Make Armageddon more casual: Increase skill gain

Started by Yam, June 14, 2016, 11:37:04 AM

June 20, 2016, 08:03:21 PM #175 Last Edit: June 20, 2016, 08:11:47 PM by Reiloth
Right, I guess i'm saying 3 skill bumps does not make a significant difference, especially because one 'bump' in a category like weapons skills doesn't push it from Apprentice to Jman, necessarily, nor a bump in non-weapons skills push it from category to category. This is especially true of skills in your main guild that aren't pushed to apprentice if you don't pick a relevant sub guild. So, an assassin who does not pick a sub guild with sneak and hide will start at (novice) sneak and hide, still.

Taking a sneaky type by example, bumping hide doesn't help if you don't bump sneak. So if you bump once in hide, once in sneak...And then I guess once in piercing weapons, you aren't much better off than a 0 day 0 hour Assassin at the end of the day. It's nice, it's swell, but it isn't like it was before. While it was more liberal before (Add your karma + 3) it actually made a significant difference for the casual player. This is more of a middling effect, and not worth the paperwork for me (personally).

I felt the whole point of skill bumps was to allow people who had karma to spend it in a more interesting way. It was expressly designed so that vets who don't have time to grind, can put their karma to good use and bump skills up to let them play the game and not necessarily spend the grind time to get to the point where you can play the game.

Now that karma has nothing to do with it, it's of no real importance to me to spend the time to put in the app, wait for the app to be approved, have to set up a time to have the character get 3 skill bumps, and then go into the game. It's a bit of a buzzkill, for the casual vet. While I appreciate that Staff are working on a guild revamp and solution, it would have been nice to keep the old system in play until those changes were rolled out.
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

I personally don't understand why weapon skills are so vaunted in comparison to other skills.  You can cap any other skill in a reasonable timeframe.  Weapon skills take like, ten times that or more, in effort.  Frankly, it seems retarded.
Where it will go

Quote from: Reiloth on June 20, 2016, 08:03:21 PM

I felt the whole point of skill bumps was to allow people who had karma to spend it in a more interesting way. It was expressly designed so that vets who don't have time to grind, can put their karma to good use and bump skills up to let them play the game and not necessarily spend the grind time to get to the point where you can play the game.

It's not just veterans who are turned off by the infinite cycle of starting out failing 8/10 times at things you're supposed to be decent at (to the exclusion of being able to do anything else at all). I've seen more new players walk away over this than veterans, frankly. So I'm fine with the revamp that was done. It's not like people who get karma, which is awarded sporadically or not at all if you don't know you have to ask for it (thus already a vet or on the road to it), don't already have a shitload of cherry options that make them "just plain better" than others, without adding to it.
Quote from: Maester Aemon Targaryen
What is honor compared to a woman's love? ...Wind and words. Wind and words. We are only human, and the gods have fashioned us for love. That is our great glory, and our great tragedy.

RE: Wisdom Stuff

I will say I have noticed a MARKED difference in this respect. Kudos to Staff for tinkering with that, and further tinkering ahead!
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

Quote from: nauta on June 14, 2016, 11:54:08 AM
There is, I believe, one option on the table: you can special app a skill increase.  However, when I went to the main web-site to pull down a link, I couldn't find too much information on it.

So the help file for Special Applications (http://www.armageddon.org/help/view/Special%20Applications) mentions this:
We are also currently testing out extended subguilds and skill increases using the same process for special applications. See the helpfiles on both of these subjects for details.
But when I went to the Skill Increases link there's no mention of it (http://www.armageddon.org/help/view/Skill%20Increases)

Just by accident I found the appropriate help file:

http://www.armageddon.org/help/view/Skill%20Bumps
as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

My "take more risks" strategy is not working out well. :)

Quote from: Miradus on June 20, 2016, 11:05:12 PM
My "take more risks" strategy is not working out well. :)

Oh, I dunno, reading that post just cracked -me- up and made me wonder what kind of awesome I just missed.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

I didn't read most of the thread. The only input or feedback I have to offer is that no, we aren't looking at changing the skill gain system to make it easier or faster.  What we have indicated in the past, that we will be looking to implement is changes within the guild system that will offer options for those that don't wish to go through the grind. These will eventually replace the skill bump concept entirely.
"It doesn't matter what country someone's from, or what they look like, or the color of their skin. It doesn't matter what they smell like, or that they spell words slightly differently, some would say more correctly." - Jemaine Clement. FOTC.