Bio, bitches. <3

Started by boog, June 23, 2016, 12:26:03 AM

Put in a bio. Be cool. I'm doing three.

Case: he's more likely to shoot up a mcdonalds for selling secret obama sauce on its big macs
Kismet: didn't see you in GQ homey
BadSkeelz: Whatever you say, Kim Jong Boog
Quote from: Tuannon
There is only one boog.

I will do you one further.

I am going to try to catch up my PC's history entirely.

Yes. Read the thread if you want, or skip to page 7 and be dismissive.
-Reiloth

Words I repeat every time I start a post:
Quote from: Rathustra on June 23, 2016, 03:29:08 PM
Stop being shitty to each other.

It's been a while since I last wrote a new bio update for my character.  I've been thinking I should get on that, but having Procrastinator (Master) on my RL skill sheet makes it a little difficult to fail and get on it.

After I get done taking my mother to her doctor's appointment, I may do this...maybe.
Quote from: Dalmeth
I've come to the conclusion that relaxing is not the lack of doing anything, but doing something that comes easily to you.

Quote from: Pale Horse on June 23, 2016, 08:38:30 AM
It's been a while since I last wrote a new bio update for my character.  I've been thinking I should get on that, but having Procrastinator (Master) on my RL skill sheet makes it a little difficult to fail and get on it.

After I get done taking my mother to her doctor's appointment, I may do this...maybe.

Same - but also I rarely ever bio, for the same reason I rarely send reports on characters when it's not required due to [sponsored role/specific activity/etc]. I like playing the game IN the game, not outside it.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

I could write bios all day but my characters really don't usually live long enough to justify a second or a third bio.

What's going to be in that second bio? Killed some tregil. A shik. Almost killed a gortok. Picked some flowers.

Quote from: Lizzie on June 23, 2016, 08:54:30 AM
Same - but also I rarely ever bio, for the same reason I rarely send reports on characters when it's not required due to [sponsored role/specific activity/etc]. I like playing the game IN the game, not outside it.
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

Quote from: Lizzie on June 23, 2016, 08:54:30 AM

I agree with this sentiment.  However, BIOs do help keep me on narrative track, so to speak: they help me remember the motivations and formulate new motivations so my story isn't just one random thing then another random thing then another random thing.  

I tend to do a lot of 'fill-me-in-later' BIOs...

bio add Something Great Just Happened, Click Here To Find Out
~

Then after a month or so, on a day when I can't log in (or when I'm idling waiting for PCs in my sphere) I'll go back in and fill them out.

More often than not, the bulk of my BIOs get filled in after my PC died.  (Another tip: You can still go into your dead PCs on the website and fill in their BIOs.)
as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

I like them.

I start every one with, "Dear diary..."

That's just it! I use them to let staff know what I'm doing without having to report in. If I don't feel like playing the game that day, or if I'm, "over-gamed," I take a day off, then come back and write a bio and see where things stand. Also, everything nauta said.

I like thinking of what my characters are doing vNPCly, too.

I don't get all the sudden bio hate. But if you guys don't want to, you don't need to post in my thread. :)

Also, Blaze, I will do three! And raise a fourth for more specific history information. *raises toast of Kah*
Case: he's more likely to shoot up a mcdonalds for selling secret obama sauce on its big macs
There is only one boog.

I'm not hating on them, I just didn't know they had any purpose beyond character approval.

I'm an indie. A dedicated indie. What does staff care about the exploits of an unaffiliated grebber?

Quote from: Miradus on June 23, 2016, 12:31:51 PM
I'm not hating on them, I just didn't know they had any purpose beyond character approval.

I'm an indie. A dedicated indie. What does staff care about the exploits of an unaffiliated grebber?

There's three Staff in charge of unaffiliated peeps. If you want your unaffiliated grebber to get noticed, then you gotta give them something to work with!
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

I'm not entirely sure I want to be noticed. :)

Quote from: Miradus on June 23, 2016, 12:49:01 PM

I'm not entirely sure I want to be noticed. :)

I encourage you to.  I get that you are a dedicated Indie player, but I think that if you start communicating more with staff and sending in regular reports along with doing bio entries that you will find the game is far more fascinating and a lot more fun. The more they know about what drives your character, the more they can put little tiny things into the game that will really hold your interest.  Tiny animations, single echoes for vast impact.
-Reiloth

Hrm. I'll consider it. In general though, I feel like this is MY story, not anyone else's. It's the epic, rags to riches tale of Joe the Grebber or Juan the Ranger and his life in the rugged wilderness.

I don't know that a lot of echoes or animations are going to change the storytelling that's going on in my head, and I'm not sure I want them to. Maybe. I guess it depends how it goes and whether it's force fed down my throat (like a railroad quest) or I remain in control.

Quote from: Miradus on June 23, 2016, 03:04:40 PM
Hrm. I'll consider it. In general though, I feel like this is MY story, not anyone else's. It's the epic, rags to riches tale of Joe the Grebber or Juan the Ranger and his life in the rugged wilderness.

I don't know that a lot of echoes or animations are going to change the storytelling that's going on in my head, and I'm not sure I want them to. Maybe. I guess it depends how it goes and whether it's force fed down my throat (like a railroad quest) or I remain in control.

I get it.  But I want you to think about something... what would they gain by controlling your character?  Staff has no interest in doing that.  They have no desire to say "Nope, actually, your character is doing this."  If you're out on some dune, and they echo that you can hear raptors crying somewhere nearby in a pack, they aren't forcing you to move... they're making the world realistic.  You can move... and if you move, you may avoid them, or you may attract their attention by movement.  It's all just flavor and realism, man. 

And while I absolutely agree with you that it is YOUR story.  This is time from YOUR life you are spending on the game, I would ask that you step back and take a breath and look at the fact that this is all OUR own story.  We all have our own characters, and those stories are uniquely ours, however because of the communal nature of the game, YOUR story is also ours.  By impacting the lives of our characters with your Joe The Grebber Gettin Rich Or Dyin Tryin, you only further everyone else's enjoyment.  And there's always the fact that Joe T.G. might look at a House and go... "you know what, I'm sick of getting my dick bitten by a scrab.  I'm going to try a year with a House and see how that goes."

I think you might find the House life surprisingly immersive.  There are benefits to all playstyles on Arm, there truly are, and that's the beautiful thing... but don't write something off in game because you think you might not like it.

Before I played my 4th one... I was -dead- certain I would never like desert elf culture.

That opinion changed.
-Reiloth

This has tangented greatly, and I'm a cause for that.

Sorry!

Lets get back to talking about bios, bitches!
-Reiloth

No, no. We must assimilate them into composing bios. *steeples fingers* I approve of this tangent.
There is only one boog.

Quote from: Malifaxis on June 23, 2016, 03:24:24 PM
Lets get back to talking about bios, bitches!

Did you say biowizard halflings?

as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

You may be joking about that.  The halfling bio-wizard things.

As Ninja Ninja from AfroSamurai said -

"We have seen some sights today!"

Lets just say they aren't solely reserved to DS Canon.

-Reiloth

I was part of a house for a brief time. I really enjoyed it except for the unfortunate circumstance of nobody ever being around during my playtime. But it was a lot of fun when people were around.

My characters, particularly dwarves, usually have some extreme objective that would pretty much impact the world but I don't have any real means of carrying it out. And since my characters don't usually live that long I have never expected some storyteller to jump in and help me with that.

Who are bios available to? I'd love to share them but I've never known what the boundary line between IC and OOC was supposed to be. Especially with that little sermon posted earlier, I have just always played my cards close to the vest.

Thank you for the reminder.  I frequently get in a catch 22 with my characters.  I don't want to bio until I'm into the character,   but  the more I bio, the more I get into my character... this got me over the first hump.
Quote from: BadSkeelz
Ah well you should just kill those PCs. They're not worth the time of plotting creatively against.

Miradus:  Bios are commonly only available to staff.  There are certain ways that some PCs, both mundane and not, could get access to that information but it is a rare thing.  Don't you worry your pretty little head about it, darlin' ;)

DO NOT share your bios with other players.  That is a massive step over the IC/OOC info line. 

Think of bios as a direct way for you to keep a running record of your character's very important life events (getting hired by a house, getting a mate, having to kill your best friend because he was fucking your mate, then getting fired by the house... either you could consolidate it, or do 4 entries) as well as keep a running tally for Staff to reference if needed.

An example of how this could be useful is if you do a favor for NPC Lord Templar FistHammer one day because some shit happened.  You slap that in a bio.  But the next time NPC Lord Templar FistHammer finds you, you're in massive trouble... you could potentially call in that debt by reminding the NPC (who may and most likely is being played by a different staffer) about that one time.  If needed, give them a nudge to your bio.

There's also a lot of ways bios can come back to bite you in the ass... but that's all part of the fun and wonder of armageddon.  Don't play to win.  The game is best when you realize you're going to lose, and you fucking take that loss head on.
-Reiloth

It certainly would be more interesting to have my character die in some interesting, story-related way rather than to random mob #379 + lag.

How do you add in a bio entry? I remember during character creation writing in a little background, but I have no clue how or where to write anything else in.

Sometimes, I can't help but feel lost when it comes to these things. I tend to write things in after major events have occurred in my char's life, not before. It's hard to know what to write. Plus, this is my first char, which only adds to my uncertainty. I don't do political intrigue, personally, but I do other things. What happens if you're not a very goal-oriented person? Is this like planning things you want to do, or something else?

Quote from: amyandthepup on July 05, 2016, 05:03:42 PM
How do you add in a bio entry? I remember during character creation writing in a little background, but I have no clue how or where to write anything else in.

Quote from: nauta on June 23, 2016, 09:06:56 AM
I tend to do a lot of 'fill-me-in-later' BIOs...

bio add Something Great Just Happened, Click Here To Find Out
~

Then after a month or so, on a day when I can't log in (or when I'm idling waiting for PCs in my sphere) I'll go back in and fill them out.

More often than not, the bulk of my BIOs get filled in after my PC died.  (Another tip: You can still go into your dead PCs on the website and fill in their BIOs.)

You can also add them from the main Armageddon.org site by logging in and clicking the My Account > Biographies menu option.  You'll get a list of your characters and then you can edit or add new bio entries there.  Your first bio will be the background you submitted.

Quote from: amyandthepup on July 05, 2016, 05:03:42 PM
Sometimes, I can't help but feel lost when it comes to these things. I tend to write things in after major events have occurred in my char's life, not before. It's hard to know what to write. Plus, this is my first char, which only adds to my uncertainty. I don't do political intrigue, personally, but I do other things. What happens if you're not a very goal-oriented person? Is this like planning things you want to do, or something else?

This is why the: Bio Add command is neat.  You can tag an event as it happens in game and then come back and note it more fully (or not).  I enjoy doing IC-annual "Dramatis Personae" entries of who's been important to my character at the end of each IC year as another suggestion.
Quote from: BadSkeelz
Ah well you should just kill those PCs. They're not worth the time of plotting creatively against.