Backstab

Started by Reiloth, August 21, 2016, 10:17:48 PM

Quote from: Delirium on September 12, 2016, 12:57:17 PM
Synth's hyperbole about being able to indie train in 5-10 minutes is questionable at best. Especially at higher levels.

Its not hyperbole, because I DID it. I got Account Noted for it, but its possible.

Would you rather be a no-name indie hunter who can kill bahamets and dies stupidly in obscurity, or would you rather build relationships and tell stories?

I don't think it has to be one or the other in any way whatsoever, nor is anyone suggesting it is.

If you're having problems recruiting people or training them up to your level I feel bad for you son, but that's the role you chose and you can work on fixing at least part of that.

I've never had trouble "recruiting" people, or training them up. The problem is actively training for 10days played and not seeing the skill you're working on go past Apprentice (which is, coincidentally, where it started).

When I was in the Legions, I had to do some INCREDIBLY questionable shit to get my skills higher, and it required a Lunar Alignment for it to be done. I shouldn't require a particular PC, with a particular skillset, with similar playtimes and goals. Not when I KNOW there are ways to do it otherwise, in less time, with more social RP opportunities.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Sometimes I do wish we could discuss code in depth.

Not saying the system's perfect, I'm saying it's not as bad as Synth et all are saying it is. It can use further improvement, but if you're not seeing the needle move at all, then you need to adjust your own approach (and no, it doesn't require "critter grinding", but I can't exactly go into particulars). The solution is pretty realistic, but not immediately obvious.

September 12, 2016, 01:24:47 PM #202 Last Edit: September 12, 2016, 01:28:21 PM by Synthesis
Synth's hyperbole about being able to indie train in 5-10 minutes is questionable at best. Especially at higher levels.

Would you rather be a no-name indie hunter who can kill bahamets and dies stupidly in obscurity, or would you rather build relationships and tell stories?

If you're having problems recruiting people or training them up to your level I feel bad for you son, but that's the role you chose and you can work on fixing at least part of that.

It's not hyperbole.

All you need to skill up is being able to fail a single time.  I don't know exactly how the timer, %gain, %chance-to-gain things work, exactly, but as long as you can at least get a fail, eventually you will get a skillgain.

The plateau phase is all about not being able to generate that single fail that you need.  I find it highly questionable whether you'd be able to generate those fails at advanced or above on a non-magick-buffed human, even at the highest levels of base D.

Once your base O/D gets insanely high, then yes...even the most uber critters around Allanak you'll need to kill three or four of them to generate a single failure, even with a weapon that you have zero skill in, which means it will take you longer than 5-10 minutes.  However, to get one weapon skill to master...you'll still be getting "easy" fails, so you can pop out, get your fail, then go back home.

I'm going to tell you all how to train in a clan to maximum effect, since everyone is confused.

You -cannot- simply bang away at each other.

You have to set it up so that one person plays defense, and maximizes everything about their gear, encumbrance, status, etc. so that their defense is absolutely the best it can possibly be.  This usually means stripping down to very light encumbrance and etwo'ing the weapon that you're the most skilled with.  Use disengage as soon as the fight starts and -only- defend against the attacker.

Then one person has to play offense (this person will be the one getting trained).  This person has to make sure that their offensive capability is absolutely the worst it can possibly be (without getting into the realm of code prohibiting you from generating a skillgain at all).  Get your encumbrance to "heavy, but manageable."  If you only want to train your weapon skill, ep it and don't use a secondary weapon.  If you want to train etwo, etwo a weapon that you have zero skill in.  If you want to train dual wield, 'es' a weapon and use no primary weapon (or ep a shield).

This works best if you're training while the black moon is up.

Even under those circumstances, I seriously doubt you'll be able to get to master training only on non-magick-buffed humanoids.  PC agility + base D doesn't seem to get high enough to ever reliably counter PC weapon skill + base O at high levels.  I am almost certain that parries and blocks do not count as skill failures for your weapon/style skill.  Only a dodge will count.  If you aren't getting dodges, you aren't failing.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

September 12, 2016, 02:04:11 PM #203 Last Edit: September 12, 2016, 02:43:51 PM by Delirium
That's... not exactly how I trained, and I hit master piercing weapons during a spar. So. Uh. I don't know what else to say, y'all.

Edit for clarification because geez you guys.

Quote from: Delirium on September 12, 2016, 02:04:11 PM
That's... not exactly how I trained, and I hit master during a spar. So. Uh. I don't know what else to say, y'all.

Who were you training against, and how long did it take?

Mundane human ranger/protector, 20 days played, neither of us were "buffed" and I didn't focus on getting in a training session every play session/hour.

Quote from: Delirium on September 12, 2016, 02:21:12 PM
Mundane human ranger/protector, 20 days played, neither of us were "buffed" and I didn't focus on getting in a training session every play session/hour.

*shrug*  You're clearly an exception to the rule, then.  I still suspect there's more to the story, but you probably aren't going to divulge details that would ruin your case.

September 12, 2016, 02:39:58 PM #208 Last Edit: September 12, 2016, 02:43:37 PM by Riev
Ranger/Protector...

My specific gripe was weapon skills, and this combination wouldn't have the issue I'm talking about, due to skill levels in general.

If you're talking about what I THINK you're talking about, Delirium, that skill is known to go up with use, not just with misses. I was talking about weapon skills (and I'm sure Synthesis was too)
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

Quote from: Delirium on September 12, 2016, 02:38:27 PM

You're literally the only one who apparently doesn't have a problem with what we're describing, and you think pointing that out is somehow worthy of mockery?

Get over yourself.

What the fuck did you just fucking say about me, you little bitch? I'll have you know I graduated top of my class in the Turaal University, and I've been involved in numerous secret raids on The Guild, and I have over 300 confirmed PKs. I am trained in poisons and I'm the top archer in the entire Known World. You are nothing to me but just another pair of boots. I will wipe you the fuck out with precision the likes of which has never been seen before in the Known, mark my fucking cards. You think you can get away with saying that shit to me over the Internet? Think again, fucker. As we speak I am contacting my secret network of twinks on the Shadowboards and your PC is being traced right now so you better prepare for the PK, maggot. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your character. You're fucking ganked, kid. I can be anywhere, anytime, and I can kill you in over seven hundred ways, and that's just with my bare hands. Not only am I extensively trained in unarmed combat, but I have access to the entire arsenal of the codedly strong weapons and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable ass off the face of Armageddon, you little shit. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little "clever" comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your fucking tongue. But you couldn't, you didn't, and now you're paying the price, you goddamn idiot. I will shit fury all over you and you will drown in it. You're fucking dead, kiddo.