elves and pack animals

Started by Fortune, July 17, 2016, 04:56:57 PM

Quote from: Raptor_Dan on August 10, 2016, 01:40:22 PM
Quote from: Riev on August 10, 2016, 10:02:31 AM
I must admit, saying an elf would never ride on a skimmer doesn't make sense to me. I thought the idea that they do not ride pack beasts or wagons, was because they are too proud to consider a modality of movement that isn't their own legs/under their own power.

I think it stands to reason that an elf wouldn't rider a skimmer UNLESS they were the one piloting it.

No elf would ever pilot a skimmer, then, because failing at it is very easily catastrophic, so you can't even do it until you've mastered pilot, which requires a lot of practice on a land wagon.

Checkmate.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Quote from: whitt on August 10, 2016, 10:20:19 AM
I must admit, saying an elf would never ride on a skimmer doesn't make sense to me. I thought the idea that they do not ride pack beasts or wagons, was because they are too proud to consider a modality of movement that isn't their own legs/under their own power.

This also raises an interesting question: If an elf could fly... would it?

First off, I propose testing to see if each elf can fly.  Say from the top of the Gaj... but I digress...

What about an elf that knew someone that could help them run easier across the sands?  Is that also "cheating" in the elven mindset?  Or is it just riding, because that is 100% relying on someone else's effort? 

Elves don't seem to object to gear that makes it easier to run, I suppose gickery would be the same paradigm?
I actually can answer this question.
I either sent in a staff question via request or saw this answer on the forums...but!

A magickally made mount, you know the ones, are subject to the same mount rules that apply to all elves. Even if obvious magick.

Heres the kicker.
Elves can fly/teleport/do all that stuff.
I think the reason was because elves can't normally fly or something? Or because it was their own 'ability' and that they weren't 'riding' anything. You aren't 'riding' Whiran winds.
You would be riding a mount made of the element, though.

(What I just said /SHOULD/ be correct last I checked)

Quote from: Synthesis on August 10, 2016, 01:59:34 PM
Quote from: Raptor_Dan on August 10, 2016, 01:40:22 PM

I think it stands to reason that an elf wouldn't rider a skimmer UNLESS they were the one piloting it.

No elf would ever pilot a skimmer, then, because failing at it is very easily catastrophic, so you can't even do it until you've mastered pilot, which requires a lot of practice on a land wagon.

Checkmate.

*the crowd draws back, covering their mouths* Oh, snap!!

My response, "There are elves that don't think they're instant masters at everything? Elves that don't take risks with catastrophic consequences of failure?"
Quote from: Miradus on January 26, 2017, 11:36:32 AM
I'm just looking for a general consensus. Or Moe's opinion. Either one generally can be accepted as canon.