Character Ideas. (Odd Urges 2.0)

Started by RogueGunslinger, February 12, 2016, 09:38:56 PM

Sometimes I come up with these characters ideas that I know I'll never make. Because they're too odd, or too cliche, or just something I wrote when I had better ideas. Most of the time I just end up deleting them. We should have another thread for people to dump character concepts into. The old Odd Urges thread was archived, and it deserves a successor, because it had a ton of funny, sometimes good, ideas.

Onuk

The shaggy, cloven-hooved giant

mdesc:
Long, tangled clumps of ale-brown hair drape this giants body like the fur on a pains-ox. Second most remarkable about this mutated specimen are his massive legs; Thickly muscled with two knee-joints like the hind legs of a carru, they're supported by thick hooves cloven down the center. His massive frame seems sturdily supported by his legs, and when in motion his gait is smooth and strong. Dark, glossy eyes peer out from thick drapes of fur, devoid of the whites common among humanoids. His face is thick and bony, covered in short hair with a protruding forhead and cheeks and a jutting chin. His ears are wide and flat, each muscled to allow them to turn slightly towards sound. His furred body is parted by the occasional scar and his long arms end in hard, rough hands, the yellowed nails particularly thick.

sdesc:
Onuk raised himself in the desert wastes alone after he was cast out of a caravan because his parents feared and were disgusted by his mutation. Because of his young age when this happened his grasp on language has always been limited, and he often prefers to not speak at all. In the wastes he survived as carrion often do, eating from scraps of long dead corpses, and following beasts and game-trails towards watering holes. He's intensely curious, and can often spend days enamoured with the simplest of things. Still young, he has a lot to learn about the known, but survival comes natural too him having spent most of his time in the desert.

Warrior-Outdoorsman

end str wis agi

Spec-app wants:

Items: loincloth, spear, shoulder-slung satchel

Gains:
Can see through storms.
~300 movement points
High endurance.

Detriments:
Limited speech capability.
No riding.
No boots.

Miyaka

The deeply-scarred elf woman

Mdesc:
This elf woman's head has been shaven bald. She has a small, pointed nose, and deep-socketed green eyes. Her skin is covered in a myriad of scars, most old and long-healed. She's average of height, with a lean, sinuous build. Her face is marred by a long scar that stretches from the left cheekbone to her chin, deep like a crevice. The scar is wide at the center and narrows to three points where the flesh split open. The scar tissue is still a nasty shade of purple, and carries the small circular scars caused by uneven stitching along its edges.

Background:
Miyaka was born on the streets of The Labyrinth, raised in a small tribe of killers known for their displays of violence. When she was very young her parents were murdered. When she found their bodies she couldn't stand how ugly they seemed to be, sprawled and mishappen, and in an attempt to fix them she arranged their bodies and cleaned away their blood. Ever since Miyaka has been fascinated by death, and finds a certain artistic quality to it. She finds the macabre beautiful, and desirable.

details:
Murders people and arranges corpses in elaborate tableus.
Painter and artist of some sort.

Assassin-Master Crafter?
Merchant-slipknife?

Feel free to add your own ideas(or steal them/make them your own). Simple or complex. Funny or serious.

Sometimes I feel like "normal" is the special snowflake of Armageddon. Seeing other people's character ideas make me feel boring.

Mostly I just like the Good Time Charlie who hunts/grebs when he needs beer money. I don't need an emotionally scarring backstory. "Growing up in Gimmelshtump was very hard."

If you want a scarring backstory just pick Mul or Half elf and bang.

Honestly, as other people have said, when you have a big arching plan for a PC it can be easy to burn out of it. Sometimes, those ideas of "I'm just gonna roll a half-giant who mines obsidian for coin, and then spends that coin on expensive food" turns out to be a great role that is always fun.

That said, character idea:

A disfigured nomad, last vestige of a small family that got raided by gith. While not raised by them, tends to idolize them. Probably ranger, but spec-app to have a higher-capacity throw. Use throwing spears to attack people in the wilderness, and when they -are- dead, try to turn them into gith by disfiguring their feet and breaking their backs. When you DO see gith, stupidly go up to them and try to talk, no matter how many times they kick your ass.

Dwarf-like focus? Become accepted by the gith for your raiding and combat prowess. Bonus points if its through a PC gith.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Quote from: Riev on February 14, 2016, 11:18:54 AM
Honestly, as other people have said, when you have a big arching plan for a PC it can be easy to burn out of it. Sometimes, those ideas of "I'm just gonna roll a half-giant who mines obsidian for coin, and then spends that coin on expensive food" turns out to be a great role that is always fun.

That said, character idea:

A disfigured nomad, last vestige of a small family that got raided by gith. While not raised by them, tends to idolize them. Probably ranger, but spec-app to have a higher-capacity throw. Use throwing spears to attack people in the wilderness, and when they -are- dead, try to turn them into gith by disfiguring their feet and breaking their backs. When you DO see gith, stupidly go up to them and try to talk, no matter how many times they kick your ass.

Dwarf-like focus? Become accepted by the gith for your raiding and combat prowess. Bonus points if its through a PC gith.
Even bigger bonus if staff lets it happen.

I really want to give character ideas but half of mine just end up being League characters ;.;

I don't mind league-character copies so long as you don't also steal their name. I also don't mind fi you steal their name if your characters looks vastly different.

The general idea was:

Welcome to the tribe of (-Insert name here-)
A tribe vastly good at running away.
Having existed since the time of the dragon the tribe has had one, or two ,advantages throughout their life span.
They have a sorcerer at all times highly trained in movement sorcereries.
In the time of the Dragon this was largely used for other things as well, combat spells and the like, but over time they focused on one thing as it was easier to straight teach.
Run the fuck away.

Your character is one to be trained as the one that lets them run away, but out of their control their tribe has been destroyed and they are left alone.
Their master also dead they face uncertainty in the future.
Do they try and become a master at the art of fucking off like their own?
Do they try and find a way to rekindle the tribe?
Etc etc.

Well I've already had a sorc whose backstory was loosely based off of Jareth and Sarah, so my life is pretty much complete.

One of the things that sadden me is no matter how hard I'll ever try theres probably no ic way to become a sorcerer for characters that want to but I guess its still in the realm of possibility or some shit.
And getting 5  karma is just.
Well.
I have a job and school ;.;

I don't even have 5 karma yet. You're may be more likely to become a sorcerer through plots in-game than through karma-grinding. And I don't even know if that's still a possibility.

Dwarf Ranger, Movement Magick

Focus: Tektilolnes has ruled Allanak long enough, time to fly up to his tower and depose that fuck!

Added difficulty: Being Preserver only.
<19:14:06> "Bushranger": Why is it always about sex with animals with you Jihelu?
<19:14:13> "Jihelu": IT's not always /with/ animals

I love dwarves. Love em in every campaign setting EXCEPT this one. I'm not sure why. I think it's just that dwarves are normally so tradition bound and culturally structured but in this setting all that is ripped away.

You're left with a short, bald guy with a speech impairment.

One of my favorite character ideas is a young man who sincerely wants to open up a burlesque house in Allanak but has no business sense whatsoever. Cue antics.
Part-Time Internets Lady

You know, I'm honestly not sad that I've never played a Sorcerer. It's the only option I've never played and have never had an interest in playing. Loneliness of a c-elf rinthi, spell grind of a magicker... x6, and the expectation that you'll have to lead plots. No thanks. Don't get me wrong, I loved having them because it meant that ambitious players could always do something fun to make the world more dangerous... but not my cup of tea. I like the extended subguild sorcs better, personally. Are those live yet??
Quote from: musashiengaging in autoerotic asphyxiation is no excuse for sloppy grammer!!!

Armageddon.org

I once had a character, a human who was obsessed with cutlery and making it. Finally, a use for the tinker subguild.

I always liked the idea of a black-haired krathi, or a flame-haired drovian, with brilliant red hair.

I was going to make a ranger with the express purpose of exploring that one place up north that I never got through the nasties to. Never did it.

We should have a couple more mutants in the game. People seem almost to accept the eye color mutants, something besides that because those seem to be fairly common.

Seriously though---- sometimes when my tinker character talked to people, she would say, "Do you like forks and spoons?" and start off a conversation about it and about how much she loved making and using cooking and eating cutlery.

A dwarf with the focus to sell spice in Allanak.

A tribal whose tribe is dead because they killed off the rest in order to get their hands on *starting money woo*

those extended subguild sorcs are now what you pick as a regular sorc.
Quote from: Adhira on January 01, 2014, 07:15:46 PM
I could give a shit about wholesome.

I once wrote up a desc for fun for a HG mutant. I thought a giant who grew harm over his skin sounded sick af
Part-Time Internets Lady

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on February 14, 2016, 11:59:32 AM
I don't even have 5 karma yet. You're may be more likely to become a sorcerer through plots in-game than through karma-grinding. And I don't even know if that's still a possibility.

I.. uhh.. what?  17,000+ posts and less than 5 karma?
man
/mæn/

-noun

1.   A biped, ungrateful.

Quote from: Ender on February 15, 2016, 10:06:29 AM

Number of posts doesn't mean dick.

And they do factor GDB behavior into karma, I wish they didn't, but they do.
<19:14:06> "Bushranger": Why is it always about sex with animals with you Jihelu?

my ideas are too good i'm not sharing them

emote clutches her ideas covetously, like a dragon on a pile of gold.
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

Quote from: Asmoth on February 15, 2016, 10:07:40 AM

No, but being that invested in the community, but yet not having the level of trust to play a drovian is kinda mind boggling.
man
/mæn/

-noun

1.   A biped, ungrateful.

Quote from: Ender on February 15, 2016, 02:34:04 PM

No, but being that invested in the community, but yet not having the level of trust to play a drovian is kinda mind boggling.

What boggled my mind was the great karma giveaway of years gone by. Loads of people getting rid of their karma because there were too many high karma characters running around. Instead of putting yourself in a zero karma rehab... just stop making magickers and muls for a while?
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Quote from: Ender on February 15, 2016, 02:34:04 PM

I have lost and gained karma mostly over blow ups with Nyr.  Totally my fault, but it does suck how easy it is to lose and how hard it is to gain.

I didn't start being a decent player until the past couple years. I was never bad, I just never lived long enough for staff to see anything. Also I had another account with 2 karma that I had deleted. Also, Drovians and Krathi are 4 karma so it's all good. Having 4 Karma puts me in range of everything except sorcerers and Muls, neither of which I want to play.

But I agree I'm awesome and should have had 8 karma ages ago.  ;)