In Focus: Allanaki Fashions

Started by Cayuga, August 08, 2016, 08:55:05 PM

First minute or two...this is a good post.
Third minute...this is a GOOD post.
Fourth minute...this post is fantastic.

Awesome post.  Can't praise it enough and really can't wait for the next one.

Re: House Colors

I've played a variety of nobles, and they only wear their House colors when they want to or haven't had a chance to get decked out by Kadius yet.  My commoner employees will wear whatever their House colors are, but my nobles themselves typically expect everyone to know who they are without being head-to-heels in one of their two thematic colors.  They have shiny silver rings proclaiming that they're better than you. 

Most often, in order of most to least influential, my nobles wear colors:
1) that a PC Kadian said looked good on them, recently sold to them, or said are in season
2) are in season in the Kadian shop
3) are white
4) are House colors
5) are whatever the fuck my noble wants to wear for some reason because they do what they want
Former player as of 2/27/23, sending love.

Fine. I'll be the one to say it. I hate you, team colors. I hate you.

If I were reading a fantasy book where the servants dressed to House colors, I'd be like...yeah. They're servants.

For the nobility, however, I think they should all best please their own whims. It's slavish to follow their House colors so stringently, and if that were in a novel, I'd find it pretty silly. Those restrictions make sense for the lowblooded commoners, but not for the Highborn. How much more fun would Allanaki high style be? The Kadian item database is massive, but there are limited items that make sense and go together for clans. Throw open the doors, I say!

Lord McGruffin McTangerinePants should be able to dress his favored servant in only feathered items or whatever, because that makes things more fun. I want to always be with you, my fellow players, in pursuit of fun. I bring this up in particular because it's just game tradition to do it the way we do. There hasn't ever been any documentation to support this. Good deal, too, because how much weirder would it be that the Chosen did it the same way. It's meta. We want the newbs to be able to tell which House is what. I love the newbs, but let's just teach them to look at rings.

We can free ourselves!

btw valeria - aw yissss.
Quote from: Riev on June 12, 2019, 02:20:04 PM
Do you kill your sparring partners once they are useless to you, so that you are king?

So long as your outfits come with a Flee-penalty I think I could be alright ;)

Fuck Nobles wearing gloves, though.

Quote from: BadSkeelz on August 09, 2016, 08:52:04 PM

Fuck Nobles wearing gloves, though.

Seriously. If you are ever a noble wearing gloves and you expect people to bow to you but they can't look at your rings, well, they have no damn reason to think they should be able to. They can't see the single item that GUARANTEES a highborn: metal.

Ergo, it's your own damn fault.

I get it if you're trying to look like a commoner, but otherwise, what gives?

:/ It makes me sadface. I mean... just because a pc is wearing a shitload of silk doesn't mean they're a noble. They could well be a concubine. It's the visible metal ring that says you're the noble.
Quote from: Maester Aemon Targaryen
What is honor compared to a woman's love? ...Wind and words. Wind and words. We are only human, and the gods have fashioned us for love. That is our great glory, and our great tragedy.

Okay so, also...focus on sandals.

Here's the bad news, lads and ladies:

Sandals: Generally worn by anyone in the north. In the southlands, such are worn only by gladiators and/or slaves.

http://old.armageddon.org/general/clothing.html
Quote from: Riev on June 12, 2019, 02:20:04 PM
Do you kill your sparring partners once they are useless to you, so that you are king?

Quote from: path on August 09, 2016, 09:29:24 PM
Okay so, also...focus on sandals.

Here's the bad news, lads and ladies:

Sandals: Generally worn by anyone in the north. In the southlands, such are worn only by gladiators and/or slaves.

http://old.armageddon.org/general/clothing.html

Needs moar slippers and stuff that aren't sandals or boots then, imo, given that the commoner's clothing shop (nonkadian) regularly stocks beaded sandals and there's little other than 'shoes' (which, btw how boring and nondescriptive is that word) for footwear if you aren't in heels which... not terribly practical. I'd like to see welen's stock more slippers and minna's more heels, since, you know, nobles don't have to do all the running but commoners do, making slippers a hell of a lot more practical. >.>
What is honor compared to a woman's love? ...Wind and words. Wind and words. We are only human, and the gods have fashioned us for love. That is our great glory, and our great tragedy.

My Borsail wore a lot of blue and green.

Wearing House colors is cool, especially for formal functions, but would you want to wear the same color every day in real life?

I mean, it helps us tell who's on what team in Game of Thrones, but I think the signet rings are clue enough.

I had a signet ring once. No one bowed to me  :'(
The Ooze is strong with this one

Quote from: 8bitgrandpa on June 28, 2016, 12:01:20 AM
You are our official hammer, Ooze.

Malachi 2:3

I always kind of like it when nobles wear gloves and then act peeved when they're not recognized. ICly they are deluded and think that everyone should recognize them just because they're better.

Most nobles wear silk on silk on silk.
Thats a good sign

Quote from: Jihelu on August 09, 2016, 11:31:59 PM
Most nobles wear silk on silk on silk.
Thats a good sign

Unless it's a concubine. Which are likened to those small purse dogs in the docs, and well... people buy mini louis vuitton and gucci for their purse puppies too.

It could also be other positions which I've seen on occasion.

It's a good sign, but it's still embarassing to be bowing to someone who's not a noble, just because you assume something that is freely available (silk) signifies the same thing as something that is not (metal) because Lord Dicknballs decided to wear gloves.

I've yet to see a commoner wear more than 1 piece of silk and even then they were like, a commonly known aide.
And usually then they wear their employer aba/thing.
I think a good way to learn it is:
Do they have a guard?
Are they wearing 3+ pieces of silk?
Are you sure they aren't a nobles ho?

Quote from: Jihelu on August 09, 2016, 11:58:40 PM
I've yet to see a commoner wear more than 1 piece of silk and even then they were like, a commonly known aide.
Do they have a guard?

Yeah, that's largely thanks so a sumptuary thing which I frankly HATE. Silk is freely available for any commoner to buy. Metal is not.

If you want to make it where commoners can't freely wear silk around anywhere, you ought to stop stocking it publicly.

In fact, it's about the only thing I liked about Tuluk, was that I didn't have silk off limits. I hate sumptuary laws. If you genuinely believe that your blood is what makes you better, and the person is a loyal servant of one of the ruling houses with all the markers to indicate it, I see no reason why they should be harassed for buying something that's traded freely by a great merchant house.

That's its own whole ball of wax. But yes, I cannot state enough how much I hate this artificial sumptuary crap w/regards to silk.

Commoners can get and wear silk freely. They can't with metal. I could understand being bent af if one was wearing metal. Silk... honestly, not at all.

"If you want to make it where commoners can't freely wear silk around anywhere, you ought to stop stocking it publicly. "
I agree
Theres a silk robe in a certain quarter.
In this quarter the people who would be buying said robe WOULD NOT BE ALLOWED TO WEAR IT.
To which I beg the question
WHY IS IT THERE??????

Hey, hey, hey now, silk isn't illegal for commoners, they just can't wear it.
You take the last bite of your scooby snack.
This tastes like ordinary meat.
There is nothing left now.

Quote from: bardlyone on August 10, 2016, 12:05:53 AM
Do they have a guard?

Yeah, that's largely thanks so a sumptuary thing which I frankly HATE. Silk is freely available for any commoner to buy. Metal is not.

If you want to make it where commoners can't freely wear silk around anywhere, you ought to stop stocking it publicly.

In fact, it's about the only thing I liked about Tuluk, was that I didn't have silk off limits. I hate sumptuary laws. If you genuinely believe that your blood is what makes you better, and the person is a loyal servant of one of the ruling houses with all the markers to indicate it, I see no reason why they should be harassed for buying something that's traded freely by a great merchant house.

That's its own whole ball of wax. But yes, I cannot state enough how much I hate this artificial sumptuary crap w/regards to silk.

Commoners can get and wear silk freely. They can't with metal. I could understand being bent af if one was wearing metal. Silk... honestly, not at all.

Except it's like part of documentation?
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

Quote from: Patuk on August 10, 2016, 12:20:13 AM
Hey, hey, hey now, silk isn't illegal for commoners, they just can't wear it.
Whats the point of buying a fancy silk robe then?
Thats for sell in an area for commoners

August 10, 2016, 12:49:46 AM #43 Last Edit: August 10, 2016, 12:51:57 AM by boog
How about we stick to the topic, which is to illustrate what we think of Allanaki cultural fashions?

If you're bothered by something being on offer, maybe idea it, typo it, whatever, and staff can look at removing or adding items to shops? If shit's for sale in a quarter it's not meant to be, it might've been crafted by a player, hoping to get a little coin, anyway.

Just because it's on offer doesn't mean it should be worn by just anyone.

A commoner wearing some linen or cotton, instead of silk? Modest, plain.
Case: he's more likely to shoot up a mcdonalds for selling secret obama sauce on its big macs
Kismet: didn't see you in GQ homey
BadSkeelz: Whatever you say, Kim Jong Boog
Quote from: Tuannon
There is only one boog.

Quote from: Reiloth on August 10, 2016, 12:22:44 AM
Quote from: bardlyone on August 10, 2016, 12:05:53 AM
Do they have a guard?

Except it's like part of documentation?

Unless "more commonly" translate to "illegal", I don't know where you're getting that. Can you point me to where it says that?

House colors are always something that has annoyed me. My character isn't a walking billboard and my noble isn't a brand manager.

I don't even like house cloaks.
Now you're looking for the secret. But you won't find it because of course, you're not really looking. You don't really want to work it out. You want to be fooled.

Quote from: Jingo on August 10, 2016, 04:27:51 AM
House colors are always something that has annoyed me. My character isn't a walking billboard and my noble isn't a brand manager.

Touche. I think if everyone could wear a piece of jewelry or a single article to indicate their status (one which was NOT restricted to being a floor length thing in house colors), there would be less of this. But as it is, I at least (can't speak for others) will tend to wear house colors simply to match the stuff the job requires be worn, because I hate clashing colors. It makes me cringe.

I've never played a role where fashion was a thing for my character.

:-\
Quote from: James de Monet on April 09, 2015, 01:54:57 AM
My phone now autocorrects "damn" to Dman.
Quote from: deathkamon on November 14, 2015, 12:29:56 AM
The young daughter has been filled.

It wasn't acceptable in the North to run about tarted up in silks as a commoner. I had ad a long lived Kadian who tried to convey that. Perhaps being the north the censure was just too subtle.
It was more loose than in the South, but commoners dressing like nobles wasn't ok there.
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

Quote from: bardlyone on August 10, 2016, 06:14:04 AM
Quote from: Jingo on August 10, 2016, 04:27:51 AM

Touche. I think if everyone could wear a piece of jewelry or a single article to indicate their status (one which was NOT restricted to being a floor length thing in house colors), there would be less of this. But as it is, I at least (can't speak for others) will tend to wear house colors simply to match the stuff the job requires be worn, because I hate clashing colors. It makes me cringe.

Yes please. A shoulder pin would be much easier to work with.