Bloodball and more! (RPT saturday oct. 29th, 2130 Server time!)

Started by 650Booger, October 15, 2016, 05:11:11 PM

Word seems to be spreading around the known, that the Arena will soon be home once again to everybody's favorite pastime, Bloodball!

Some individuals may have been contacted about forming teams, but beyond that, as rumor has it, ALL ARE WELCOME TO PLAY!  In fact... can it be true?  Some are saying that all players will be paid in 'sid!  

RPT October 29th at the arena.  Stay tuned IG and here for details and updates!

PS I'd like to link this to the salarr RPT, if we can arrange that, so as not to detract from either one.

"Historical analogy is the last refuge of people who can't grasp the current situation."
-Kim Stanley Robinson

Coming right up folks!  Saturday is it!  Hoping to get started at 6pm server, if that works for people.
"Historical analogy is the last refuge of people who can't grasp the current situation."
-Kim Stanley Robinson

Would it be against the rules for the "rules" of Bloodball to be posted here, or somewhere on the boards? The description in game is difficult to understand at the best of times, and since its not a help-file requires you to be in a certain place to even read it.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Great point!  I'll see if I can dig some up.  Since bloodball is something that (I think) is going on all the time virtually, I don't see any reason why any random PC wouldn't know the rules.  At least in 'nak.
-Kim Stanley Robinson

UPDATE: Moving the start time back to 930pm server!  Hope nobody minds, this will be better for a couple people.

I'm still looking for a good writeup of the rules, I could have sworn I had seen one somewhere, but roughly:
two (NPC) elves are tied to stakes at opposing ends of the arena floor.  Two teams of four players each vie for control of a heavy ball, filled with sharp rocks and such, using unarmed combat.  They try to run with the ball and throw it at the opposing team's elf.  First team to kill the other side's elf, wins!  If anybody else has more to add, please do.  I've never actually played myself.

GET HYPED!
-Kim Stanley Robinson

Lol, holy crap. That's funny, and it sounds like it would be very popular.

No dwarves, no half-giants, right? I know no giants for sure.
Do yourself a favor, and play Resident Evil 4 again.

Quote from: a french mans shirt on October 28, 2016, 07:58:45 PM
Lol, holy crap. That's funny, and it sounds like it would be very popular.

No dwarves, no half-giants, right? I know no giants for sure.

No Muls, No half-giants, no giants, no giant-and-a-halfs. 

Dwarves Okay!
-Kim Stanley Robinson

Stumps are fine. I have played bloodball personally as a dwarf (no more to say on that because IC). But basically 650Booger has it all right far as I know. Unless the rules were explained to me wrong.

I moderated Refugee's post only in order to ensure that there is no confusion between the rules he posted and the rules that I posted. They differ slightly.

The other way to win is to beat the other team up so severely the medics are afraid to bandage them, and the game will be called.   :D

Nice, thank you Regugee!  I 'think' we'll be going unarmed, although that is open to discussion of course!  
-Kim Stanley Robinson

Official Rules.

Blooball is a game for two teams of 3 to 5: Guess we can leave this to the players to establish. You'd probably one 'defender', one 'attacker' and from there people can develop roles and strategies. Players can be of any race except half-giant and mul. But expect non-humans to be treated unpleasantly.

The objective is to kill the enemy team's condemned criminal before they kill yours. The criminals are staked out at opposite ends of the arena and are encased in durable bindings to prevent them dying too quickly.

[X] [ ] [ ]  > = entrance to arena

>[ ] [C] [ ]  C = centre

[ ] [ ] [X]  X = staked criminal

The only weapon that can be used against the GOALS is the bloodball itself - which can vary between expertly-crafted devices made for important matches to a sack of rocks and grass sewn up in hide with a training 'handle' for less important bouts..

The bloodball starts play in the centre of the arena. Players begin play at their team's victim.

If you pick up the bloodball you must wield it. This must be stressed to the players OOCly before the game begins or during training. There needs to be a way to visually identify ball-carriers.

You cannot do anything that would diminish the suffering of the targets. Which of course means - no bandaging! Less the player is forced to swap places with the victim.

No other WEAPON is permitted on the arena floor. Shields, cures, armour, etc. may be limited depending on the 'league'.

Players can use whatever methods they wish against their enemies. No holds barred within the other rules.

Intentionally killing another player without permission of a Templar is punishable by death by Bloodball. Another OOC instruction for participants is that they must have mercy ON. This of course might be overwritten if the Templar master of ceremonies decrees that players in a bout are fighting to the death.

Play lasts from dawn until dusk - or until the enemy target is dead. If neither target is dead by dusk the gates are barred and the players are at the mercy of the Templarate.

--- --- ---
--- --- ---
There are people already knowledgeable in game.  Find them and kill them so no one has cures and then poison everyone. -Kefka 2018

Eep.  That last one is a new one on me!

You didn't mention anything about not going in the opponents' base though.  That's always been a rule except the once when the red robe got bored and told the players to go beat the target to death.

I've spoken to that Red Robe. He says to go beat the other guy's target to death.
There are people already knowledgeable in game.  Find them and kill them so no one has cures and then poison everyone. -Kefka 2018

:o

;D

Wait...so, can only the guy with the ball do that?  Or can anyone?

Quote from: Refugee on October 29, 2016, 11:00:05 AMWait...so, can only the guy with the ball do that?  Or can anyone?
Looks like the former, based on the rules posted by Renenutet: The only weapon that can be used against the GOALS is the bloodball itself.

Quote from: Insigne on October 29, 2016, 11:30:56 AM
Quote from: Refugee on October 29, 2016, 11:00:05 AMWait...so, can only the guy with the ball do that?  Or can anyone?
Looks like the former, based on the rules posted by Renenutet: The only weapon that can be used against the GOALS is the bloodball itself.

If you count bare fists as weapons, I think that you're right.  I think that would be best.  Otherwise everyone will just run to the targets and start beating.

SPORTS FANS!

So you want to TAKE PART in the Known's FINEST SPORTING PURSUIT!?

Invented by House Kadius BUT ADOPTED AND PERFECTED BY ME – GREAT LORD RANDETH "THE SAVAGE" FALE THE RED through a series of INTENSE REVISIONS focusing on MAYHEM, BLOODSHED and the ULTIMATE expression of the ALLANAKKI SPIRIT, BLOODBALL is the team sport of CHAMPIONS.

What's the objective you ask? SIMPLE – EXECUTE THE HIGHLORD'S JUSTICE ON THE ENEMY TEAM'S CONVICT. Staked out to suffer at the hands of the assembled gladiators both of these criminals have been sentenced to death by BLOODBALL – pray to the Highlord that you don't join them.

But there is one complication – convicts may only be BLUDGEONED to death using the BLOODBALL – a flexible MACE designed to prolong the suffering of the condemned. It is the ONLY WEAPON permitted in the arena.

Play lasts until a convict is beaten to death – or dusk. But bore the crowd at your PERIL – they came for a spectacle and they'll get one – one way or another.

"But Great Lord – what about the other team?" I hear you mewl – well stop that! NO MEWLING. The answer's SIMPLE – pummel them into the DIRT so they can't protect their objective. EASY. There are NO HOLDS BARRED in the arena – fists, feet, bloodball, WHATEVER – the only law is the HIGHLORD'S – that only those sentenced to death may die. Kill another gladiator and the crowd gets a GRUDGE MATCH – with YOU as the goalpost.

Play begins with the bloodball itself being set at the centre of the arena and both teams taking their places at their respective posts. When a SIGNAL is given the teams are let loose.

"But Great Lord – bane of Tek'Serak, master of the Obsidian Storm – what should I do?" you beg – and you are right to beg! It will be the STRONG and WISE that survive! But, pitiful wretch – here are some SUGGESTIONS on how to structure your rag-tag team of would-be champions:

~ DEFENDERS or BLOCKERS must be assigned to guard and rescue the convict. Depending on the whims of the organizing highborn they may even be permitted SHIELDS.

~ RUNNERS and SCOUTS are needed to quickly assess enemy movements and attempt to quickly grab the bloodball, bringing it back to safety.

~ STRIKERS – these players will seek the enemy goal and look to smash their convict at range through throwing, or in melee.

~ ATTACKERS – the STAR PLAYERS – are gladiators that look to put down the enemy team, knocking as many out as possible to dismantle their defenses.

"But Great Lord – what if I -DIE-!?" you wail – and you're fortunate this is but text as I would love nothing more than to pulverise your SKULL for such cowardice! Death for the entertainment of the arena is the highest calling of any gladiator – but fear not, weakling – as, given a FORGIVING master of ceremonies the gates to the arena floor may be left open so incapacitated players can be bundled out by their peers and attended to by their TEAM MEDICS.

BLOODBALL is the ultimate spectacle but it is has endless permutations to entertain even the most slack-jawed of His City's denizens – such as the use of TRAINING WEAPONS, MOVING TARGETS or WILD BEASTS - the only limitation is the imagination of HIS HIGHBORN.

If you kill one of the opposing players, I believe you take a convict's place on the stake.
Do yourself a favor, and play Resident Evil 4 again.

two hours till we get started!
-Kim Stanley Robinson

BIG THANKS TO ALL WHO ATTENDED!

hopefully good times were had.
We'll be doing this again, I hope for an arena RPT every two weeks.
-Kim Stanley Robinson

You know - a new Bloodball Clan could really do wonders for Arm. Think about it - the Tzai Byn has been used as a newbie school for ages, but that comes at the price of reducing its use as a mercenary clan (not eliminating it, but definitely reducing it). There are new players who are used to H&S - this would be PERFECT for them, to do their H&S thing while at the same time learning how to include roleplay into their hacking and slashing, complete with emotes, thinks, feels, learning about the different houses and IC sponsors for the different teams, etc. I'd totally offer it as an option in chargen for anyone with less than a RL year of having an Armageddon account. Anyone with more than a year playing, would have to go through the usual channels via sponsored role-call.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.