Let's Plot (split from RAT)

Started by Miradus, February 22, 2016, 03:27:24 PM

Right, but it doesn't have to be some Cluedo-style plot. Bringing Allanak back to life isn't accomplished by getting five people to investigate a murder or something to that effect. What happened to arena games and things of that nature? Right now, I don't know if you could get anywhere with a "script plot" because there's hardly anyone around to even get involved. People stay in their clanhalls and apartments because going out in the city has, for such a long time, resulted in absolutely nothing of any sort of interest. That's what needs to change, that's what gets the ball rolling. Then someone can murder Lord Fancypants in the Arboretum with a candlestick, and there might not even need to be a prepared plotline behind it. It might just happen. It used to.

Alright I'm going to chime in here..  When I see these posts about "bringing Allanak back to life" it really makes me  ::) - I have to be honest here.  I'm the Southlands Admin, which means that I'm in charge of the Southlands clans - essentially the noble houses, the AoD/gemmed, and the Atrium.  (The Byn and Guild are other clan teams' responsibilities, as are people who aren't in a clan)  It wouldn't be accurate to say that I'm in charge of Allanak as all the staff teams have a say in what goes on there, particularly since we're just working on one city-state these days, but suffice to say that I'm in a position to give a fairly informed opinion on what is going on.

While I can't reveal details, obviously, I can say with 100% certainty that there's all kinds of plots rolling in Allanak - right now, involving a variety of different groups.  Nobles, clanned people, unclanned people, you name it.  Could there be more?  Of course!  And if you feel like there's a lack of things to do, then why not be the change?  Get some folks together and start something up.  If you need support from staff we're receptive to this sort of thing.  Alternatively you can wait for a plot to find its way to you, whether it's run by other players or a staff initiative - but in the end you have less control over when or if that will happen, naturally.

I will say that it seems there's been a dip in the "tavern sitting" scene recently.  Is that a bad thing?  I know some people really love to sit around in the Gaj and shoot the breeze, and other people find it boring.

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, I think there is an opportunity to have some healthy discussion about what kind of plots you guys enjoy and how to facilitate them, from both the player and staff angle.

It's probably easier for you to see since, you know, you can see literally all of it with omniscience.

It has been a few weeks since I saw a templar. I haven't witnessed any animations in months. The taverns are always empty. I don't meet anyone in the city. I don't even see a way to get into any of these plots you're talking about. There's no way in from my direction. I don't meet people, because they don't go out, because nothing happens. It's an absolute snoozefest to play in Allanak, the game's only city, which is kind of awkward. I don't understand what I'm supposed to do. I can barely even find people to interact with.

February 23, 2016, 03:30:41 AM #28 Last Edit: February 23, 2016, 03:34:01 AM by wizturbo
Allanak isn't dead by any means.  The Tablelands event has just drawn off a lot of the independents that typically hang out in the taverns without anything to do.  All of the clans in Allanak are pretty active lately, with some of them actually at their recruiting caps.

I will admit that the rather empty taverns does make it hard for new characters or new players to engage in all of these plots.  Rumor boards can really help with this though, if you're a new character who needs a job, post on the rumor boards that you're seeking work...I bet you'll get multiple responses within a day.  I agree that isn't an ideal scenario though.  Did you manage to make it to the Ocotillo festival?  There were TONS of animations, Templars, nobles, and every other sort of person there.

Quote from: Coat of Arms on February 23, 2016, 03:25:28 AM
It's probably easier for you to see since, you know, you can see literally all of it with omniscience.

It has been a few weeks since I saw a templar. I haven't witnessed any animations in months. The taverns are always empty. I don't meet anyone in the city. I don't even see a way to get into any of these plots you're talking about. There's no way in from my direction. I don't meet people, because they don't go out, because nothing happens. It's an absolute snoozefest to play in Allanak, the game's only city, which is kind of awkward. I don't understand what I'm supposed to do. I can barely even find people to interact with.

You're posting at like...0030-0330 on a Tuesday morning in the U.S. and wondering why people aren't online?

Well...it's because most players are in the United States, and most people in the United States are asleep.

Welcome to off-peak hell.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Quote from: Synthesis on February 23, 2016, 03:32:56 AMWelcome to off-peak hell.
There are 21 people online! This aint off peak hell!

I have seen both templars, aides, Salarri and byn sergeants online at this time. It's a really good time to be an off peaker and I'm seriously tempted to make a clanned character with my next one.

The taverns are dead though. And this historically has been a barometer for how active a given area is. People are just avoiding taverns. If you're bored, find an excuse to join a clan and start cold-contacting people over the Way.

Quote from: Synthesis on February 23, 2016, 03:32:56 AM
You're posting at like...0030-0330 on a Tuesday morning in the U.S. and wondering why people aren't online?

Well...it's because most players are in the United States, and most people in the United States are asleep.

Which part of my post implies that I'm talking about this very moment exclusively? In fact, I expressly didn't. I'm not even online now, because they're not my playing hours. I'm talking about the entire time that I've had by current Allanaki commoner character, in which I have seen absolutely nothing whatsoever that I could get involved with, nothing that looks like it even has anything to get involved with, and can rarely find anybody to interact with even during peak hours. I specifically talk about peak hours, and a period of weeks. I don't know how that led you to the impression that I'm talking about off-peak hours and only just now. It's like you tried your hardest to misinterpret my point for the sake of being contrary and condescending.

February 23, 2016, 03:51:59 AM #32 Last Edit: February 23, 2016, 03:56:56 AM by Synthesis
Quote from: Coat of Arms on February 23, 2016, 03:50:12 AM
Quote from: Synthesis on February 23, 2016, 03:32:56 AM

Which part of my post implies that I'm talking about this very moment exclusively? In fact, I expressly didn't. I'm not even online now, because they're not my playing hours. I'm talking about the entire time that I've had by current Allanaki commoner character, in which I have seen absolutely nothing whatsoever that I could get involved with, nothing that looks like it even has anything to get involved with, and can rarely find anybody to interact with even during peak hours. I specifically talk about peak hours, and a period of weeks. I don't know how that led you to the impression that I'm talking about off-peak hours and only just now. It's like you tried your hardest to misinterpret my point for the sake of being contrary and condescending.

It's like you tried your hardest to misinterpret my point for the sake of being butt-hurt.

By which I mean to say I was being sympathetic to someone else with a similar plight, not being condescending.  Until you decided to be a little whiner about it.  Now I'm being condescending.

Quote from: John on February 23, 2016, 03:49:41 AM
Quote from: Synthesis on February 23, 2016, 03:32:56 AMWelcome to off-peak hell.
There are 21 people online! This aint off peak hell!

I have seen both templars, aides, Salarri and byn sergeants online at this time. It's a really good time to be an off peaker and I'm seriously tempted to make a clanned character with my next one.

The taverns are dead though. And this historically has been a barometer for how active a given area is. People are just avoiding taverns. If you're bored, find an excuse to join a clan and start cold-contacting people over the Way.

Of the 21 people online, half just haven't got the memo that peak time is over, and they should quit already.

I personally hate hanging out in taverns these days, because it's become so much easier for thieves to do their business that I'm habitually paranoid about my inventory when I'm not locked in my apartment or out in the desert somewhere.  Not that my meager loot is irreplaceable or anything, but replacing it is kind of fucking annoying.

February 23, 2016, 04:02:39 AM #34 Last Edit: February 23, 2016, 04:05:26 AM by BadSkeelz
Giving Coat of Arms the benefit of the doubt, sometimes things just get in to a sort of rhythm that can make breaking in to the established city life difficult. Like all the clans are full, sponsored roles are busy with their minions, currently-running plots don't allow for a lot of downtime or recruitment. That sort of thing. I had a PC that people thought had stored for months or years, simply because I was so busy with the inner-compound clan life that I didn't have a lot of time to be on the streets.

My advice is to keep trying, and try aggressively. Think what kind of employment you would like for your character, find some names in the rumor posts (or maybe ask staff for a bit of help in a character report, if you're finding yourself completely lost) and start aggressively Waying people. Get your name out there. Let sponsored roles know you are a warm body who can string a sentence together and have some interest in the role. That's like, 3 out of 5 excellent minion qualities right there.

Maybe also manufacture some interactions. If you commit a crime and get arrested at peak time, you'll probably run into a Templar or Arm soldier.

It's a pity if the Gaj is empty. When I play outdoorsy or Byn, I tried to discipline myself to get to a bar at night time.
Of course, the bars in Allanak are so far from folks that don't live above the Gaj..... Unlike Tuluk!!

Quote from: Coat of Arms on February 23, 2016, 03:25:28 AM

The dynamic in Allanak has changed a lot in the last several weeks and in my opinion, you need to join a clan or get into the independent circles if you want to see some action. The clans are now getting populated enough to be insular and it's around there that political alliances and related things start to come into effect; These people no longer need to sit in the Gaj for interaction when they can hang out with clannies / allied clannies and work towards their own ends in a more consistent manner.

The independent circle is always a state of flux and if you're going to be one, you're going to have to get used to there being (sometimes long) periods where you're bumming around without a lot to do. It can be literal months on end where there is nothing going on, but then you hit a string of action that lasts the better part of a year.

Joining a clan is the easy route to having people to hang out with and things to do. If you're an independent, it depends wholly on your personal savvy and being at the right place at the right time.

Whatever route you choose, there is plenty going on.

Purely as a stepping stone, I'd suggest looking at the T'zai Byn or Kurac to get involved at a ground level and get your PCs name and face recognized. Being noticed as someone who can keep a PC alive (especially in the T'zai Byn) for a basic game year will make you much more appealing to people looking for meat to fuel their plot machine.
Someone says, out of character:
     "Sorry, was a wolf outside, had to warn someone."

Quote from: Wastrel on July 05, 2013, 04:51:17 AMBUT NEERRRR IM A STEALTHY ASSASSIN HEMOTING. BUTBUTBUTBUTBUT. Shut. Up.

UGH WHY CANT I SLEEP! Was it the grilled cheese sandwich I ate at two am? It was, wasn't it. Anyway, Coat of Arms, I hear you about the empty taverns thing and I'm sorry you're having a tough time. I will try harder to get out there and mingle more, myself.

That said, this thread has a specific purpose, and we're straying from it. Can we stay on topic please, and follow the guidelines posted on page one regarding attitude and content? Let's generate some plot ideas.
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

I've always wanted a big dumb race to happen. Like, from 'Nak to the northern edge of the Known and back. Get a bunch of clans and indies in on it, tell them there won't be any refs and murders fine outside the walls, and let 'er rip. Make sure there's a big prize too.
Part-Time Internets Lady

a race

would actually be an amazing idea.

i would love to see that.
Quote from: Adhira on January 01, 2014, 07:15:46 PM
I could give a shit about wholesome.

3am game time, if that's when you play, it's a weird time of night.

I had a pretty active crew of d-elves I ran with once who played at all odd hours of the night, there were only 4-5 of us, but it made the world really come alive.  At that time of night in particular, you're going to have to get into one of those groups to have much interaction.  Not sure what time zone you're in, Coat of Arms, but it's tough.  Being an American I've never had to deal with off-peak but people who do it always struggle a bit more, seems like.

As for Allanak we've got 3 active templars and a pretty full stable of nobles, as well as Atrium clan leaders.  There are clans out there that are doing stuff (and the Byn, and the Guild) - as someone mentioned it's one way to try to get involved, assuming you can find someone to link up with.

Jesus, forget it. Apparently because I posted at 3AM, I must be talking only about that specific timestamp whenever I say anything about the game, no matter how many times I point out that I'm not. I'm sure Allanak is explosively active and filled to the point of bursting with all sorts of accessible and visible plots, I'm just not good enough at the game or something. Carry on.

February 23, 2016, 02:46:06 PM #42 Last Edit: February 23, 2016, 02:51:48 PM by JackGibbons
Quote from: seidhr on February 23, 2016, 02:18:50 PM
3am game time, if that's when you play, it's a weird time of night.

I had a pretty active crew of d-elves I ran with once who played at all odd hours of the night, there were only 4-5 of us, but it made the world really come alive.  At that time of night in particular, you're going to have to get into one of those groups to have much interaction.  Not sure what time zone you're in, Coat of Arms, but it's tough.  Being an American I've never had to deal with off-peak but people who do it always struggle a bit more, seems like.

As for Allanak we've got 3 active templars and a pretty full stable of nobles, as well as Atrium clan leaders.  There are clans out there that are doing stuff (and the Byn, and the Guild) - as someone mentioned it's one way to try to get involved, assuming you can find someone to link up with.

I think the finding can be part of the problem when you're just getting started. I haven't seen most of the nobles or Atrium people since the Festival (which was awesome). I think the Atrium is a RP hub but only for those clanned to get into it. One option to break into this would be to go sit in the Arboretum which sometimes gets that activity (especially targeting leave days), but that's not always wise for certain backgrounds and types, and the Atrium folks don't go to the Gaj.

I don't mean this to be in any way a criticism of the people who are in that set, just that I too can be mystified about the 3 main taverns in Nak being empty while there are 40+ people online, and I chalk it up to possibly the Atrium that can't be checked or the Tablelands events. I hope we see more events like the Festival (or smaller ones!) for people who like to interact with this crowd.

Byn is also very active from what I've seen, but busy. I can't recommend enough checking the taverns specifically on IC leave days. Otherwise 30 minutes of night minus walking is a hard target to match to find people. Not sure if we can discuss here which IC days are leave days, but I guess I'm taking a tangent from the topic anyway.
> who
Immortals
---------

There are 0 visible Immortals currently in the world.

There are 0 players currently in the world, other than yourself.

"Only the Lonely" - Roy Orbison

Why can't we just post where to get the plots? Note the following are examples, and not indicative of the current game.

"Having trouble getting interaction? I know that during your playtime's Salarr is very active, so try them! Want to do some crime shit? Well, guess what there's currently a good crew of elves going eastside, try that out."

Why can't we do that?

My constructive plot idea:

STOP.  DYING.

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on February 23, 2016, 02:50:35 PM
Why can't we just post where to get the plots? Note the following are examples, and not indicative of the current game.

"Having trouble getting interaction? I know that during your playtime's Salarr is very active, so try them! Want to do some crime shit? Well, guess what there's currently a good crew of elves going eastside, try that out."

Why can't we do that?

In a sense, we can: rumour boards.  These are so useful.  I've sung their praises before, but let me do it again:

o As a new player, I devoured rumour boards.  They gave me a sense that something was going on, and that I was just a small part of it, or even when not, that there was a buzz going on, things out there.

o If you want to seed your own plots, rumour boards are a great way to do that.

o If you want to spread a plot to a bunch of different groups, rumour boards are a great way to do it.

o Rumour board posts can be 'atmospheric' -- this is more staff-only but a good post about how everyone in town is on edge because of hushed rumours of whatever whatever -really- help set the atmosphere, and when done right, we can pick up on that in our own roleplay and roll with it.

o So too if you want to hint that there's a new gang eastside, or that Salarr is the place to be: dump some rumours on the rumour boards, get the buzz happening.

To tie it back into the main op and intent of the thread:

When designing a plot, keep in mind the limitations and opportunities of the medium: we have the way, so certain plots won't work, for instance.  The rumour board is an (in my view) underused opportunity.
as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

February 23, 2016, 03:04:08 PM #46 Last Edit: February 23, 2016, 03:10:02 PM by BadSkeelz
Quote from: RogueGunslinger on February 23, 2016, 02:50:35 PM

Why can't we do that?

Ehhhh, I guess it removes some of the mystery? It also might preemptively expose players. If "that guy" asks on the GDB what's cooking, and we tell him Salarr, the players behind the Salarr PCs might be leery of all PCs approaching them in case they're "that guy." I'd prefer characters be judged on their in-game merits.

I would have nothing against Staff telling you "X clan is active right now "through a character request, however.

Quote from: nauta on February 23, 2016, 02:57:07 PM
rumour boards.  These are so useful.

+1

I'd like to figure a way to get two kinds of plots working -- I've seen them kind of work.

1. Twin Plots.  Think here all those Shakespear twin switcheroo plots.  This would probably require a family roll call or staff assistance, although you can certainly go around pretending to be your twin, if people play along.

2. Quixotic Quests.  I'm not talking about dwarves.  Pick something (it can be virtual at first and if it takes off maybe staff will make it real) -- e.g., kiyet lions, the ring of Balthuzzar, etc. -- and try to find it.  It works best if everyone thinks you are crazy.  It works even better if you can show tangible results that make them think: both crazy and maybe on to something?
as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

Quote from: Synthesis on February 23, 2016, 02:55:41 PM
My constructive plot idea:

STOP.  DYING.

Yes please. Nothing was more harmful to my plots than the deaths or storages of minions. But such is Arm.

I see nothing wrong with players running smaller, quest-like plots. Nobody is forcing anyone else to participate.

Hell, I had a Tuluki noble who basically did that. People like to have things to work on. And sometimes, the small things turn into much larger plots.

My best advice on how to plot:

• Make enemies with another PC.
  • Don't be afraid to lose your character in the pursuit of fun.
  • Don't let people discourage you because something is "too small" or "gets done all the time."
Big plots, little plots, doesn't matter. If you start making things happen like you just don't care, people will come.
Former player as of 2/27/23, sending love.

February 23, 2016, 04:59:12 PM #49 Last Edit: February 23, 2016, 05:00:44 PM by BadSkeelz
Quote from: valeria on February 23, 2016, 04:44:06 PM
My best advice on how to plot:

• Don't be afraid to lose your character in the pursuit of fun.
  • Don't let people discourage you because something is "too small" or "gets done all the time."
Big plots, little plots, doesn't matter. If you start making things happen like you just don't care, people will come.

All a plot really is is a goal that players work towards. Set goals for your character (especially ones that would require working with other characters to achieve) and plots will follow.

Which leads me to a point I want to make about one of Valeria's points....

Quote from: valeria on February 23, 2016, 04:44:06 PM

It's really easy for these plots to come across as forced or contrived if you simply decide to make an enemy of someone. Try and set goals that might be counter to other characters goals, or that other characters stand in the way of you achieving. Make enemies naturally through competition. Don't just roll in to the world, pick a "sensible foe" (rival merchant or noble house, gickers, breeds, sharps) and announce to them "We are enemies, you and I." This is Zalanthas. Our characters should have bigger problems (like fighting dinosaurs or finding water) than starting shit for the sake of starting shit.