Extra weapon types

Started by sand, September 05, 2016, 09:38:09 PM

Since I've got mixed messages from people/helpers... the weapons that specifically assess as polearm/trident - are those learned by fighting with those weapons (so it goes from not on your skill list, to novice) or do they show up on your list after you've hit a certain point in the basic weapons (slash/bludg/piece/chop up to advanced?).

Also are there other weapon types beyond that?

Lastly, is it a bad idea to try and use whips? Every description I've seen shows it as not being a true weapon.

There are a number of "advanced" weapon skills available, with proper skill in "basic" weapons.

Whips are... they say 'slashing' but its hard to "train" with a whip.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Warriors branch those weapons after getting advanced in a weapons skill. Only warriors.

Whips don't have a corresponding weapon type, so using them won't raise your skill with them.

Quote from: sand on September 05, 2016, 09:38:09 PM
Since I've got mixed messages from people/helpers... the weapons that specifically assess as polearm/trident - are those learned by fighting with those weapons (so it goes from not on your skill list, to novice) or do they show up on your list after you've hit a certain point in the basic weapons (slash/bludg/piece/chop up to advanced?).

Also are there other weapon types beyond that?

Lastly, is it a bad idea to try and use whips? Every description I've seen shows it as not being a true weapon.

Warriors get polearms after mastering chopping, and trident after mastering piercing.  The only way to get those skills is to be a warrior and master those skills, or to request the skills as a special application.

There was at least one whip that was coded as a slashing weapon, so using that one would be the same as using any other slashing weapon.  Most whips are 'whipping' weapons, so using it wouldn't improve your skill with it unless you got the 'whipping' weapons skill (assuming it even exists) as a special application perk.

On the other hand, as far as I know, it doesn't matter if you're skilled or not with a weapon if you're using it in your off hand...the to-hit there seems* to solely run off of your dual wield skill and base offense.  So you could equip a whip as a secondary weapon and it would work just as well as any other weapon in your secondary hand.

*I haven't extensively tested this, but I suppose you'd be able to tell in short order.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Quote from: Synthesis on September 19, 2016, 02:53:26 PM
The only way to get those skills is to be a warrior and master those skills, or to request the skills as a special application.

I tried this and got flat out denied. Maybe someone else would have more luck, but yeah. That's pretty much when I decided I'd never be able to use an advanced weapon. Well. I've used knife-weapons and razors before, but those were very unimpressive.

There is no "whipping weapons" skill. I found this out when I tried to have a gladiator that specialized in whips and shields.