Distance and outdoor rooms

Started by JackGibbons, February 08, 2016, 10:25:26 PM

I don't see much on the word 'leagues' in this form so I'll go ahead and ask anyway.

Is there any sort of standard for the way to talk around the concept of rooms when outside of the walls? For example, I've heard both 'league' and 'hundred-cord', but the docs say that a 'hundred-cord' is about 1500 inches, or 41 yards/38 meters. This is vastly different than a distance of three "miles", which are 5333 cords or roughly 1.25 miles/2km. There are definitely creatures, though, that charge at you from 'far', which, being two rooms out, is a distance ranging from 2-4 km which seems excessive.

Anyway, clearly some hand waving has to happen. But is there a consensus for 'hundred-cord', 'league' or any other unit for a 'room' away, along with any tips for how to phrase things without having to refer to such things at all?

It would be cool if there was some kind of doc like "Luirs to Allanak is reckoned at seventy leagues", etc.
> who
Immortals
---------

There are 0 visible Immortals currently in the world.

There are 0 players currently in the world, other than yourself.

"Only the Lonely" - Roy Orbison

I don't think I've ever heard hundred-cord used...

But let's see....inches and cords are used in game, as are miles and leagues.

An inch in Zalanthas is similar to the inch as we know it.  A cord is fifteen inches long.
A mile is 5333 cords and a league is about three miles. 

http://www.armageddon.org/help/view/Units%20of%20Measurement

However, even though we commonly refer to one outdoor room as one league...I'm not sure that measurement-wise all outdoor rooms equal one league.

I use leagues. Everyone knows what you mean.

riding = leagues
walking or shooting = hundred paces

"Meet me three leagues from the city gates."

"Shot him at about two hundred paces."

Leagues bothers me as it's a ridiculous amount of distance, but... I have yet to think of a better solution. Since miles has been deemed anachronistic.

Two dwarves get into a small fist-fray over who owns a pile of dung at the roadside.

You think:
     "Get your shit together"

A skinny, noobish young man says, "About four leagues that way."

A veteran, snobbish old timer says, "Oh, you must mean four Tek units."

>label veteran doofus

Quote from: manonfire on February 09, 2016, 09:07:57 AM
Parsecs?

>title beetle MilleniumFalcon
QuoteYou hear a man's voice from the north say, in sirihish:
     "Fuck that, not the day to be in the Gaj."

February 09, 2016, 02:04:19 PM #8 Last Edit: February 09, 2016, 02:11:38 PM by hyzhenhok
Everyone uses leagues. Even if it rubs you the wrong way, it's just the easiest way to communicate something that ICly should not be that difficult to communicate.

It's something you can chalk up to the necessarily magical mediation that the MUD is doing between us the the game world, just like we do with language.

Quote from: hyzhenhok on February 09, 2016, 02:04:19 PM
Everyone uses leagues. Even if it rubs you the wrong way, it's just the easiest way to communicate something that ICly should not be that difficult to communicate.

It's something you can chalk up to the necessarily magical mediation that the MUD is doing between us the the game world, just like we do

Agreed. Just wish there was a better option. But it's a small thing that's easily overlooked.

Quote from: Delirium on February 09, 2016, 09:00:22 AM
riding = leagues
walking or shooting = hundred paces

"Meet me three leagues from the city gates."

"Shot him at about two hundred paces."

Leagues bothers me as it's a ridiculous amount of distance, but... I have yet to think of a better solution. Since miles has been deemed anachronistic.

Yeah, the only thing weird about this to me is if they're talking about the same thing, i.e. two game rooms distant, those two statements are referring to a range of distances 10x apart. But I guess that's just how we do it. Thanks for pointing out the archery thing, since I guess it sounds silly to say you can shoot someone 4km away with a bow.

Are miles anachronistic? They still make an appearance in 'help distance'.
> who
Immortals
---------

There are 0 visible Immortals currently in the world.

There are 0 players currently in the world, other than yourself.

"Only the Lonely" - Roy Orbison

I don't like 'leagues' but even more fundamentally, I don't like counting rooms to give directions. I understand that it seems unavoidable, but it's easy enough to give directions with landmarks. I don't care what other people do, but my characters don't give out turn by turn directions with room counts.
"No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality; even larks and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream." - Shirley Jackson, The Haunting of Hill House

If landmarks fail, I do leagues outside and blocks in-city.
Yes. Read the thread if you want, or skip to page 7 and be dismissive.
-Reiloth

Words I repeat every time I start a post:
Quote from: Rathustra on June 23, 2016, 03:29:08 PM
Stop being shitty to each other.

I shit you not, I once saw a VERY old character go,

Go east five rooms, south once to the room titled thing.  Then go west and you'll be there.

IC.

I was torn because he was definitely helping a newbie, but sorta like, "Did you even try?"
<19:14:06> "Bushranger": Why is it always about sex with animals with you Jihelu?
<19:14:13> "Jihelu": IT's not always /with/ animals

Leagues and blocks is the norm. Hundred paces for archery.

This is why no one should ever take directions from my characters.
"Yeah,  just go  up the road a ways, turn left....keep walkin, theres this big building. Its got what ya need.
Oh if ya in some dark alleys, ya went too far. "
The Ooze is strong with this one

Quote from: 8bitgrandpa on June 28, 2016, 12:01:20 AM
You are our official hammer, Ooze.

Malachi 2:3

yeah i'm in the dark alley. there's four directions i can go.

i see six guys walking towards me.

help.
Quote from: Adhira on January 01, 2014, 07:15:46 PM
I could give a shit about wholesome.

Quote from: evilcabbage on February 10, 2016, 05:58:51 AM
yeah i'm in the dark alley. there's four directions i can go.

i see six guys walking towards me.

help.

rem rope
wield rope
emote waves goodbye.
up