Skill Bump Applications Change Discussion

Started by RogueGunslinger, March 19, 2016, 12:17:11 PM

QuoteGreetings,

We are modifying the way that skill bumps can be applied for.

Skill bumps are now limited to a total of 3 bumps that can be applied for via special application.  Weapon skills are still limited to a total of 2 bumps.

Karma no longer has any bearing in the skill bump process.

This process will remain in place until the guild revamp is completed. The guild revamp will allow us to provide an alternate option for skill levels.

:( As someone who was rocking 6 skill-bumps before without anyone complaining this makes me sad. I'll definitely be sticking to extended subguilds instead. Unless of course we can get an extended sub-guild along with our skill-bumps.

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on March 19, 2016, 12:17:11 PM
QuoteGreetings,

We are modifying the way that skill bumps can be applied for.

Skill bumps are now limited to a total of 3 bumps that can be applied for via special application.  Weapon skills are still limited to a total of 2 bumps.

Karma no longer has any bearing in the skill bump process.

This process will remain in place until the guild revamp is completed. The guild revamp will allow us to provide an alternate option for skill levels.

:( As someone who was rocking 6 skill-bumps before without anyone complaining this makes me sad. I'll definitely be sticking to extended subguilds instead. Unless of course we can get an extended sub-guild along with our skill-bumps.

Maybe wait and see what the new system is since they specifically said the new system will provide an alternate option.
It is said that things coming in through the gate can never be your own treasures. What is gained from external circumstances will perish in the end.
- the Mumonkan

We have no idea when the new system is going in, considering ext-subs took years to go in I'm not going to hold my breath. I'm going to discuss the current system that just went in.

A long time ago I had an idea about guild templates instead of skill bumps.

Where we would ask ourselves what does a capable warrior/ranger/assassin look like skill wise? What about a veteran warrior/ranger/assassin?

I'm curious to see what alternative the staff comes up with though.

Aww.  I never got the chance to see if dumping all my CGP into warrior skill bumps would let my runner beat up Sarge on the first day.  :D

Oh well.  Wouldn't be my first Armageddon regret.  Curious about the new system.  Sounds like they're making "experienced" versions of main guilds.  That makes more sense, rather than leaving it up to players to know/guess which skill bumps make for more effective PCs.

For some reason I thought the limit was already three.  Not that I've ever done a skill bump before (clearly).  Every now and then I'm tempted, but I never really know what would be good to use it on, so I just... don't.
Former player as of 2/27/23, sending love.

The only time I recall using a skill bumped PC was playing an old pickpocket who had more or less retired from that line of work in lieu of con artistry (but ended up on a very different path all together.)

I thought it was great to be able to play an older, experienced character without ever having to grind the skills to get there.

This change saddens me, but I hope the new guild system will make that a possibility again.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Booooo, hisssss

I loved having 11 skill bumps even though I've only done that skill bump thing once!

I HAD BIG PLANS THOUGH
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

I've found that two bumps into weapons and one in to flee is really enough for any of my special applications. Everything else levels quickly enough as is

Skill bumps were nice, yet often ended up with some unrealistic stuff IC.  I think another system would be nicer, one that allowed you to spend karma on creating a PC with different levels of experience. Something like this:

1. Beginner.  Would start a the current base levels. No karma. A young (ish) PC just starting out on her/his own, or an older PC shifting careers.
2. Experienced.  All principal skills bumped one.  This would cost karma (how much?). Would HAVE to be a PC starting at least at 30 human years or equivalent for other races.
3. Veteran. All principal skills bumped 2. This would cost karma (At least 3). Would HAVE to be a PC starting in late 30s human years or equivalent for other races.

Nothing would get bumped to more than journeyman.

At your table, the XXXXXXXX templar says in sirihish, echoing:
     "Everyone is SAFE in His Walls."

March 19, 2016, 03:11:53 PM #10 Last Edit: March 19, 2016, 03:15:44 PM by Jingo
This makes me sad.

What was the problem with this? Were too many people cashing in all their karma?
Now you're looking for the secret. But you won't find it because of course, you're not really looking. You don't really want to work it out. You want to be fooled.

Quote from: Jingo on March 19, 2016, 03:11:53 PM
This makes me sad.

What was the problem with this? Were too many people cashing in all their karma?

That is a very good question (the first one).  Perhaps staff will give a response.

Quote from: Norcal on March 19, 2016, 03:09:44 PM
Skill bumps were nice, yet often ended up with some unrealistic stuff IC.  I think another system would be nicer, one that allowed you to spend karma on creating a PC with different levels of experience. Something like this:

1. Beginner.  Would start a the current base levels. No karma. A young (ish) PC just starting out on her/his own, or an older PC shifting careers.
2. Experienced.  All principal skills bumped one.  This would cost karma (how much?). Would HAVE to be a PC starting at least at 30 human years or equivalent for other races.
3. Veteran. All principal skills bumped 2. This would cost karma (At least 3). Would HAVE to be a PC starting in late 30s human years or equivalent for other races.

Nothing would get bumped to more than journeyman.

That I dig.
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

I played a couple of mundane sponsored roles that came with skill bumps and I was allowed to pick three, so I just assumed that was the limit already. It never would've occurred to me to ask for more than three.

I guess for me, this is one of those "huh" things.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Skill bumps should never have been tied to karma. Giving high karma players significant perks beyond access to gated, difficult roles is beyond the purpose of the system. Glad to see it gone.

If the low level skill grind is a problem, the solution should not be tied to karma.

Quote from: hyzhenhok on March 19, 2016, 04:11:46 PM
Skill bumps should never have been tied to karma. Giving high karma players significant perks beyond access to gated, difficult roles is beyond the purpose of the system. Glad to see it gone.

If the low level skill grind is a problem, the solution should not be tied to karma.

What is the other option?  Currently with the new change they are not tied to karma, yet require a special app. If they are ever to move into the normal char gen process, they need to be CGP based. CGP= karma.

And players with greater karma would have to choose how to spend their CGP. You could not have a karma race, guild, ext subguild and skill bumps.  As I understand it now, you cannot have a karma guild and an ext subguild.  So perhaps players using normal char gen could be limited to a choice of two out of the four possible uses for CGP: Race, Guild, Ext subguild or Bumps.

This is just part of the groundwork for some big stuff that is in the pipe.  The introduction of extended subguilds as something you can select from character generation caused us to reassess the system and we pretty much ended up with what Hyzhenhok just said.