Where is everyone?

Started by Kankman, October 19, 2016, 07:54:13 PM

Like the title says, where is everyone?

It seems like the player base shrank 10-15 people just recently.

Should we get the torches and pitchforks ready because too many players were stolen off to immortality?

WHY AREN'T YOU GUYS LOGGING ON?!!?

This is debate and coitus season, nerd.
Whatever happens, happens.

I approve of nearly everything TheWanderer says and he doesnt fail to deliver.

Quote from: TheWanderer on October 19, 2016, 08:20:07 PM

Riiiight. Americans. Debates. Got it.

But c'mon. You ain't coitusin' no one.

Quote from: Kankman on October 19, 2016, 08:38:45 PM

Couple more burns like that and they're going to need to rename you Firekankman.

I don't think you're going to get much more else out of this thread, unfortunately. The reasons people stop playing (whether particulars or general trends) generally don't make for polite (or legal) discussion on the GDB.

I kinda expected this question to be about where, ICly, all characters are. Characters do seem to be very sequestered off into little corners a lot of the time, which I think is unfortunate.
You take the last bite of your scooby snack.
This tastes like ordinary meat.
There is nothing left now.

Quote from: TheWanderer on October 19, 2016, 08:20:07 PM

Riiiight. Americans. Debates. Got it.

Coitus season. Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahhahahahhahahahahahahahahahahah.
hahah.
oh my god. You guys. My heart.

I have something to say about this. I was asking Fathi this same thing yesterday, but the truth is I'm part of the problem.

I want to go do something that isn't here, and isn't Zalanthas. The dust and heat and scorched stones and red sky don't sound appealing. I think I sort've want to run off to another country and buy a brightly painted house-cart, with a shaggy old nag that I don't know how to feed or care for. Or go rent a cottage on the ocean for a month or two and get my feet in the surf and be with the wind and the salt. I want to destroy something beautiful. I want to breathe smoke.

Quote from: Riev on June 12, 2019, 02:20:04 PM
Do you kill your sparring partners once they are useless to you, so that you are king?

I'm just waiting for my moment.
Musashi: You're not witty Toofie.

Quote from: Toofie on October 19, 2016, 10:44:21 PM

Every moment is a Toofie moment.

Quote from: Kankman on October 19, 2016, 10:53:40 PM
Quote from: Toofie on October 19, 2016, 10:44:21 PM

Every moment is a Toofie moment.

Wishful thinking.

Frustrated with things. Taking a break until I'm not.

Campaign season.

I like to play political characters in Arm but I don't have an energy or willpower to work 10 hours a day and then come home and roleplay work for entertainment.
All the world will be your enemy. When they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

Right when I started playing a lot again, too.
QuoteSunshine all the time makes a desert.
Vote at TMS
Vote at TMC

Quote from: HavokBlue on October 19, 2016, 11:41:33 PM
Campaign season.

I like to play political characters in Arm but I don't have an energy or willpower to work 10 hours a day and then come home and roleplay work for entertainment.

You are on Sabbatical.

have you seen me

Quote from: path on October 19, 2016, 08:45:45 PM
I want to destroy something beautiful. I want to breathe smoke.

Even the Mona Lisa's falling apart.
He is an individual cool cat. A cat who has taken more than nine lives.

With my majorly offpeak times, I tend to not see many people for long periods of time. But up until the last week, things were pretty solid.

I too have noticed a sudden and sharp "Eh, not today"
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

I've been playing regularly, but I can tell you, my time available to play is going to shrink as we get closer and then into November/NaNoWriMo.
Former player as of 2/27/23, sending love.

Ya'll need to quit being lame and get back to choppin' motha fuckas up with bone swords.
QuoteSunshine all the time makes a desert.
Vote at TMS
Vote at TMC

Quote from: Feco on October 20, 2016, 09:33:33 AM
Ya'll need to quit being lame and get back to choppin' motha fuckas up with bone swords.

Goddamn right. Let's kill some people.
We were somewhere near the Shield Wall, on the edge of the Red Desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

Summer break is done, people are back at school and stuff.

Plus, we need to VOTE MORE because we're doing TERRIBLY!.

I've seen a shitload of newbs in game lately, so it's working. If only they'd all read at least the very basic docs ;_;
Sometimes, severity is the price we pay for greatness

Quote from: Iiyola on October 20, 2016, 12:19:37 PM
I've seen a shitload of newbs in game lately, so it's working. If only they'd all read at least the very basic docs ;_;
I second this. It certainly would help them quite a bit.
Quote from: AdamBluewear Inix pelvis
You wear a wood-carved inix strap-on on your pelvis.
etwo wood
You reach down and grasp your wood-carved inix strap-on.
kill booty

Quote from: WarriorPoet on October 20, 2016, 09:35:54 AM
Quote from: Feco on October 20, 2016, 09:33:33 AM

Goddamn right. Let's kill some people.

MORE THIS.

Quote from: HavokBlue on October 19, 2016, 11:41:33 PM
Campaign season.

Also feel this. Political staffer/campaign in Canada here. Hope your candidate wins or you're at least employed afterward!

Quote from: Feco on October 19, 2016, 11:46:16 PM
Right when I started playing a lot again, too.

Me too.

Maybe I scared them all away.

Seasonality and competing games (Legion is very popular amongst my friends).

Quote from: wizturbo on October 20, 2016, 03:49:59 PM

Yup, Legion's got a strong hold on me as well.
3/21/16 Never Forget

Quote from: lostinspace on October 20, 2016, 05:43:30 PM
Quote from: wizturbo on October 20, 2016, 03:49:59 PM

Yup, Legion's got a strong hold on me as well.

Legion's awesome, yo.
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

I know everyone is going to dogpile this, but wtf is Legion?

The Burning Legion expansion for WoW... it swallowed Ender whole.

When I came back and noticed that not only has so much that I loved about Arm changed, but there's also a low peak turnout, I got disheartened. Knowing that the dip in player population is recent helps a bit. But I browsed the weekly report history before this thread. Has anyone else done this? I didn't find a link to a graph showing unique logins over time but semirandom samples don't paint a happy picture, even with seasonal player fluctuations taken into account. Reassure me, please.

It's seemed like the normal ebb and flow lately. September in the stats looked like a lot was going on.

October 20, 2016, 06:21:59 PM #33 Last Edit: October 20, 2016, 06:24:29 PM by nauta
Quote from: Bahliker on October 20, 2016, 06:07:56 PM
When I came back and noticed that not only has so much that I loved about Arm changed, but there's also a low peak turnout, I got disheartened. Knowing that the dip in player population is recent helps a bit. But I browsed the weekly report history before this thread. Has anyone else done this? I didn't find a link to a graph showing unique logins over time but semirandom samples don't paint a happy picture, even with seasonal player fluctuations taken into account. Reassure me, please.

This should be re-assuring.  Fall has a strong tradition for low numbers.

There's better charts out there too.  Last Fall things were pretty nadir.
as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

Don't get too much into the numbers.  People like to overanalyze the 'activity charts' of Armageddon and push for changes based off of it, when there really are a lot of in-and-out players in this game.  I can go inactive for a month or two at a time, then have a huge burst of need to play, then the transition states in-between, and that's how a lot of players are.  There's emotions based off character loss or IC events or OOC communications.  There's RL time constraints.  There's shifting interests in other activities.

Right now we are indeed in a down-turn of active players online, but I wouldn't take that as anything other than yet another downswing that will go back up as situations change for different people.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

I'm playing a veritable assload right now.  Like 10 days played in an IG month.  Shooo!  Can't stop won't stop!
"Historical analogy is the last refuge of people who can't grasp the current situation."
-Kim Stanley Robinson

I know you remember the 20 player peak nights, Armaddict. I think the numbers do matter. They're the only real part of this whole circus. You are right to suggest that making big game changes in reaction to small player trends is foolish. After all I don't think it was code or world changes that drove our player base to roughly double in the early 00's but a new advertising push. I don't want to derail this too hard, but what happened to that? To the banners?

As it's already been mentioned several times by several different players, there's this World of Warcraft thing called Legion that's captured a bunch of their attention. This happens whenever there's some new version of a popular version of a graphics game. Then the excitement wears off, or they get to the end of the game or whatever happens, and they come back to Arm.

There are currently 32 players currently in the world besides myself, and it's not quite 9pm server time yet.  I don't think 32 players is a bad thing.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

I don't think any changes are in order to remedy the situation, other than a few more people getting in the habit of voting.

It just seems for the past week or two a bunch of people stopped logging in. Many I play with, in fact. Too many to attribute to death, since there hasn't been an HRPT or anything.

All that needs to happen is for all you people who aren't logging in, but are still lurking on the boards, to log in.

It's way more fun with more people.

Quote from: Lizzie on October 20, 2016, 08:56:09 PM
As it's already been mentioned several times by several different players, there's this World of Warcraft thing called Legion that's captured a bunch of their attention. This happens whenever there's some new version of a popular version of a graphics game. Then the excitement wears off, or they get to the end of the game or whatever happens, and they come back to Arm.

Patch 7.1 is coming out in less than a week, that means another month -easy- of full contents for Legion players. The amount of content right now in Legion is already maddening which is probably why people aren't returning from WoW like they used to in the past. Blizzard really went all out content-wise with Legion.
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

QuoteI know you remember the 20 player peak nights, Armaddict. I think the numbers do matter. They're the only real part of this whole circus.

I do indeed remember.  And I loved them.   Because they were HOPPIN.

But I think you missed what I meant by don't worry about the numbers.  I didn't mean that as in 'fuck playerbase numbers'.  I meant as in there's a thread about it every time there's a noticeable backslide...which inevitably goes away.  Not everyone plays Arm in solid blocks of time, so there are occasional phases where the number logged in noticeably shrinks for a few weeks.  And it's not something to worry about, precisely because it is an occasional thing that happens, and that we understand happens, because of reasons.

I wasn't saying we don't want more numbers.  I was saying don't fret, these slower-periods don't usually last too long.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

I hear you. I know there's nothing to be done about seasonal and situational slow periods. I guess when I hear that every time the game gets slow people post about it, I think that maybe it's time for another hard recruitment push. When numbers surge noticeably, people worry less about small dips.   

Tbh I don't buy "MUDs are dying" as a legit reason why Armageddon hasn't grown steadily over the past ten years. My search-fu must be weak tonight so I'll ask again, what happened to advertising? I don't see our banner any more.

I really haven't noticed anything like this.

I barely play. Last month and a half totally kicked my ass, work wise. But in December I'll be finished and will have a loooooot more time on my hands. Can you guys flash freeze and not move until december, please?

Quote from: Bahliker on October 20, 2016, 11:03:44 PM
I don't see our banner any more.

I think when Nyr was doing a huge push on this and all the analytics, he determined that the extra we were shelling out for the pip next to our name and the banner were not worth the price of admission and the real deal was just getting the vote.

That's what I remember from when I asked this.

I have some exciting and unexpected advertising ideas! This is not the thread for that, though, nor do we have a RAT.
Quote from: Riev on June 12, 2019, 02:20:04 PM
Do you kill your sparring partners once they are useless to you, so that you are king?

I'm here & ready to roleplay my balls off.

I'm here RELATIVELY consistently, just not when any of you PLEBIANS play.

em takes off his wig to show he is, in fact, a massive, crimson-braided man

Dunno what the demographics of ARM are, but if they're college students like me they're probably knee deep in work. I've been gone a month-ish, and will remain gone till mid november
yousuck

everyone should get a good phone client.  mukluk works pretty good. 
"Historical analogy is the last refuge of people who can't grasp the current situation."
-Kim Stanley Robinson

Quote from: yousuff on October 21, 2016, 02:05:30 PM
Dunno what the demographics of ARM are, but if they're college students like me they're probably knee deep in work. I've been gone a month-ish, and will remain gone till mid november

Arm has an older demographic. Average age has always been late 20's/early 30's, with a few of us geezers in our 50's and a handful of rugrats teenagers.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

The great thing is there is still plenty going on in the game... it can be very entertaining to watch it.
Ourla:  You're like the oil paint on the canvas of evil.

Of course arm has an older demographic. I mean I think I might be one of the exceptions obviously but still.

I wanna play...

People run off whenever they see staff and Thewanderer post bad memes on the forums

Quote from: Ath on October 21, 2016, 04:18:16 PM
The great thing is there is still plenty going on in the game... it can be very entertaining to watch it.

Confirmed.

November 18, 2016, 06:53:36 PM #59 Last Edit: November 18, 2016, 06:55:43 PM by Akaramu
Quote from: Dar on October 21, 2016, 08:22:14 AM
I barely play. Last month and a half totally kicked my ass, work wise. But in December I'll be finished and will have a loooooot more time on my hands. Can you guys flash freeze and not move until december, please?

I'll be here in December, and I'm bringing other folks back into the game with me. We gonna shake things up, yo.

I missed you, Ath. You had to take a life break riiight after approving my gypo back then.  :)

I'm finally back, looks good in game. Thanks to all you loyal players and creators.
At your table, the bulky, olive-skinned woman says in sirihish, bluntly:
         "You sound like you're about to orgasm or bein' tickled to death when you talk. Just.. be calm. Breathe."

I will try to be back by early next year.
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

I definitely feel like while there aren't as many people during peak times as there used to be, the average throughout the day has gotten a bit better.

Then, I don't play the times I WANT to play.