Changes made to how offense, defense, weapon proficiency, and twohanded increase

Started by Synthesis, February 15, 2016, 10:40:55 AM

Quote from: release notes-Changes made to how offense, defense, weapon proficiency, and two handed increase

GET HYPE
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Quote from: Synthesis on February 15, 2016, 10:40:55 AM
Quote from: release notes-Changes made to how offense, defense, weapon proficiency, and two handed increase

GET HYPE
Hopefully they've made it raise faster on guilds other than warrior.  I had a bitch of a time on every magicker getting it up to even usable levels against wildlife.
<19:14:06> "Bushranger": Why is it always about sex with animals with you Jihelu?
<19:14:13> "Jihelu": IT's not always /with/ animals

Quote from: Asmoth on February 15, 2016, 11:05:17 AM

GET HYPE
Hopefully they've made it raise faster on guilds other than warrior.  I had a bitch of a time on every magicker getting it up to even usable levels against wildlife.

Death by goudra gang-rape is a classic way for any 'gikers to perish.
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

GET HYPE

RIP Turaal University's School of the Only Way to Improve Weapon Skills... maybe finally?
man
/mæn/

-noun

1.   A biped, ungrateful.

Quote-Changes made to how offense, defense, weapon proficiency, and two handed increase

I know someone is asking in ask the staff, but I feel this might deserve its own thread. Since it doesn't seem like a small change either, even though the excitment over subguilds are clearly overshadowing it. What does this mean exactly?

Thanks.  ;D

My bet is that someone finally took a look at it and realized that parries and/or blocks don't count as failures, as was(?) intended.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Staff finally stuck with playing a mundane class for longer than a month CONFIRMED!

You are more likely to gain in the listed skills if the opponent you're failing against is more skilled at fighting than you are.

??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Uh...?

I mean it's a good change but I was hoping it was something else.
Be gentle. I had a Nyr brush with death that I'm still getting over.

Quote from: Ender on February 15, 2016, 11:16:16 AM

GET HYPE

RIP Turaal University's School of the Only Way to Improve Weapon Skills... maybe finally?

I think it's safe to say their accreditation has been revoked.

Quote from: Nergal on February 15, 2016, 12:08:11 PM
You are more likely to gain in the listed skills if the opponent you're failing against is more skilled at fighting than you are.

I hope there is still a chance if they aren't. Because well... what about subject zero? Where does the "master" get the skills to teach the newbies?

What about getting better than the one who taught you? Tried and true movie trope. Be sad to see it go.

(Good to see Turaal and Stilt Lizard School go by the wayside though.)

Oh.

I thought this was already the case. Mind blown.

Does this mean fighting your equal won't raise your skills at all, or just very slowly?

Quote from: Delirium on February 15, 2016, 12:25:08 PM
I hope there is still a chance if they aren't.
Yes, there still is.

Quote from: Vositus on February 15, 2016, 12:26:25 PM
Does this mean fighting your equal won't raise your skills at all, or just very slowly?
It will work the same as it does now, in that case.

ok, I'll ask it.
more skilled at fighting in general (offense, defense, some weird score I don't know) , or more skilled at the specific skill?

I think we were all hoping that it meant that you now had a chance to raise your offense, defense, weapon proficiency, and two handed skills even if you didn't fail at it.

If that's not the case, I don't see how stilt lizards are now useless.

This makes clan sparring relevant now at least.
Now you're looking for the secret. But you won't find it because of course, you're not really looking. You don't really want to work it out. You want to be fooled.

Only if there is someone there better than you. Which unfortunately isn't always the case and the reason skills plateau at a certain level anyways, you are surrounded by new characters you can't really train properly on without killing.

If there is nobody better than you, then you're already at the top of the heap, no?
Now you're looking for the secret. But you won't find it because of course, you're not really looking. You don't really want to work it out. You want to be fooled.

Quote from: Malken on February 15, 2016, 12:39:51 PM
I think we were all hoping that it meant that you now had a chance to raise your offense, defense, weapon proficiency, and two handed skills even if you didn't fail at it.

If that's not the case, I don't see how stilt lizards are now useless.

Stilt lizards are useless to someone who is good at fighting a stilt lizard in a similar way to how a sparring dummy is useless to someone who is good at fighting a sparring dummy.

Quote from: Jingo on February 15, 2016, 12:42:50 PM
This makes clan sparring relevant now at least.

Yes, that was one of the points of this change.

Quote from: Dresan on February 15, 2016, 12:49:25 PM
Only if there is someone there better than you. Which unfortunately isn't always the case and the reason skills plateau at a certain level anyways, you are surrounded by new characters you can't really train properly on without killing.

Gaining skill against a peer is still possible. Gaining skill against someone not as skilled as you is still possible. The change is meant to eliminate the "plateau" through challenging oneself rather than simple luck/grinding.

Quote from: Jingo on February 15, 2016, 12:50:46 PM
If there is nobody better than you, then you're already at the top of the heap, no?

Yeah, until one-punch man walks out of the desert with the blood of stilt lizards dripping from his bone gauntlets as he wipes your entire clan.

Which has happened at least once in Arm history. Hi Red Fangs?

Quote from: Asanadas on February 15, 2016, 12:52:33 PM
Quote from: Jingo on February 15, 2016, 12:50:46 PM

Yeah, until one-punch man walks out of the desert with the blood of stilt lizards dripping from his bone gauntlets as he wipes your entire clan.

Which has happened at least once in Arm history. Hi Red Fangs?

I guess you should spar that guy then.

I'm pretty sure staff are keenly aware of the stilt lizard situation.

Quote from: Jingo on February 15, 2016, 12:54:31 PM
I guess you should spar that guy then.
Good luck!