More crafting questions

Started by ChibiTama, February 06, 2016, 02:05:44 PM

Do you only improve a crafting skill if you fail at a craft attempt?
Quote from: AdamBluewear Inix pelvis
You wear a wood-carved inix strap-on on your pelvis.
etwo wood
You reach down and grasp your wood-carved inix strap-on.
kill booty

You only level/branch skills, excluding a few things but those are like languages/etc, from failures.

What are some foraging type crafts you can do at apprentice skill level? I can't actually forage for right now.
etwo wood
kill booty

Quote from: ChibiTama on February 06, 2016, 02:13:43 PM
What are some foraging type crafts you can do at apprentice skill level? I can't actually forage for right now.
It really depends on what crafting skills you have but an obvious one you could think of is cooking or possibly jewerly making as the things you find could be used for both.
Though foraging for food is a class specific thing so don't rely on that.
It's better to ask around in character of "Hey whats some easy shit I can make I'm trying to be a X" or something as crafting lists are a no no.

And you always have the Great Merchant Houses that can help your PC learn the trade, but for lists, but just ideas what items to use, ect.
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

If you look at your skill list and then type "help <skill>" for your crafting skills, it will often give you one or two basic recipes essentially for free. You can start with those.

Also, pick up logical ingredients and try out different combinations. Like if you pick up a piece of bone, type "craft bone" and see what could possibly be made from that. Some of it is intuitive and some isn't. Some requires two or more different ingredients.

But there's a lot you can craft from a single item usually. I mastered armorcraft once just making like 3 basic items over and over again to sell.

The way the skill system was explained to me ...

You have a CHANCE to increase upon a fail. You have a SMALLER chance to increase upon a success. You can increase only once per duration which is roughly governed by your will. (Higher will means a shorter duration.) The average, I think, is about an hour.

Later, when you've gotten plenty of coin you can buy things or find things and use the "analyze" command on them to get the list of ingredients. I submitted an idea awhile back that "analyze" be included in the view output for crafters but haven't heard any feedback on that.

Well, I was just wanting some basic ideas of what I can do to help with my forage skill without actually foraging, as I can't for IC reasons at the moment. Someone told me that I could break down stones, but there is only one kind I have found that I have been able to do this with at the moment.
etwo wood
kill booty

I believe that sifting spice uses the foraging skill (definitely finding the spice patch does) and also using a pickaxe on quarried stone you've found.

Other than that, your IC reasons are going to limit your foraging. :)

you can break down several different types of stones which is a forage thing i believe.

i am not sure beyond that. using forage in many locations may surprise you if you use the right keywords.

forage artifact is your friend.
Quote from: Adhira on January 01, 2014, 07:15:46 PM
I could give a shit about wholesome.

Quote from: evilcabbage on February 06, 2016, 06:03:45 PM
you can break down several different types of stones which is a forage thing i believe.

i am not sure beyond that. using forage in many locations may surprise you if you use the right keywords.

forage artifact is your friend.
Forage Artifact I believe is the most difficult thing to forage, so trying to find it, will almost certainly give you the fails it takes to learn.

However, it will be boring as piss seeing You looked around and couldn't find shit, over and over.

I would recommend salting, stone foraging etc.  Because that at least you can sell, you can't sell the artifacts you're not going to find for a while.
<19:14:06> "Bushranger": Why is it always about sex with animals with you Jihelu?
<19:14:13> "Jihelu": IT's not always /with/ animals

Salting is the way to go.
Find out ic what salt is gonna make you that big moneys fam.

Forage artifact will make you want to kys out of boredom because, as far as I know of, very few rooms let you do it or unless someone has burried something.

As far as jobs go, I'm a fan of spice sifting.

A little for me, a little for Kurac. A little for me, a little for Kurac.

Quote from: Miradus on February 07, 2016, 08:30:14 PM
As far as jobs go, I'm a fan of spice sifting.

A little for me, a little for Kurac. A little for me, a little for Kurac.
I too enjoy spice sifting, the only bitch is that the weather around storm is so horrible that it almost never works unless you're guild ranger.
<19:14:06> "Bushranger": Why is it always about sex with animals with you Jihelu?

Yeah, even then you can't see the ground a lot of the time. I have been trying to figure out the seasonal patterns but no luck. What I've charted thus far goes mostly like, "storm storm storm no-storm storm storm."

I just like Red Storm. I don't know why I don't play down there more. It's just chocked full of flavor more than almost any other town/village I've been in. The Mos Eisley kind of flavor that I so adore.

I can't really salt, either, due to IC reasons, which is why I'm having such difficulties figuring out how to practice it.
etwo wood
kill booty

Quote from: ChibiTama on February 07, 2016, 09:54:39 PM
I can't really salt, either, due to IC reasons, which is why I'm having such difficulties figuring out how to practice it.
Breaking down stones.
Some areas inside the city have foragable areas as far as I know? If it lets you attempt it you can do it. And usually you fail more.

Quote from: ChibiTama on February 07, 2016, 09:54:39 PM

Ahh I take that to read, "I'm in a clan." And to that all I'll say is that, while your clan imms can see everything you do via logs and shit.  Your Sergeant/Merchant/Random Title can not.

You are not required to play a straight and narrow, and if you know that nobody will be looking for you currently, you could always take a right out and experience the salt.

Also, Barrier is your friend, everyone train barrier.  Even though it crushes most of the time like a wet paper towel, it might block that first attempt of your leader and they will assume you're logged off.

Quote from: Asmoth on February 07, 2016, 10:01:51 PM
it might block that first attempt of your leader and they will assume you're logged off.
Pretty sure you get a different message if someone has barrier on.

Quote from: roobee on February 07, 2016, 10:05:57 PM
it might block that first attempt of your leader and they will assume you're logged off.
That's what I thought, too.
etwo wood
kill booty

Quote from: ChibiTama on February 07, 2016, 10:10:01 PM
Quote from: roobee on February 07, 2016, 10:05:57 PM
That's what I thought, too.

If I recall, it used to be different messages but that was changed and the echo is the same whether you fail your contact or the person just isn't logged in.