is it (codedly) possible to subdue/capture an animal?

Started by 650Booger, May 07, 2016, 01:35:58 PM

put it in a cage for transport?  stuff you might find in the wild?
"Historical analogy is the last refuge of people who can't grasp the current situation."
-Kim Stanley Robinson

It is.  Check out 'help cage'.  Of course, you have to get a cage in the game, and these, like wagons, are surprisingly hard to come by.
as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

Don't subdue anything inside the cities or the guards will take you to jail. Good luck explaining that to a templar.

It's very possible if you contact the proper authorities IC and OOC.

The more people you involve the better, really.

Yep 100% possible. For some reason subduing a rat etc inside a city will cause you to be crime flagged but attacking them is fine. Mounts are tamed simply by mounting a wild mountable animal and it may or may not work.

Quote from: Inks on May 08, 2016, 10:39:12 PM
Yep 100% possible. For some reason subduing a rat etc inside a city will cause you to be crime flagged but attacking them is fine. Mounts are tamed simply by mounting a wild mountable animal and it may or may not work.

Where is this mentioned in the help files? I've seen it done in game, but was unsure how it worked and what it was based on. It'd be awesome if this was mentioned or linked to the Mount or Ride files.
He is an individual cool cat. A cat who has taken more than nine lives.

I think there is mention of taming beasts in the ranger helpfile. You type mount "animal" then you make an attempt. You can fail this attempt, be warned. And I have no idea why it isn't listed anywhere else. Also you can subdue an unconscious animal with no repercussions. With cages only certain folks/clans have access to them, much like wagons, little point having them in too much detail on there.

It really isn't one of those "Find out IC" things so yeah, no idea. And the taming is related to a high ride skill, in case I didn't make that clear.

Be warned, animals which you fail your ride attempt on will become irate and dangerous.

You can also only tame/mount animals that you can mount/tame.
Meaning no raptors.
;.;

May 09, 2016, 03:35:13 PM #9 Last Edit: May 09, 2016, 03:36:47 PM by Desertman
Random but semi-related shame for you to learn from my mistakes.  :D

Make sure you LOOK at what you are trying to capture.

I once captured a creature in game that I THOUGHT was a little weasel type creature. For RL YEARS I'd hunted these seemingly harmless little guys and they were always so easy to kill. They were fluffy and furry and mostly harmless.

For SO LONG I'd assumed they were like little land otters or something.

I knock one out and drag it back to an apartment for a friend of mine in-game to have as a little pet.

It wasn't until a while later when staff made the thing tear a room apart in the apartment that I realized....this thing is easily the size of a mountain lion and has teeth and claws and stuff...

I had never bothered to really LOOK at one before.

Quote from: James de Monet on April 09, 2015, 01:54:57 AM
My phone now autocorrects "damn" to Dman.
Quote from: deathkamon on November 14, 2015, 12:29:56 AM
The young daughter has been filled.

Quote from: Desertman on May 09, 2016, 03:35:13 PM
Random but semi-related shame for you to learn from my mistakes.  :D

Make sure you LOOK at what you are trying to capture.

I once captured a creature in game that I THOUGHT was a little weasel type creature. For RL YEARS I'd hunted these seemingly harmless little guys and they were always so easy to kill. They were fluffy and furry and mostly harmless.

For SO LONG I'd assumed they were like little land otters or something.

I knock one out and drag it back to an apartment for a friend of mine in-game to have as a little pet.

It wasn't until a while later when staff made the thing tear a room apart in the apartment that I realized....this thing is easily the size of a mountain lion and has teeth and claws and stuff...

I had never bothered to really LOOK at one before.

You had a mountain lion though.
So.
You know.
You're cool

Quote from: Desertman on May 09, 2016, 03:35:13 PM

Seems like a pretty great practical joke to me.

Quote from: gotdamnmiracle on May 09, 2016, 12:59:48 AM

Where is this mentioned in the help files? I've seen it done in game, but was unsure how it worked and what it was based on. It'd be awesome if this was mentioned or linked to the Mount or Ride files.

If you mean taming an animal, it is mentioned in the Mount help file.

Quote from: manipura on May 09, 2016, 10:08:10 PM
Quote from: gotdamnmiracle on May 09, 2016, 12:59:48 AM

If you mean taming an animal, it is mentioned in the Mount help file.

Oh! Still, it's good to have more information than a single sentence.