Odd quirks of code. (Offshoot of Random Arm Thought)

Started by Asmoth, February 11, 2016, 01:28:42 AM

February 15, 2016, 03:19:17 AM #25 Last Edit: February 15, 2016, 03:22:30 AM by RogueGunslinger
lol

Did you watch the video? Gauntlets are just leather gloves on palm-side.

Also some gloves could be coated in tar with jagged little spikes on the inside for gripping if we're getting into specifics of glove type.

In general though. Gloves are clunky and make things unwieldy.

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on February 15, 2016, 03:19:17 AM
lol

No, watching some guy with a hippy beard and too much time on his hands playing with old weapons isn't my idea of a fun time.
<19:14:06> "Bushranger": Why is it always about sex with animals with you Jihelu?
<19:14:13> "Jihelu": IT's not always /with/ animals

Quote from: Asmoth on February 15, 2016, 03:21:05 AM
lol

No, watching some guy with a hippy beard and too much time on his hands playing with old weapons isn't my idea of a fun time.

ಠ_ಠ
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Quote from: Asmoth on February 15, 2016, 03:21:05 AM
lol

If you want to reply to the content of the video ... you should probably watch the video. Mostly out of good form in general, but since he addresses your point of contention directly, you ought watch it for that reason as well.

February 15, 2016, 03:47:32 AM #29 Last Edit: February 15, 2016, 03:50:19 AM by evilcabbage
he is specifically referring to gauntlets in that video.

the material for the gloves is considerably thicker - he explicitly stated "thick" gloves, with armor and wrist covering that restricts movement of the wrist.

that is where the issues with handling comes into play.

that is what would restrict defensive capabilities.

does he say anything in there about it being easier to disarm that weapon, or that it makes it harder to grip the weapon?

i went through most of the video and i am fairly sure he does not say that.

in fact, he says nothing at all about your grip on the weapon being affected, other than that it is more difficult to maneuver the weapon in certain guards because of an extreeeeemely cumbersome early gauntlet.
Quote from: Adhira on January 01, 2014, 07:15:46 PM
I could give a shit about wholesome.

Cross posting:

At the 1:52 minute mark he actually does say: "If you have a particularly bulky glove, you know that it's getting a bit difficult to manipulate things."

It also seems like from googling different "extra grip gloves" on the market that the extra grip they advertise is framed as an added feature to offset the natural hindrance in grip one gets from wearing gloves in the first place.

Personal experience also indicated to me that it's harder to grip things, pick things up, or generally do anything that involves fine motor skill manipulation, while wearing a layer of dead animal skin over my digits.

I'm just not seeing the evidence for the case you're laying out. The assertion you're making appears unfounded to me.  :-\

actually after going through a forum for rock climbers, i have to say i was wrong entirely. or at least, there are specialized gloves to enhance grip.

however, climbing gloves would be more useful for wood, with the spikes, rather than climbing rock.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pWzZdBpCHk

cross posting.

Cross posting as well to note here for posterity that you are both a gentleman and a scholar.

And yes I agree with you vis a vis climbing gloves. The ones we have described in game along with the boots and ankle spikes are really designed for gripping relatively soft surfaces like wood. Probably wouldn't be so useful for stone which is what you're climbing 99% of the time in Zalanthas.

everybody uses them to climb cliffs.

there was mention of something about lizard scales enhancing grip in that rock climbing forum.

maybe that would be a good place to look for information about how to climb stuff and how lizards scales enhance their grip.

The only time I have ever used climbing gloves/climbing spikes was when I was a Byn sergeant. NO FALLING OFF CLIFFS FOR ME, THANK YOU VERY MUCH.

QuoteA female voice says, in sirihish:
     "] yer a wizard, oashi"

Quote from: bcw81 on February 15, 2016, 06:44:35 AM
The only time I have ever used climbing gloves/climbing spikes was when I was a Byn sergeant. NO FALLING OFF CLIFFS FOR ME, THANK YOU VERY MUCH.
Bash needs to have the option of bashing someone in a direction. Bash BCW81 North.

Quote from: John on February 15, 2016, 07:29:30 AM
Quote from: bcw81 on February 15, 2016, 06:44:35 AM
Bash needs to have the option of bashing someone in a direction. Bash BCW81 North.
So you wanna play a Carru?  Special app it!
<19:14:06> "Bushranger": Why is it always about sex with animals with you Jihelu?
<19:14:13> "Jihelu": IT's not always /with/ animals

I use riding gloves (knit with rubberised grips on them) for walking dogs during the winter, and my hands slip on the lead a lot more than when I am either wearing fingerless non-grippy gloves or bare handed (although less than just plain knit!).  Equally, I used fingerless gloves for LARPing because a) it was blitheringly cold, and b) because full gloves gave less grip.  I think the code makes sense, imho  :-\
Previous of note: Kaevya the blind Tor Scorpion, Kaloraynai 'Raynai' the beetle Ruk, Korenyire of SLK, Koal 'Kick' the hooved Whiran, Kocadici/Dici/Glimmer, Koefaxine the giant Oashi 'Aide', Kosmia 'Grit' the rinthi
Current: Like I'd tell you.

Quote from: Asmoth on February 15, 2016, 02:46:36 PM
Dude, if I was going to special app an animal I would totally special app a lank, find a newbie and then go on wacky adventures.

Quote from: John on February 19, 2016, 02:06:16 AM
Quote from: Asmoth on February 15, 2016, 02:46:36 PM
Dude, if I was going to special app an animal I would totally special app a lank, find a newbie and then go on wacky adventures.

Lank? Larping kank? So would I!

Quote from: Kyviantre on February 15, 2016, 05:13:54 PM
I use riding gloves (knit with rubberised grips on them) for walking dogs during the winter, and my hands slip on the lead a lot more than when I am either wearing fingerless non-grippy gloves or bare handed (although less than just plain knit!).  Equally, I used fingerless gloves for LARPing because a) it was blitheringly cold, and b) because full gloves gave less grip.  I think the code makes sense, imho  :-\

Part of the enhanced grip design came from gloves but when metalcrafting became significantly advanced enough to create articulated gloves then you started seeing sword and knife handles evolve to fit them. They were slightly thicker and covered in materials that specifically could be held onto. Sharkskin was one such material used in Japan.

There is no good reason for ALL gloves to make you easier to disarm. Blood and sweat getting between flesh and the surface of the weapon's grip would be a much greater factor than a basic leather glove. I can see if you're wearing a giant set of bone mittens that you'd lose gripping power but a pair of tregil-hide gloves would actually ENHANCE your gripping power.

The effect is negligible. Not really worth worrying over. Certainly not worth going in and specifically changing the values of every glove item.

I wouldn't really mind there being two types of gloves.
A
"You can hold shit better" glove
And a "You drop shit more often but armor" glove