Color change discussion thread.

Started by Nathvaan, November 25, 2016, 06:18:52 AM

Quote from: Nathvaan on November 25, 2016, 10:09:41 PM
Quote from: ChibiTama on November 25, 2016, 09:50:07 PM
I just noticed that the say colors don't when when someone is saying something to someone else.

It's probably that your fg_tell color is unset or is set to the same color as your default text in your client.  Since say cannot target another person the command is actually tell.  Try something like 'change color fg_tell <color>' and hopefully that works for you!
You were right. Fixed!
Quote from: AdamBluewear Inix pelvis
You wear a wood-carved inix strap-on on your pelvis.
etwo wood
You reach down and grasp your wood-carved inix strap-on.
kill booty

November 26, 2016, 12:22:55 AM #51 Last Edit: November 26, 2016, 12:36:40 AM by LauraMars
Well I found this color stuff too tempting to resist, so I logged on and made a 'light colored background' color set if anyone wants to use it. I play with an off-white background and I found the defaults were a bit bright for that situation.

There's not really a lot of "color" in this (stuck with a lot of dark greens and dark browns except for combat...and WISH) so if you're transitioning from b&w to something a little more nuanced it might be a good fit.

It looks like this:

change color none
change color fg_say 58
change color fg_shout 124
change color bg_shout 255
change color fg_monitor 62
change color fg_psionics 54
change color fg_room_name 180
change color bg_room_name 52
change color fg_room_exits 180
change color bg_room_exits 52
change color fg_tell 58
change color fg_whisper 60
change color fg_ooc 127
change color fg_sing 68
change color fg_talk 59
change color fg_wish 181
change color bg_wish 199
change color fg_object 59
change color fg_char 94
change color fg_combat_charhit 232
change color bg_combat_charhit 9
change color fg_combat_charmiss 232
change color bg_combat_charmiss 172
change color fg_combat_victhit 250
change color bg_combat_victhit 12
change color fg_combat_victmiss 8
change color bg_combat_victmiss 24
change color fg_combat_room 88
change color bg_combat_room 254
change color fg_emote 52
change color bg_emote 255

edit: Nathvaan, it looks like a staff command might have gotten into that export list? fg_monitor?
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

Quote from: LauraMars on November 26, 2016, 12:22:55 AM
edit: Nathvaan, it looks like a staff command might have gotten into that export list? fg_monitor?

So it did.  Thanks for pointing that out.  I'll be sure to put it on my list of things to fix!

For anyone having problems, I had to make a new worldfile w/out any of my (admittedly fairly elaborate) color triggers, despite having triggers disabled, to get this working correctly. I use MUSHclient.

It works now - super cool. I love the potential of this.

Plotting which colors I want because I prefer to stick with a desert-ish theme overall.

I made this so I didn't have to keep scrolling up :D

Click on it for a full-size version.

I'm using this set:

change color fg_combat_charhit 196
change color fg_combat_victhit 34
change fg_combat_room 229

I would probably save a list of your commands if you switch between characters often like I do.

Basically its red when I get hit (bad), green for when I hit (good) and cream for when other people are fighting. I like my monochrome, but honestly up until now watching more than two people fight has been a spamfest.
Do yourself a favor, and play Resident Evil 4 again.

I'm actually switching between these two on the fly. They deal only with foreground combat:

cute set:
change color fg_combat_charhit 174
change color fg_combat_victhit 178
change color fg_combat_room 229
-------------------
practical set
change color fg_combat_charhit 196
change color fg_combat_victhit 34
change color fg_combat_room 229
Do yourself a favor, and play Resident Evil 4 again.

On Wintin++

At size 18 font it seems to be not including the room names. I disabled ansi/vt100 and the same problem is here.

This is new. I could swear I wasn't having the problem yesterday.

Quote from: Miradus on November 26, 2016, 09:44:13 AM
On Wintin++

At size 18 font it seems to be not including the room names. I disabled ansi/vt100 and the same problem is here.

This is new. I could swear I wasn't having the problem yesterday.
Do you mean the room titles getting cut off? I think azuriolinist mentioned a fix, if you're using #split.

Quote from: azuriolinist on November 25, 2016, 08:23:54 AMedit: In case anyone wants to know, '#config {packet patch} {0.5}' seems to fix #split's tendency to cut some lines from the buffer.

November 26, 2016, 10:03:48 AM #59 Last Edit: November 26, 2016, 10:05:51 AM by Miradus
That's exactly what's happening. Lemme scroll up and find the fix.

EDIT: That fixed it.

Normally I run with the map in the top half and the text below so I hadn't noticed it. Walking around in a town that I didn't need to use my map for I started seeing it.

Because I haven't said it yet: I like this change. I've left it disabled for now until I find the time to update my client's highlights so they don't clash, but it's great to see this is as an option.

I do seem to have a problem with BG colors having a 'bleeding' effect where part of the line after also gets highlighted, but it's definitely something wrong on my end.

Quote from: Insigne on November 26, 2016, 10:20:58 AM
I do seem to have a problem with BG colors having a 'bleeding' effect where part of the line after also gets highlighted, but it's definitely something wrong on my end.

If you are talking about things like say, tell, shout etc. don't try to hard to fix that on your end!  I noticed the same thing with background colors but due to the nature of how the code spits out the text it would have delayed this release by a month or more to try and fix that all over the code so I decided to settle with that little 'feature'.

Quote from: Nathvaan on November 26, 2016, 10:24:38 AM
Quote from: Insigne on November 26, 2016, 10:20:58 AM

If you are talking about things like say, tell, shout etc. don't try to hard to fix that on your end!  I noticed the same thing with background colors but due to the nature of how the code spits out the text it would have delayed this release by a month or more to try and fix that all over the code so I decided to settle with that little 'feature'.
Oh. I can bear with that just fine. I meant this:

The same client on a different PC doesn't share the same problem, which is why I'm pretty sure it's just me.

Ah, yeah that looks to be a client setting issue!  Let me know what you find out if/when you figure it out!

November 26, 2016, 01:18:58 PM #64 Last Edit: November 26, 2016, 01:47:12 PM by Synthesis
When I change to the default color palette in CMUD, it makes everything except the room descriptions start blinking.

Okay, I fixed the blinking problem.

However, now I tried to change some colors to red, and all it did was make them bold.

Now I've got a mixture of bold and highlighted text, but no actual color, even though I haven't intentionally bolded or highlighted anything.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

I would love to see hemote/semote/think/feel/movement color options... someday!
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

I've noticed a few inconsistencies, would you like those reported here, in a request, or using the "bug" command?
"Historical analogy is the last refuge of people who can't grasp the current situation."
-Kim Stanley Robinson

Quote from: LauraMars on November 26, 2016, 01:20:41 PM
I would love to see hemote/semote/think/feel/movement color options... someday!

I suspect I will be adding some more categories in the future but I am also trying to keep in mind that sometimes less is more.  Remember every category adds two categories (fg and bg) and I worry that the setup could quickly get overly complex for new players. 

That said though, I'll keep these in mind for sure!

Quote from: 650Booger on November 26, 2016, 01:53:40 PM
I've noticed a few inconsistencies, would you like those reported here, in a request, or using the "bug" command?

I have been working on a list of inconsistencies I have found as well (33 so far).  It is possible I am already working on most of the things you saw but please feel free to open a request with what you have found so I can make sure they make my list.

Confused. Green on black is all I need.
I tripped and Fale down my stairs. Drink milk and you'll grow Uaptal. I know this guy from the state of Tenneshi. This house will go up Borsail tomorrow. I gave my book to him Nenyuk it back again. I hired this guy golfing to Kadius around for a while.

I had to turn ansi off completely and revert to white background black text. I had only three options after this change:

1. Turn off all color completely - which I ended up doing.
2. Figure out what the hell happened between client and game that caused all my emotes to be completely black background with black text, and even the same when I held the mouse down over the line, and then undo whatever it was, and then check every possible instance of experience in game to see where ELSE it was screwing up so that I didn't end up with black-on-black at a really unfortunate moment - which I have ZERO patience to do.
3. Use game color and configure every single instance of every single bit of incoming and outgoing data to reflect the changes I want to see - which is, a very deep indigo blue text, against a paper-white background. Which - I also have zero patience to do.

So - I just shut off all color. It sucks, but it's better than having to spend hours figuring out what the fuck happened and then fixing it.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Just chiming in to say this makes me very happy and I am all for more accessibility features being added to the game.
And I vanish into the dark
And rise above my station

Quote from: Lizzie on November 26, 2016, 04:38:28 PM
I had to turn ansi off completely and revert to white background black text. I had only three options after this change:

2. Figure out what the hell happened between client and game that caused all my emotes to be completely black background with black text, and even the same when I held the mouse down over the line, and then undo whatever it was, and then check every possible instance of experience in game to see where ELSE it was screwing up so that I didn't end up with black-on-black at a really unfortunate moment - which I have ZERO patience to do.

I have seen something similar happen.  You could try doing this:
1) Issue 'change color export' command and copy/paste that into a notepad.
2) I suspect there will be a line that says 'change color bg_emote 0' and/or 'change color fg_emote 0'.  Delete both of them from your notepad copy.
3) Copy the command back into your client, ensuring you also copy 'change color none' as well.
4) Test emote and reset it to the color you wish.

One other thing that I found is that some clients don't conform to the ANSI color standards.  For instance BlowTorch seems to work perfectly fine when you adjust the FG color but not when adjusting the BG color.

Let me know if that helps at all.

November 26, 2016, 04:54:39 PM #73 Last Edit: November 26, 2016, 04:58:34 PM by Lizzie
Ah too late Nathvaan. Because of this change, I tried configuring it client-side, and stupidly saved my changes - which made everything even worse. Now I can't remember exactly how I had it set up when I liked what it looked like. I always get the text and background switched around, and can't remember which part of it being switched around is the part that I don't like.

So if I turn ansi back on, even if I fix it game-side, it'll still be screwed up because I screwed it up client-side. It's Mushclient v4.94

Just to see what happened, I did that - and got this as a result. I have no idea what any of it means:

> change color none
change color fg_shout 0
change color bg_shout 0
change color fg_monitor 0
change color bg_monitor 0
change color fg_tell 0
change color bg_tell 0
change color fg_whisper 0
change color bg_whisper 0
change color fg_ooc 0
change color bg_ooc 0
change color fg_sing 0
change color bg_sing 0
change color fg_talk 0
change color bg_talk 0
change color fg_wish 0
change color bg_wish 0
change color fg_combat_charhit 0
change color bg_combat_charhit 0
change color fg_combat_charmiss 0
change color bg_combat_charmiss 0
change color fg_combat_victhit 0
change color bg_combat_victhit 0
change color fg_combat_victmiss 0
change color bg_combat_victmiss 0
change color fg_combat_room 0
change color bg_combat_room 0
change color bg_emote 0

That's a copy and paste from my screen scroll in the game.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Quote from: Lizzie on November 26, 2016, 04:54:39 PM
Ah too late Nathvaan. Because of this change, I tried configuring it client-side, and stupidly saved my changes - which made everything even worse. Now I can't remember exactly how I had it set up when I liked what it looked like. I always get the text and background switched around, and can't remember which part of it being switched around is the part that I don't like.

So if I turn ansi back on, even if I fix it game-side, it'll still be screwed up because I screwed it up client-side. It's Mushclient v4.94

Just to see what happened, I did that - and got this as a result. I have no idea what any of it means:

> change color none
change color fg_shout 0
change color bg_shout 0
change color fg_monitor 0
change color bg_monitor 0
change color fg_tell 0
change color bg_tell 0
change color fg_whisper 0
change color bg_whisper 0
change color fg_ooc 0
change color bg_ooc 0
change color fg_sing 0
change color bg_sing 0
change color fg_talk 0
change color bg_talk 0
change color fg_wish 0
change color bg_wish 0
change color fg_combat_charhit 0
change color bg_combat_charhit 0
change color fg_combat_charmiss 0
change color bg_combat_charmiss 0
change color fg_combat_victhit 0
change color bg_combat_victhit 0
change color fg_combat_victmiss 0
change color bg_combat_victmiss 0
change color fg_combat_room 0
change color bg_combat_room 0
change color bg_emote 0

That's a copy and paste from my screen scroll in the game.

Basically that means you have everything listed there set to FG Black and BG Black.  I would say reset them by doing 'change color none' and then you can choose the colors you want individually.  As far as the client side settings I am not sure I can help there!  I use the same version of MUSHClient so there shouldn't be a client compatibility issue at the very least.