In Focus: Allanaki Fashions

Started by Cayuga, August 08, 2016, 08:55:05 PM

This makes me want to start a thread on rinthi fashions.
Quote from: Synthesis on August 23, 2016, 07:10:09 PM
I'm asking for evidence, not telling you all to fuck off.

No, I'm telling you to fuck off, now, because you're being a little bitch.

Quote from: bardlyone on August 10, 2016, 12:05:53 AM
... If you genuinely believe that your blood is what makes you better...

Silk soothes the nobilites' deep-seated insecurities.
Quote from: Miradus on January 26, 2017, 11:36:32 AM
I'm just looking for a general consensus. Or Moe's opinion. Either one generally can be accepted as canon.

Some Allanaki fashion tips for men:

You can never go wrong with a desert onesie..and do not forget the bandolier.

For those well to do hunters,  like this ginger haired Rider, after hours layers in an urban camouflage pattern set you apart from the rest. And those boots..perfect for stowing a knife or two.

At your table, the XXXXXXXX templar says in sirihish, echoing:
     "Everyone is SAFE in His Walls."

August 11, 2016, 08:23:25 AM #53 Last Edit: August 11, 2016, 08:26:19 AM by Desertman
Quote from: Norcal on August 10, 2016, 07:34:57 PM

Perfect for ensuring you get the shit kicked out of you and left to walk naked through the desert while all the other men laugh at you and tear your silly clothes up into scraps of cloth for bandaging their glorious combat wounds.

Ahahahhahahahaaa.

We should devote a thread to just writing sdescs for this guy.

The pale, ginger, fabulous man.

(Jaime Lannister's little brother above isn't so bad. Pretty cool getup actually.)

Quote from: James de Monet on April 09, 2015, 01:54:57 AM
My phone now autocorrects "damn" to Dman.
Quote from: deathkamon on November 14, 2015, 12:29:56 AM
The young daughter has been filled.

Quote from: bardlyone on August 10, 2016, 02:16:47 AM
Quote from: Reiloth on August 10, 2016, 12:22:44 AM
Quote from: bardlyone on August 10, 2016, 12:05:53 AM
Quote from: Jihelu on August 09, 2016, 11:58:40 PM
I've yet to see a commoner wear more than 1 piece of silk and even then they were like, a commonly known aide.
And usually then they wear their employer aba/thing.
I think a good way to learn it is:
Do they have a guard?
Are they wearing 3+ pieces of silk?
Are you sure they aren't a nobles ho?

Yeah, that's largely thanks so a sumptuary thing which I frankly HATE. Silk is freely available for any commoner to buy. Metal is not.

If you want to make it where commoners can't freely wear silk around anywhere, you ought to stop stocking it publicly.

In fact, it's about the only thing I liked about Tuluk, was that I didn't have silk off limits. I hate sumptuary laws. If you genuinely believe that your blood is what makes you better, and the person is a loyal servant of one of the ruling houses with all the markers to indicate it, I see no reason why they should be harassed for buying something that's traded freely by a great merchant house.

That's its own whole ball of wax. But yes, I cannot state enough how much I hate this artificial sumptuary crap w/regards to silk.

Commoners can get and wear silk freely. They can't with metal. I could understand being bent af if one was wearing metal. Silk... honestly, not at all.

Except it's like part of documentation?

Unless "more commonly" translate to "illegal", I don't know where you're getting that. Can you point me to where it says that?

Bolded the bits that are relevant. You're stating your opinion ("I hate that Commoners can't wear silk") and then twisting it to make it seem like it's OK that Commoners wear Silk ("Commoners can get and wear silk.")

Just because they can do something, doesn't make it more or less against documentation. A Rinther can also sit at the bar in Red's Retreat, but that probably won't end well for them. So could an elf.

There are aspects about documentation, especially the more nuanced 'social documentation' for cities, that rely on players moreso than Staff to upkeep and adhere to. Humans and Elves not making quick friends with half-elves, for instance. Or Gemmed being shunned at worst, used at best, but rarely a 'friend' with a mundane. Just as well, the taboo behind Commoners wearing silk is their close replication of Nobility. We've seen very similar movements in our own world, with societies where certain colors were prohibited except by noble/ruling castes, where certain styles of clothing were forbidden to people of certain class or even color.

So -- While you want to have 'silk' appended to the end of your clothing item, maybe you could consider the documentation Staff wrote for Allanak when it comes to fashion, and try to adhere to it, because it makes the game world more believable and that's what everyone wants at the end of the day.
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

Quote from: Desertman on August 11, 2016, 08:23:25 AM

Perfect for ensuring you get the shit kicked out of you and left to walk naked through the desert while all the other men laugh at you and tear your silly clothes up into scraps of cloth for bandaging their glorious combat wounds.

Ahahahhahahahaaa.

(Jaime Lannister's little brother above isn't so bad. Pretty cool getup actually.)

Aren't you pretty much a stereotypical 'queer bashin' Texan' by now?
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

FYI, my elf sitting in Red's struck up an unlikely friendship that payed off in epic proportions. Short term, yeah, was going to get my ass beat, long term, defying common sense has its place.

Quote from: Dunetrade55 on August 11, 2016, 11:24:23 AM
FYI, my elf sitting in Red's struck up an unlikely friendship that payed off in epic proportions. Short term, yeah, was going to get my ass beat, long term, defying common sense has its place.

Right, but if the exception to the rule becomes the rule, then it is no longer an exception.

The taboo of silk on a commoner is very much in the eye of the beholder. A Templar or Noble can make a Commoner's life hell if they want to, but if they're in with the right people, they can wear silk without much of an eyebat from the same types of people. An Elf is a commoner -- If they were wearing Silk, they might even get tossed into the Arena, because who needs anything more than a flimsy excuse to arrest an Elf?

There's more nuance to this than 'You Commoner. You No Wear Silk'.

~Jack Vance~

Quote from: Reiloth on August 11, 2016, 11:22:54 AM
Quote from: Desertman on August 11, 2016, 08:23:25 AM

Ahahahhahahahaaa.

Aren't you pretty much a stereotypical 'queer bashin' Texan' by now?

I'm an equal opportunity basher. I don't care how many dicks you suck.

(I'm making fun of the fact the guy doesn't look like he belongs in an Armageddon combat troop of stone sword swinging veterans and the thought of seeing him in one wearing those clothes is making me laugh. I never once said anything about this guy's sexual orientation or his sexual preferences. I'm not sure if this is bait, or if I somehow struck a personal issue nerve with you. If anything....I'm pale/ginger/goofy clothes bashing....)

Let's take a few giant steps back and keep that kind of discussion out of this thread.

This thread is for productive discussion of Allanaki fashion.

This thread is not for making fun of Allanaki fashion. Or any other topic.

Take it to another thread if you must. Derail is going to get moderated out.

I agree, Reiloth, it IS much more complicated than that, which is as it should be. My elf never DID wear silk, but he dressed quite well. He never went into Red's again either (though he should have)... when you see a well-dressed commoner, you should think "Either this person is an idiot, or I should NOT fuck with them." Anyway, end derail, apologies, more fashion pics pls.

This seems as good a place as any to ask: what do folks envision when they see someone decked out in sandcloth? Part of me wants to imagine a tramp in a potato sack but I think it's more complicated than that.

Even if I only play fighters who never get to change out of their armor, I'd like to see some attention turned to commoner fashions, at least here in the thread. It's what most of us (theoretically) wear.

Saris like ChiBiTama posted earlier seem like good non-combatant/formal wear, but don't seem practical for the vast majority of Allanak's laboring populace.

Quote from: BadSkeelz on August 16, 2016, 01:21:54 PM
This seems as good a place as any to ask: what do folks envision when they see someone decked out in sandcloth?

I think of non-armor dothraki clothes, ie dany's handmaids here:

Quote from: Maester Aemon Targaryen
What is honor compared to a woman's love? ...Wind and words. Wind and words. We are only human, and the gods have fashioned us for love. That is our great glory, and our great tragedy.

I personally love the Max Max clothing, although this may lean more towards punk sorta fashion:

And of course that feathered headdress:

Sometimes, severity is the price we pay for greatness

I think all of that is pretty accurate actually more or less. Certainly the right "feel" in my opinion.

August 16, 2016, 02:17:25 PM #65 Last Edit: August 16, 2016, 02:19:21 PM by Iiyola

Sometimes, severity is the price we pay for greatness

August 16, 2016, 04:48:07 PM #66 Last Edit: August 16, 2016, 05:06:58 PM by Norcal
Sandcloth

This is actually linen yet it captures what I see as the texture.

Women from a mining family in the commoners quarters

Norcal, you and I are in alignment on this.
Quote from: Riev on June 12, 2019, 02:20:04 PM
Do you kill your sparring partners once they are useless to you, so that you are king?

I'm enjoying the shit out of this thread.

That is all.
A staff member sends you:
"Normally we don't see a <redacted> walk into a room full of <redacted> and start indiscriminately killing."

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."

Quote from: Majikal on August 16, 2016, 09:29:00 PM
I'm enjoying the shit out of this thread.

That is all.
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

August 17, 2016, 12:48:33 AM #70 Last Edit: August 17, 2016, 12:50:51 AM by BadSkeelz
Quote from: Iiyola on August 16, 2016, 01:41:30 PM
I personally love the Max Max clothing, although this may lean more towards punk sorta fashion:

Quote from: Norcal on August 16, 2016, 04:48:07 PM
Sandcloth

This is actually linen yet it captures what I see as the texture.

Women from a mining family in the commoners quarters

Yeah, great pictures both!

I'm always a little skeptical of bare flesh on my southern characters, but Iiyola's first picture does a great job of conveying form while also providing protection. Tight sleeves would be a item that lets you cover skin while still showing off your curves as well as color of your choosing.

Let me introduce ya'll to an almost-universal form of desert/steppe/savannah wear: the thobe:

I hear you. Kinda boring, no? But practically everyone wore them in the 19th century and earlier. To the point where they were pretty much a standard unit of trade (the amount of tobacco or sugar you'd bought would be measured in plain white linen or cotton thobes) from Western Africa to the steppes of Uzbekistan.

Which means there are a lot of different styles.

For example, the Somali thobe:

(as a side note, check out the traditional Somali dye on this guy's hair. It's awesome. Ignore the button-down shirt, but the scarf's authentic.)

Here's a woman's version:

Or, I dunno...Yemeni thobes?

Or Sudanese thobes!

Or Khajeeli, or Punjabi, or Tajik, or or or or....

and they can be plain

or fancy

Some even good enough for a noble to wear!

As a parting note, I can think of no better way for a fashionable Borsail to say, "I have more money than you," than this:

There is no general doctrine which is not capable of eating out our morality if unchecked by the deep-seated habit of direct fellow-feeling with individual fellow-men. -George Eliot

The female figure in a mask of obsidian coins exclaims in noble accented sirihish:
"I AM BETTER BY DESIGN!"

Oh I'm sorry, did I hear Burqa?

Or was it Abaya?

One can never go wrong with beadwork.....Is it silk or just gossamer linen? Only the stylist knows...

Wrap dress, perhaps?
Quote from: AdamBluewear Inix pelvis
You wear a wood-carved inix strap-on on your pelvis.
etwo wood
You reach down and grasp your wood-carved inix strap-on.
kill booty