*A tall strange shadow is here*: Scan, Look, and Friends

Started by nauta, July 07, 2016, 04:08:46 PM

I'm not sure if this would be best put in the RP forum or the New Player Question Forum, or here.  So I put it here!

Here's the scenario: You are walking around with 'scan' engaged, and see a shadow.  You want to get a better look, so you do 'look shadow' and get: You do not see that here.

So New Player Question:

1. Is there a way --- other than to spam the 'look shadow' command over and over --- to, so to say, get a bead on a shadow that you see?  (I'm pretty sure the answer is: no, there isn't.)

RP Question:

2. What's the best RP/Game Play etiquette in such cases?  Do a spam of look, and emote out: em looks about?  Is spamming look considered a bit twinky?

Code Idea:

3. Perhaps we could have a command, something like: detect shadow.  It'd have delays and so on, but it'd have a higher chance of detecting that shadow than a mere look does.
as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

I asked something similar to this awhile ago, and was told to try 'watch shadow'.

It doesn't fail nearly as much.  You lose your scan, but you focus in on that shadow you saw, and it no longer fades from view, allowing you to interact reliably with it.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

If you're trying to glimpse the thing with sub-par/borderline skill in scan or attributes you can end up needing to "l shadow" lots and lots. My personal method is to attempt to watch the said thing, thus making it much harder to remain hidden versus you.

Then you can emote/kill/shoot/tell/whisper whatever with relative ease.
A staff member sends you:
"Normally we don't see a <redacted> walk into a room full of <redacted> and start indiscriminately killing."

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."

July 07, 2016, 09:25:58 PM #3 Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 11:10:00 AM by Molten Heart
"It's too hot in the hottub!"

-James Brown

https://youtu.be/ZCOSPtyZAPA

I run anyway.

wwwnnnwwwnnnn;quit ooc mom wants me to take out the trash

Quote from: Miradus on July 07, 2016, 11:18:31 PM

I run anyway.

wwwnnnwwwnnnn;quit ooc mom wants me to take out the trash

okay wtf did I just... why am laughing at this.
Sweet chaos let it unfold upon the land.
Guided forever by my adoring loving hand.
It is I the nightmare that sleeps but shall wake.