Effect of disfigurements on gameplay

Started by tomgal, April 29, 2016, 05:16:09 PM

Hi guys, quick question.

In the "change locdescs" room there's a guy that sells disfigurements. One of those is "empty eye sockets". Do these affect your ability to see? Sounds stupid, I know, but maybe it not implemented or something. If not, nice way to roleplay a "blind ninja sees through chi" kind of guy.

Thanks

I know you can ask staff to give you 'no arm code' and a few other things but as for the guy who sells things, I don't /think/ so?

They do not have any coded effects.

Any disability they may imply is up to you to roleplay.

Yes, it is permissible to play a completely blind character who relies on their other senses. But you would be expected to seriously and consistently roleplay this disability. It would probably be frowned on if you roleplayed your character having an extraordinary, Daredevil-like ability that effectually cancelled their disability. Such a character probably would need a special application.

I wouldnt reccomend this. If you use look as this pc you are doing it wrong. Dont even start with ranged weapons. How would you justify using torches in the dark?

Spec app if it is some psionic sight.

It would be great if blind people don't get lost in the dark, they can just go the right way.

But you know.
HAve them unable to see shit.

I would suggest talking to staff about this in special app. There is for example certain instances within the game that would allow you to see the room and where to go, but not objects/people in it. That type of sight is not affected by darkness. So it is theoretically possible. But would probably require a lot of coding and scripting. They just as soon tell you to rp it out.

If you start Daredeviling depending on where are the world will react strongly. Perhaps a pc with near blindness? Karma bait.

In my experience, I have never seen someone roleplay a blind person accurately. I am blind in RL, so my standards are very high for this type of RP, to the point that I've just never seen it done believably. The type of adventure, combat-oriented game just does not lend itself well at all to roleplaying such things at all.

I personally don't like roleplaying disabilities--deafness, blindness, paraplegia--on these games. It just creates way too many restrictions in the coded things the character is able do.

The only one I can see maaaybe working is being mute. But there again, you would have a lot of problems if you need to use your voice to speak to anyone to gain any information IC. It creates its own set of problems.

As someone who lives with disability, who has known quite a few others who are, the whole thing just puts a bad taste in my mouth.

I'm sorry to be so negative :(

The thing I do love is that you can add things like a missing eye, missing fingers, scars anywhere and everywhere on your character. Those things are very cool. They aren't outright disabling your character completely, just making certain aspects of daily life potentially more difficult--only one eye to see out of, one working arm, etc, so partial disability in some cases, or having to think of work-arounds, adaptations.

A blind stoneworker or some other craftsman who exists in a city-scape I can understand. Particularly if clanned.

A blind hermit wandering the desert and only defending himself if attacked I can also understand, to an extent. But the instant you pick a bimbal leaf or butcher a gortok then you're calling the entire premise into question. You're going to be subjecting yourself to a lot more roleplay scrutiny than you would otherwise. I can't see it ending well unless you REALLY have a good backstory.

I would debate blind people being able to skin things if they've worked it, say, while at home or in a tribe. Learn the feel of the animal so to speak.
I'd also say combat as a blind person would work if you used a shield or a longer weapon, though not well I'd imagine.

I'd also say it's better to not run around the desert while blind. Though I'd debate you get lost less than others after a certain point. Or you'll just die.

Quote from: Jihelu on June 17, 2016, 03:41:27 PM
Or you'll just die.

This.  Is the 99.9% outcome.
Quote from: BadSkeelz
Ah well you should just kill those PCs. They're not worth the time of plotting creatively against.

You either live long enough to become a Japanese legend or die five minutes in because you properly roleplayed running into a bahamet.

There's also the issue of...how do you rp monsters coming into your area. I guess you could say you heard the larger ones but spiders and raptors....you'll have to tank them out bby

Quote from: whitt on June 17, 2016, 03:51:05 PM
Quote from: Jihelu on June 17, 2016, 03:41:27 PM
Or you'll just die.

This.  Is the 99.9% outcome.

Thus far for all of my characters despite not being blind.

Definitely amused by these responses, and nodding at a lot of them. Blind crafter, absolutely. Even a blind weaponsmith might work, since I don't think metal is used much in creating weapons. Same for armor, maybe. But other, more mundain crafting would work as well. Music, storytelling, beggar, though that one makes me cringe in large part because of how blind people in other countries are still treated, at least in some parts of the world.

There are possibilities for several different disfigurements, you would just have to put a lot of thought into it, and not just assume that magic or psionic powers make you impervious to damage or consequence of said disfigurement. That's what I've experienced in various game settings: people who did things no blind person in real-life would actually do, then go out and handle a combat situation.

Now, I will say one thing. It is possible, with a lot of training, for a blind person to learn certain combat instincts. I know someone who, well let's just say I would not want to tangle with in a back alley. Most people wouldn't believe me if I told them just how quick he is to respond and understand what his opponent is doing. But people like him are very few and far between.

And I am digressing from the purpose of this particular topic quite badly.

What could be interesting is having a coded sign language of sorts, or tablets that people could draw upon if they couldn't speak, since for so many writing is treasonous. Or actual peglegs, fake arms. ot sure what else. A litter carrying someone who can't walk, but who sits, yelling out orders or threats or who knows what reason.

Sign language is dumb in this setting, really. Cause psionics exist.
I'd argue a branched psionicist could 'see' using psionics after a certain point as well as a bit of the same but dumbed down for Whirans with their whole wind thing.
Heres how I would rate seeing shit.

Someone with eyes+psionics and a few other things have the best vision evur
Someone thats very in tune with magickal wind or other magick shit here with normal vision
Someone with normal eyes right here
A blind guy with max psionics.
A blind guy thats a whiran
A blind guy. You're blind. You cant feel around with winds and shit you feel around by flailing your arms out or using a cane. Rip

I used to work at the non-profit manufacturing place for the blind in Oklahoma City.

I was absolutely amazed by the experience. A blind person in their own environment seemed to have almost no handicap at all. They knew where their tools were, how the work was to be performed, and often when I'd walk through the factory I couldn't tell the difference from those who were completely blind and those who had some level of sight left to them. They navigated from the factory floor to the break room or bathrooms without any difficulty and just carried on.

You'd get a reminder that you were in a building with blind people when someone new would show up, particularly if they had just recently lost their sight. There were sighted helpers who would show them where everything was and how to get there until they'd learned the way.

The brain seems to compensate for the lack of sight by enormously increasing the capability of spatial awareness and memory. Blind people seem to gravitate towards text muds and I've played with others for many a year. Once they learn their way around then it's no real issue. In fact, one of my friends can navigate a mud we play together better without sight than I can with my client mapper. I constantly have to refer to my maps to figure out where I am and he just *knows* at all times. It's irritating. :)

The joys of memorizing where you are at -all- times, in Rl and in virtual environments!

I'm intrigued because you are spot on about so much of what you said. I wanted to acknowledge your post without adding to the obvious rabbit trail we've created :D

Hats off to you, and all that, Miradus.

So some time has passed since you started playing. How you getting along?

I'm willing to bet that I've lost more character since this thread started than you have. :)