Asking for advice!

Started by Anonymous, October 08, 2003, 09:35:00 PM

I'm a new player, and after having made a character to use to get a feel for the game, I'm planning for my next and hoping she'll have a bit more staying power. After reading these forums and the help files, it seems like for those of us not too interested in lots of combat, a good way to meet people and get involved in the workings of the game is seeking employment with noble or merchant houses. I've read up on how to apply and get in contact with people in game, and am looking for a few more details.

So my question is, what kinds of skills are valued or needed for that kind of employment. I've picked out personality and background for my character, and now just sort of need some guideance on what guild and subclasses to pick. I have no idea really, what skills would be considered useful by those groups, and make this new character desired or employable. So if any of you seasoned players can offer suggestions, I'd most appreciate it!

Hmm, I find that for the political roles it doesn't matter very much. What counts is the stuff that's not coded. Like knowing when to shut up. Knowing how to pay attention. There are those who will say that you have to have listen as a tavern sitter. I don't even agree with that. Play whatever skill set fits best with your background and your pc's personality.

I have played both aide types and their employers. I don't know if that makes me any more credible.
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

Honestly, most political/advisor/servant roles don't take much in the way of coded skills.  Unless you are looking to do a craft, you are free to be creative.  Now, if you want to be a noble house cook or something like that, then you probably should pick the merchant class.  The merchant class is a catch all for most social and crafting skills, plus you get a pile of extra 'sid when you start.  Out side of that, pick pockets and assassins both have some skills that don't hurt on the social side.  You probably will not get much use for that backstab of yours, but you might find some of the other skills useful.

If you are still a little shakey on exactly what it takes to be in a noble house you might want to start in Allanak and join the Atrium.  Without going too IC, it is a school designed to teach people how to hold such roles.  Just ask around, you should have a hard time finding it.  There you can learn both the IC aspects, as well as any OOC aspects (like emoting) that you still might be shakey on.

Well...ideally these Houses have a need for all sorts of things: cooks, nursemaids, water-bearers, stablehands, artisans, seamstresses, hairdressers, herbalists, cabana boys...oops getting a little carried away.

But in practice, most non-combative servants are there for one or more of several narrower reasons (using the term "noble", but also can apply to templars and some merchant house family members):

A) To act as representative, intermediary, and messenger for the noble. Interact with other servants to set up meetings, approach people the noble wants to speak with, be approached by people who want to speak with the noble. Carry letters & packages, do a lot of Waying.
B) To keep the noble up to date on happenings they may be too busy for. Know who's who, what's going on, make a lot of contacts.
C) To spy on other people for the noble, often while appearing to do B).
D) To amuse/entertain the noble. In some cases this includes sex, but I've never known that to be required.
E) To amuse/entertain other people at the noble's behest for purposes of B), C), and occasionally F).
F) To be the noble's secret silk-clad assassin.
Quote from: tapas on December 04, 2017, 01:47:50 AM
I think we might need to change World Discussion to Armchair Zalanthan Anthropology.

Hmm... anything?

The beauty of a noncombat role is that you can do any number of things that don't require a single skill, or require a skill that's independant of class and race.  You could be a bard, an aide, or a beggar and 90% of your skills wouldn't matter in the slightest.

But since you brought up the subject of guilds, you're probably like me.  You like having skills to use.  You like getting better at them, not just for the sake of twinkish advancement, because deep down in your heart, you don't want to be the guy playing the bumbling recruit.  You want to be grim, bad-ass and word-weary.  Welcome to the desperate scrabble for power.

HERE IS AN OVERVIEW OF THE LESS COMBAT-ORIENTED CLASSES

ASSASSIN = NINJA
BURGLAR = THIEF
PICKPOCKET = IDIOT
MERCHANT = CRAFTER

And now for an overview that you might actually consider useful, though in truth the first is definitely more useful.  I've ordered the classes from least to most combat-oriented, and excluded ranger and warrior because it takes a lot of familiarity with the game to play those in a role that disregards their obvious martial.

Assassin
Some people might consider this to be a combat role, but assassins are a lot wussier than they are made out to be.  If you're playing an assassin how they're really meant to be played, then with a lot of patience you will one day be able to kill people without ever getting in a scrape with them.  They can also gather information, but not nearly as well as a...

Burglar
This is an ultimate snoop.  You can hear what people don't want you to hear, see what people don't want you to see, and go where people don't want you to go.

Note on joining a clan with an assassin or burglar:  It's easy, really.  First make a list of all the potential clans you think you might be interested in.  Then approach somebody with recruiting power and ask for a position in public.  Once they take you to a private place, explain what you really want to do.  I've always figured if they're too wussy to hire a spy or hitman in the first place, then they're too wussy to do away with a spy or hitman hopeful.  So you'll probably be safe, even if you get turned down.

Pickpocket
Probably not the best choice if you want to join a clan, but it is possible to stick with the various skills that aren't oriented in theft and never steal a single thing in your career.  They probably don't have as much potential to get a job as the others though.

Merchant
I've never played a freaking merchant.  Can't help you.  I think they craft... or something.
Back from a long retirement

Thanks! This has all been very helpful. Though that by no means implies you should stop posting if you think of more helpful stuff!

I have limited experience, but fairly good success with being a non-combat employee of noble houses and the templarate.

My first character was a burglar class, and I have no idea what sub-class. I forgot the same day I got the character approved and never bothered to ask anyone to check for me.

She was hired first by a templar whose player quit two weeks later. Then she was picked up by a noble house to replace an aide they lost. She stayed with that noble house until her demise, after 25+ days of play time. From what I understand, that's pretty good for a first armageddon character, though I know there are a few with play-time well over 50, and a couple even over 100 days.

I can't tell you how excellent it was to pick a burglar for the primary guild, and be an aide, who really didn't do any burglaring to speak of. Her limited combat skills were never worked on to any amount worth mentioning. But she was valued and kept busy because of her other skills, mostly social and RP, though a few of the coded skills came in handy.

I would recommend, if you do decide to go the burglar route, that you try one of the crafting sub-classes. This will give your character a hobby, and could at some point even become a primary focus for your character if you get support from your employer by way of equipment, tools, and raw materials.

Welcome to Arm, and I wish you all the best!

To play a non-combative successfully you need to focus on character development and character history and not the class.

You can play any class you want - just fit it into your background.  Warriors fit in very well for a non-combative.  It sounds odd but it's true - you can make your background that of being a child of House guards (thus giving your character an edge for a targeted house - you have an inborn loyalty) and you can, in time learn to fight if you want.

Merchants are awesome for non-combatives.  They start with a few select skills that are extremely useful - pilot, listen, and scan.  Noble houses tend not to need crafting skills but the other skills are useful.

Personally, if I were to design a character for a noble House  - I'd go assassin, warrior, or pick pocket.  The variety of skills compliment a variety of backgrounds.  The idea is to make your character as rich and dynamic as possible.  Given yourself tie-ins to the House you want to join helps but don't go overboard.  You can also contact the House immortal and ask them what they think the House needs - they will either tell you right out (if they know) or pass the request on to the PC nobles.

In the end it becomes all about the character personality and very little to do with class or skills.  Being younger helps if you don't know anything about the Houses - it explains your lack of knowledge very well.  A lot of Houses will teach you as you go along and make sure you know what you need to know as you go through the ranks.

The other thing I would do is seek out a House where the PC leaders are active while you are.  Do not join a House that does not have a PC leader (noble or merchant) and do not join if you are uncertain if their times coincide with yours.

If I'm going to be in a noble house I like to have listen. It can get very quiet standing guard or sitting at another table from your gossipy noble and having no clue what's going on. :)

I agree.  I would dare say that listen is perhaps -the- most useful skill for a political/social character.  Also the burglar is a really nice guild IMO.  You have a few combat skills if you want to learn to fight, you can be stealthy if you want to spy, and perhaps in time you could even make a decent assassin.