make it realistic, you can't have them both in the same place."

"We have over 100 Unique Logins a week!" Checks who at 8pm EST, finds 20 other players but himself.  "Thanks Unique Logins!"

Aesira
- Removed the ability to check if people are online by using contact in a certain way
- Removed the ability to check if people are online by casting certain spells

=====================
Can we get a bit of explanation here?
I remember recruiting this Half elf girl. And IMMEDIATELY taking her out on a contract. Right as we go into this gith hole I tell her "Remember your training, and you'll be fine." and she goes "I have no training." Then she died

Quote from: Fredd on December 02, 2023, 10:30:53 AMAesira
- Removed the ability to check if people are online by using contact in a certain way
- Removed the ability to check if people are online by casting certain spells

=====================
Can we get a bit of explanation here?
PM me, I'll explain it.
"This is a game that has elves and magick, stop trying to make it realistic, you can't have them both in the same place."

"We have over 100 Unique Logins a week!" Checks who at 8pm EST, finds 20 other players but himself.  "Thanks Unique Logins!"

How about share with the class since the exploit has been removed?

Spells I don't know what is up with that one.

But the contact one is one I bugged myself.  If you were in combat with say a scrab, and you type Contact Pariah and I was online it would say "Not in combat" but if I was offline you'd get the normal fail message.

So if you were looking for Pariah and wanted to see if he was online, you just had to get into a round or two of combat and type contact pariah to know if I was playing or logged off based on the way the code treated it.

You can start to cast a spell and then cancel it by typing "craft" or anything else which breaks concentration. I'd imagine the spell exploit was to attempt casting a spell which can be cast remotely targeting specific keywords. If there's no target you would get a generic "no target found" message and if they exist then you can type "craft" to stop casting before you actually spend mana to cast the spell.

Quote from: Pariah on December 02, 2023, 12:08:14 PMSpells I don't know what is up with that one.

But the contact one is one I bugged myself.  If you were in combat with say a scrab, and you type Contact Pariah and I was online it would say "Not in combat" but if I was offline you'd get the normal fail message.

So if you were looking for Pariah and wanted to see if he was online, you just had to get into a round or two of combat and type contact pariah to know if I was playing or logged off based on the way the code treated it.

That's not a glitch, that's the superior psionic aura of the scrab people. (\|)╭•̀ﮧ •́╮(|/)

Scraaab people, scraaab people...

I like removing the ability to meta-game using contact. But this will compound the issue with there being no mechanics in place to find people to interact with. I still think the game really needs an opt-in who list to help people with this issue.
I was told this game was full of twinks, all I found was power gamers.

Quote from: Kavrick on December 02, 2023, 02:07:58 PMI like removing the ability to meta-game using contact. But this will compound the issue with there being no mechanics in place to find people to interact with. I still think the game really needs an opt-in who list to help people with this issue.

These used to exist. But I think cwho got removed a long time ago, to facilitate people sneaking off to bump uglies.
I remember recruiting this Half elf girl. And IMMEDIATELY taking her out on a contract. Right as we go into this gith hole I tell her "Remember your training, and you'll be fine." and she goes "I have no training." Then she died

Quote from: Fredd on December 02, 2023, 04:10:58 PMThese used to exist. But I think cwho got removed a long time ago, to facilitate people sneaking off to bump uglies.

I mean, that's why I kinda wanted 'opt in' who. Nearly every other mud I know has that.
I was told this game was full of twinks, all I found was power gamers.

I prefer not to have discussions about how and why things like this have changed. It's not to be secretive. I don't feel that discussing code nuance is a good use of my time.

As far as we're concerned, tricks and exploits to reveal information from a meta perspective are not to be used. That includes any ways to determine features, abilities or the presence of a character outside of clearly intentional coded means. There is no justification or back justification that we'll accept for their use, these are not intentional features of the code.

If anybody knows of other spells, skills, commands or bugs that reveal information like this, please let us know via a game bug request.

Quote from: Aesira on December 02, 2023, 06:17:39 PMI prefer not to have discussions about how and why things like this have changed. It's not to be secretive. I don't feel that discussing code nuance is a good use of my time.

I respectfully disagree. I found this to be very informative.

I think she was basically saying while talking about bugs that don't exist anymore isn't against the rules, she doesn't prefer we talk about code like that.  At least that's how I took it.

Quote from: Pariah on December 02, 2023, 08:53:04 PMI think she was basically saying while talking about bugs that don't exist anymore isn't against the rules, she doesn't prefer we talk about code like that.  At least that's how I took it.

No yeah, I got that.

I just happen to find this sort of thing very interesting. I suck at finding exploits personally. So hearing about them after they get fixed is neat to me.

*shrug*