It's 2016, why are we assuming gender?

Started by Orin, December 14, 2016, 09:51:23 PM

Should facewrapped figures still show up as male/female?

Yes
11 (19.3%)
No
11 (19.3%)
I don't care
16 (28.1%)
You have thin skin, get over it
6 (10.5%)
lol tumblr
13 (22.8%)

Total Members Voted: 57

The nice subset of that (perhaps unforeseen) is that when you overhear people shouting or talking from another room, they might have different 'sounds' to their voice.
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

If you want to play someone that looks like a woman but has the plumbing of a man or the plumbing of a woman but looks like a man, write your desc as your primary gender and then put in your background what biological gender you were born as.

Quote from: bardlyone on December 15, 2016, 08:27:09 PM
Genderfluidity ftw.

I generally don't post, but was moved enough to say:  thank you, thank you, thank you for advocating for this in a graceful and articulate way.  I have "skin in the game" myself, and it's really quite amazing to not feel like I need to shut up and grit my teeth.  I came because of the RPI and setting; I'm staying because of the depth of RP and the chance to explore things in a game-world that are impossible IRL. 

And this:

Quote from: Nergal on December 15, 2016, 09:30:13 AM
This is a complicated subject, but one that can be discussed civilly. With that in mind, players are more than welcome to portray any character they like.

is a wonderful thing to read, and know that that's an official staff position.  In fact, I have to say all my interactions with the staff around gender identity/pronouns/fluidity have been similarly positive and supportive.  For a 20-year-old game, Armageddon, you're sure growing up nicely. ;-)
Labor omnia vincit - "(Hard) work conquers all."

December 16, 2016, 02:25:13 PM #78 Last Edit: December 16, 2016, 02:26:47 PM by Jingo
Wish I read nergal's post before responding in the other thread. I think it's a fine policy.
Now you're looking for the secret. But you won't find it because of course, you're not really looking. You don't really want to work it out. You want to be fooled.