So many ideas...

Started by Lizzie, June 23, 2016, 08:40:42 AM

I  did not read one fucking post on this thread.

When page 3 opens with little Laura posting a massive chill pill, you walk the fuck away.

Get your shit together, guys, and look at my sig.
Yes. Read the thread if you want, or skip to page 7 and be dismissive.
-Reiloth

Words I repeat every time I start a post:
Quote from: Rathustra on June 23, 2016, 03:29:08 PM
Stop being shitty to each other.

I actually understand what Armaddict is getting at and because I skipped a bunch of posts in the middle fo the thread I misconstrued him. I actually agree and am goign to put effort into being more positive, and kinder with my posts.

Quote from: Malifaxis on June 24, 2016, 02:33:31 AM

You replied to three posts on page two.
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

Quote from: Malken on June 24, 2016, 03:00:55 AM

Holy crap.

I thought I was in the thread about meatcraft.  I was wondering how meatcraft went so wrong.

Still, guys, do some shit-togethering.

I'm going to go get another drink.
Yes. Read the thread if you want, or skip to page 7 and be dismissive.
-Reiloth

Words I repeat every time I start a post:
Quote from: Rathustra on June 23, 2016, 03:29:08 PM
Stop being shitty to each other.

Quote from: Malifaxis on June 24, 2016, 03:07:34 AM
Quote from: Malken on June 24, 2016, 03:00:55 AM

Holy crap.

I thought I was in the thread about meatcraft.  I was wondering how meatcraft went so wrong.

Still, guys, do some shit-togethering.

I'm going to go get another drink.

So many ideas... MEADCRAFT!
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

Didn't read all of this thread but I will say that about 90% of the recent changes to player-made clans, everything from who can pursue them, how much each step costs, the availability of NPCs, and the option of having a second character be a backup to keep the clan alive should the founder die.. ALL OF THAT is based, at least as far as I can tell, on the feedback generated on this forum.

And surprise surprise, pretty much the entirety of the changes have been welcomed and received positively. People are talking about the fact that now, elves could build a clanhall in the fucking rinth, for example, and I think what you have is a pretty obvious example of why it's good to have people suggest changes to things on a public forum.

All I can say to Lizzie's OP is it isn't your job, or anyone's job to filter through all the noise on the forum to pick the good from bad. It's also slightly stressful, I agree, to see frequent ideas suggested that you disagree with -- you feel pressured to chime in and voice your disagreement, in case the staff implement the change you don't want, I guess. But here's the thing -- this is just a game, and it's not perfect, and never will be. If a change happens that sucks, hopefully staff will be of the mind to eventually think twice on it, or revise the revision and get us back on track. Luckily there's lots of other people who are highly motivated to look through all the discussion: fresh minds and players, new staff and old staff, people with lots of time on their hands and super busy people who can just drop one good post every week. Altogether we make a community, and by definition communities are not perfectly harmonious

tl;dr, que sera
Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2

There's a difference between "let's all get along, be positive, never disagree, and sing songs together" and "let's have an effective discussion with effective disagreements."  Anyone who has studied persuasion, rhetoric, and argument can tell you that flipping out, throwing in a lot of straw men, jumping up and down, and waving your hands does not make an effective argument.  It actually turns people off from listening to you.  I guess if your goal is to vent and make a scene, it might work for you, but if your goal is discussion (hint: it's a discussion board) it's counterproductive.

So I'd like to see more "I disagree because X and Y" than "Your idea is stupid!  You're stupid!"  The second doesn't help anyone and certainly doesn't persuade people to your point of view.  This is a discussion board, not politics.  Shouting louder than an opponent doesn't make a point more effective.
Former player as of 2/27/23, sending love.

Quote from: valeria on June 24, 2016, 01:07:06 PM
There's a difference between "let's all get along, be positive, never disagree, and sing songs together" and "let's have an effective discussion with effective disagreements."  Anyone who has studied persuasion, rhetoric, and argument can tell you that flipping out, throwing in a lot of straw men, jumping up and down, and waving your hands does not make an effective argument.  It actually turns people off from listening to you.  I guess if your goal is to vent and make a scene, it might work for you, but if your goal is discussion (hint: it's a discussion board) it's counterproductive.

So I'd like to see more "I disagree because X and Y" than "Your idea is stupid!  You're stupid!"  The second doesn't help anyone and certainly doesn't persuade people to your point of view.  This is a discussion board, not politics.  Shouting louder than an opponent doesn't make a point more effective.

+2
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~