New sponsored role: Outside the walls looking in

Started by Dresan, June 27, 2016, 07:40:40 PM

Yeah, if there is a character in game that could fit as the leader when there is none, I would rather have that as the leader and will typically promote such.  I typically do this all IC though, looking at what the NPCs would want and need.  If someone doesn't fit the NPC criteria, they likely won't get promoted.  Please don't go straight for the negative outlook.
Ourla:  You're like the oil paint on the canvas of evil.

Man, I really need to make some time for Arm again, that clan looks awesome :)
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

Damn sponsored roles!

I can attest that Ath is a rad dude and that Red Storm is also rad. Possibly irradiated. Also you can live in a windmill.

Quote from: Ath on June 28, 2016, 10:56:09 AM
Yeah, if there is a character in game that could fit as the leader when there is none, I would rather have that as the leader and will typically promote such.  I typically do this all IC though, looking at what the NPCs would want and need.  If someone doesn't fit the NPC criteria, they likely won't get promoted.  Please don't go straight for the negative outlook.

I live in the negative.

But good to hear that it was looked at internally first.

Quote from: Yam on June 28, 2016, 11:18:18 AM
Also you can live in a windmill.

Yeah but can you fight it??
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

June 28, 2016, 12:40:48 PM #30 Last Edit: June 28, 2016, 12:44:33 PM by Norcal
Sadly....no.

Quote from: Miradus on June 28, 2016, 11:51:45 AM
Quote from: Ath on June 28, 2016, 10:56:09 AM

I live in the negative.

But good to hear that it was looked at internally first.

I have within the last month seen Ath do exactly what he just said he would do. So no worries.  Also, this is an awesome thing, so why so much negativity?  Try it and you will have FUN!
At your table, the XXXXXXXX templar says in sirihish, echoing:
     "Everyone is SAFE in His Walls."

Guys, it's a silo.
as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

Quote from: nauta on June 28, 2016, 12:43:23 PM
Guys, it's a silo.

YOU SHUT YOUR LIE HOLE!  IT IS A GORRAM WINDMILL!
Yes. Read the thread if you want, or skip to page 7 and be dismissive.
-Reiloth

Words I repeat every time I start a post:
Quote from: Rathustra on June 23, 2016, 03:29:08 PM
Stop being shitty to each other.

Can I point out that the role call explicitly indicated that the person would have to be cool with building the clan back up?  If that isn't a stronger indicator that there are few to no characters willing or able to fill the spot, I'm not sure what is.
Former player as of 2/27/23, sending love.

This looks like another cool opportunity.  Why have so many been popping up while I'm on a character I enjoy ?

First that Elf family, Then The Bondmate, now this.   :'(  Cruel..cruel GDB.
The Ooze is strong with this one

Quote from: 8bitgrandpa on June 28, 2016, 12:01:20 AM
You are our official hammer, Ooze.

Malachi 2:3

Quote from: valeria on June 28, 2016, 01:52:09 PM
Can I point out that the role call explicitly indicated that the person would have to be cool with building the clan back up?  If that isn't a stronger indicator that there are few to no characters willing or able to fill the spot, I'm not sure what is.

Y'all sure know how to dogpile on someone.

Way to go, HELPER.

Quote from: Rathustra on June 28, 2016, 02:46:46 PM
Yo I heard there was a dogpile?

You're too late for your big fat producer knees in my back.

Get to the dogpile early or you don't get in at all.

Quote from: valeria on June 28, 2016, 01:52:09 PM

SHHHHHH!!!  It's not supposed to be that obvious!   :-X  (Though seriously, the Dust Runners are going to need some help, but I already have some help for the person that gets the role lined up.  I will not plop someone down and go... "Good luck!" then leave them.)

And thank you for the kind words.  I try to be helpful, I may not be super active, but I try to make the fun happen.

Someone needs to change my forum title to ANGRY FORUM WOMAN asap, so that I'm reminded never to post anything tongue-in-cheek without smileys.

;) ;) ;D ;) :-*
Former player as of 2/27/23, sending love.

I do hope, and this is assumed, that the person in charge of the roll can equally fuck up the clan as well as fix it. If they act a fool and get mega stomped by Nak/Raiders/whatever I really hope I don't see another sponsored roll/they just get fixed ooc by staff.
Though I'm not saying they should be completely wiped out because of that.
But I am saying It would be nice.

I'm not using my Ranger/slipknife this time I swear for the last time I'm NOT hunting sponsored rolls guys pls

Quote from: Nergal on June 28, 2016, 10:13:29 AM
Quote[spice] hasn't really received any quality of life changes that would make it worth while to use OOCly or ICly
The effects of spice are completely separate from the role of being a smuggler.

Quote from: Dresan on June 27, 2016, 07:40:40 PM
These things don't really detract from the RP opportunities this sponsored role can offer, but again, I'm really hoping this clan will bring some attention to the areas I mentioned. :)

Yup, we seem to agree on that.  :)

Quote from: Jihelu on June 28, 2016, 07:35:41 PM
I do hope, and this is assumed, that the person in charge of the roll can equally fuck up the clan as well as fix it. If they act a fool and get mega stomped by Nak/Raiders/whatever I really hope I don't see another sponsored roll/they just get fixed ooc by staff.

I'm not using my Ranger/slipknife this time I swear for the last time I'm NOT hunting sponsored rolls guys pls

Why does that make any sense? One 'Sponsored Role' is a cog in the virtual machine of the clan. Should Salarr close if there are no current PCs in the clan?

Clans come and go. I think Staff keeps an eye on what's working and what isn't. But just because some PC dies (probably in a stupid way) doesn't mean they should arbitrarily close a clan. I'm sure there is more that goes into it than that.
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

Quote from: Reiloth on June 28, 2016, 08:09:10 PM
Quote from: Jihelu on June 28, 2016, 07:35:41 PM

Why does that make any sense? One 'Sponsored Role' is a cog in the virtual machine of the clan. Should Salarr close if there are no current PCs in the clan?

Clans come and go. I think Staff keeps an eye on what's working and what isn't. But just because some PC dies (probably in a stupid way) doesn't mean they should arbitrarily close a clan. I'm sure there is more that goes into it than that.

less static werld dudez

Honestly, shitty leaders make for shitty clan play and a shitty game 99% of the time.

I've only ever been in one clan but they had good leadership and it was all-around fun to be a part of.

Except for the whole "nobody else plays at the same time you do" thing.

Seems like a clan like this one would be more open to a bunch of lone wolves wandering around, loosely organized around themes and roles.

Quote from: Miradus on June 28, 2016, 08:17:13 PM
I've only ever been in one clan but they had good leadership and it was all-around fun to be a part of.

Except for the whole "nobody else plays at the same time you do" thing.

Seems like a clan like this one would be more open to a bunch of lone wolves wandering around, loosely organized around themes and roles.

I would recommend: play the game for longer and join more, different clans. It isn't the 'clan' that makes it fun, it's the people in it.
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

Quote from: Miradus on June 28, 2016, 08:17:13 PM

Oh heck no... lone wolves die too damn easy.  I highly do not suggest that sort of mentality.

So it would be like other clans where you're not allowed to leave the safety of the walls except in a group?

Quote from: Miradus on June 29, 2016, 10:34:47 AM
So it would be like other clans where you're not allowed to leave the safety of the walls except in a group?

Never said that at all.  That's up to the person leading the crew to decided.  The Dust Runners do require a lot of independence in a way, they have to be able to do things on their own, but at the same point, being a lone wolf all the time can easily get you killed.

I've been in a clan or two that had a rule that was something akin to "Don't be absolutely useless/stupid and you can go outside if you want"

That being said I'm sometimes both of those but people sometimes trust your character for some reason.

Ironically my characters that don't play in clans are slightly less useless.