Guild/Subguild Combination of ...

Started by Miradus, January 30, 2016, 06:48:22 PM

I sometimes have difficulty understanding how the guild/subguild combos fit together into a coherent theme. How would you classify ...

Batman?
Riddick?
The Witcher?

Or any other well-known characters you can think of?

Batman: ranger/Toolmaker (spec apped to master level tools and city sneak/hide)

Riddick: Assassin/outdoorsman

Geralt: Warrior/physician (for the brewing)

Joker: Nilazi/bard

Hulk: Mul/physician

Iornman: Merchant/Merc
Quote from: BleakOne
Dammit Kol you made me laugh too.
A staff member sends:
     "Hi! Please don't kill the sparring dummy."

Quote from: Kol on January 30, 2016, 07:13:50 PM

It would depend somewhat on the build, but Geralt seems more a Ranger/combat-sorcerer who spec-apps for parry after mastering 2hand.

I can see that, yup, that works better.
Quote from: BleakOne
Dammit Kol you made me laugh too.
A staff member sends:
     "Hi! Please don't kill the sparring dummy."

Sailor Moon. Go.
Case: he's more likely to shoot up a mcdonalds for selling secret obama sauce on its big macs
Kismet: didn't see you in GQ homey
BadSkeelz: Whatever you say, Kim Jong Boog
Quote from: Tuannon
There is only one boog.

Must ... not .. be ... outgeeked ...

Assassin/acrobat!

Quote from: MeTekillot on January 30, 2016, 08:17:54 PM
Levi is definitelya warrior dude

I dunno ... I watched a whole season and definitely saw him pull off some backstabs. :)

Quote from: BadSkeelz on January 30, 2016, 07:21:35 PM
Quote from: Kol on January 30, 2016, 07:13:50 PM

It would depend somewhat on the build, but Geralt seems more a Ranger/combat-sorcerer who spec-apps for parry after mastering 2hand.

Honestly, I think he etwos just to look cool.
Case: he's more likely to shoot up a mcdonalds for selling secret obama sauce on its big macs
There is only one boog.

Psion/mercenary
Yes. Read the thread if you want, or skip to page 7 and be dismissive.
-Reiloth

Words I repeat every time I start a post:
Quote from: Rathustra on June 23, 2016, 03:29:08 PM
Stop being shitty to each other.

Gandalf
I would say what, preserver/the sword wielding sub guild maybe?

If you don't know who this guy is, please guess his guild/subguild just based on appearance.

If you do know... then you KNOW what he is.

Um.

Psi/bard? O.o
There is only one boog.

phoenix: psionic/sorc spec app
Batman: Ranger/Tinker
Captain America: Warrior/protector
Superman: Oldschool sorc
Ironman: Merchant/Armor
Hawkeye: Ranger/Rebel
Invisible woman: Whiran/physician
Nightcrawler: Drovian/acrobat
Spiderman: Burglar/acrobat
Electro: Elkran/Aggressor
Flash: D-elf.
Gambit: Burglar/con artist
Groot: Dorf warrior/protector
Riddick: Assassin/outdoorsman

Donald Trump: No main guild, subguild Con Artist
A staff member sends you:
"Normally we don't see a <redacted> walk into a room full of <redacted> and start indiscriminately killing."

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."

I think Trump is an unmanifested krathi/con artist that stays unmanifested all of his life.

Dwarf merchant/con artist in a master-crafted toupee
Focus: LOOK AT ME

Uhhhh sorcerer/warrior/acrobat
errrrrr Sorcerer/warrior/half-giant
Now you're looking for the secret. But you won't find it because of course, you're not really looking. You don't really want to work it out. You want to be fooled.

Quote from: Miradus on January 30, 2016, 06:48:22 PM
I sometimes have difficulty understanding how the guild/subguild combos fit together into a coherent theme. How would you classify ...

As fun as classifying pop culture characters is, I don't think it's the best way to answer your original question. (If I understand it correctly.)

Mechanically
- Your main guild has many skills, all of which you'll get pretty good to amazing at. This is the most important guild choice, obviously.
- Subguilds generally have 3-5 skills, which are usually capped pretty low (jman, or low-end advanced).
- Extended subguilds have more skills than regular subguilds, and at a higher cap (high advanced to low master, depending). They're basically a halfway between subguild and mainguild. So an outdoorsman has worse archery than a Ranger, but better archery than hunter or archer.

Your subguild basically adds skills to your main guild, so usually you want it to be different. Eg, Ranger/Hunter isn't a very good combination because a ranger can already do everything a hunter can do - but better.

Thematically
Your choices should reflect your character's upbringing, experiences, or aspirations. You main guild is what your character is best at (or will become best at), and subguild kind of rounds it out and gives it background. For instance, you want to play a soldier so you go main guild warrior. But maybe your background says that you were a poor orphan and you grew up fending for yourself, so you go with the "thief" subguild to reflect your street-urchin up bringing.  Or maybe you were raised as a hunter, so you choose main guild Ranger, but you aspire to be a world-class weapon crafter, so you spec app an extended subguild Master Weapon Crafter.

As a side note, it's probably not a good idea to play out your favorite characters from other stories in Zalanthas. It's a niche setting, so a lot of times you'll end up playing something that doesn't really fit in, isn't very effective, and is ultimately falls way short of the character you're trying to play.  I remember before Tuluk closed there was a guy running around playing an exact rip of Detective L from Death Note, despite Zalanthas not having detectives, and no player being able to match L's almost omnipotent intellect and reasoning. I couldn't speak for how fulfilling he found the role, but most people made fun of him and didn't take his character seriously. How could we? The concept was completely foreign to the setting.
Quote from: musashiengaging in autoerotic asphyxiation is no excuse for sloppy grammer!!!

Armageddon.org

A merchant picking a crafting subguild that they branch fairly quickly is a pretty poor decision. Unless you're trying to constrain your skills. I once made a ranger/scavenger, in order to have nothing apart from survival skills. Cause if I put even toolmaking in there, I would have eventually used it.

Sometimes you want your subguild to overlap because that's what suits the concept.

Plus it gives you a bit of a starting boost, which becomes irrelevant for long-lived PCs but is nice to get over the initial hump.

Quote from: The Silence of the Erdlus on February 03, 2016, 12:58:17 PM
A merchant picking a crafting subguild that they branch fairly quickly is a pretty poor decision. Unless you're trying to constrain your skills. I once made a ranger/scavenger, in order to have nothing apart from survival skills. Cause if I put even toolmaking in there, I would have eventually used it.

Ranger/guard
Ranger/acrobat
Ranger/linguist
Ranger/con artist
Ranger/caravan guide
Ranger/Aggressor/bruiser/lancer/berserker
Ranger/protector
Ranger/Master Trader

If you really suck at playing rangers (or assassins), but just want to play a straightforward ranger (or assassin), you should go with extended subguild protector, so you don't have to play the 10-15 day parry-branch grind minigame.  Probably worth the CGP, honestly, because there ain't -many- rangers or assassins that survive long enough to branch parry, to be honest.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

I'm not sure if it's part of your question since you were asking about pop culture mappings to Arm guilds/subguilds, but one thing I think is worth pointing out to new players who may be reading this is that you should usually pick a subguild that doesn't completely overlay your existing guild.

Sometimes people put in apps for stuff like Ranger/hunter which does you almost zero good.  They get nearly the same skills, and picking hunter doesn't boost your main guild at all.  (In this specific case, you'd get the ability to make arrows from day 0 - and that's it!)  You'll get more bang for your buck if you pick a subguild with little to no skill overlap with your main guild.

Conan the Barbarian: Warrior/Rogue
Thulsa Doom: Psion/Outdoorsman

Quote from: seidhr on February 03, 2016, 02:25:31 PM
I think is worth pointing out to new players who may be reading this is that you should usually pick a subguild that doesn't completely overlay your existing guild.

So looking forward to easier to read skill listings so I stop doing this!
Quote from: BadSkeelz
Ah well you should just kill those PCs. They're not worth the time of plotting creatively against.

I'm not sure if it's part of your question since you were asking about pop culture mappings to Arm guilds/subguilds, but one thing I think is worth pointing out to new players who may be reading this is that you should usually pick a subguild that doesn't completely overlay your existing guild.

Sometimes people put in apps for stuff like Ranger/hunter which does you almost zero good.  They get nearly the same skills, and picking hunter doesn't boost your main guild at all.  (In this specific case, you'd get the ability to make arrows from day 0 - and that's it!)  You'll get more bang for your buck if you pick a subguild with little to no skill overlap with your main guild.

It helped to a degree, but I've never found a listing of what subguilds come with what skills. I found hints and scattered insinuations on the forum and went with that, plus some trial and error.

But the thread turned out to be more fun than simply informative, which is a good thing. :)

Quote from: Miradus on February 03, 2016, 08:22:48 PM

It helped to a degree, but I've never found a listing of what subguilds come with what skills. I found hints and scattered insinuations on the forum and went with that, plus some trial and error.

But the thread turned out to be more fun than simply informative, which is a good thing. :)

In line with the other thread about meta, I personally think that while which skills each subguild has is fairly clear to someone who is experienced and can interpret the text descriptions of them, it's not very newbie friendly to those who aren't already familiar. It'd be nice if the actual skills subguilds get would be permitted to be listed. Also a warning: the crafting ones generally can't get master. e.g. I picked a regular armorcrafter guild and couldn't get to Master and mastercraft. To do so, you need the 3 CGP level of Master Armorcrafter / Master Weaponcraft, and no you can't upgrade an existing character. Without karma, you can still try one of those by submitting a special app. You get 3 per year and no more than 1 per month. But if you're really new, I wouldn't waste one of these apps when you're going to die to dangers you haven't learned to avoid yet.
> who
Immortals
---------

There are 0 visible Immortals currently in the world.

There are 0 players currently in the world, other than yourself.

"Only the Lonely" - Roy Orbison

Without karma, you can put in the extended/skill bump app and still get one. An extended/skill bump app includes the +3 karma for a special application.

Whoops, yes. They're separate on the dropdown. Thanks for clarifying.
> who
Immortals
---------

No problem my friend, I am here to save the day :3!

I didn't really understand that last part. So I can get a regular subguild bumped up into an extended subguild on an existing character?

Quote from: Miradus on February 04, 2016, 06:08:12 PM
I didn't really understand that last part. So I can get a regular subguild bumped up into an extended subguild on an existing character?

No, I was warning you that you could not do that. I made a subguild armorcrafter and had a blast making armor, and eventually asked staff when it was stuck at advanced forever and never mastered. They replied, sorry, regular subguilds don't master; you need an extended subguild. And I was also told that you can't upgrade from armorcrafter -> master armorcrafter but would need to roll a new PC. So just bear that in mind. Check out the extended subguilds, all of which are in reach for a new player with 0 karma, because they're all 2 or 3 points, and you get 3 points available on your special app quota. The limits are 1 per month, no more than 3 per year, and they can say no. If you want to do that, like Saellyn was saying, you actually choose 'Extended subguild app' rather than 'Special application' in the dropdown.
> who
Immortals
---------

Pretty cool. Thanks for the clarity.

I'll make it my goal to get 10 days played (240 hours) on a single character before I die and THEN I'll special app.

I think in light of the new magick subguilds, this thread is in need of revival.

Quote from: BadSkeelz on March 23, 2016, 09:25:41 PM
I think I'll give one a go on my next PC just to see.

Name: Dayman
Race Human
Guild: Warrior
Subguild: Krathi-touched
Objective: Fight the Nightman, master karate, friendship

Quote from: WarriorPoet on March 24, 2016, 10:32:00 AM
I would sign up to play Nightman but DROV IS GOOONE! WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

I guess I will just play Crickett.

The Nightman would probably be a Psion/Rogue or other burglarish combination. Possibly just Burglar/thug so he could come inside and embrace/subdue you with a passionate shout.

Bogre
Race: Human
Guild: Merchant
Subguild: Krath-touched

March 24, 2016, 03:59:45 PM #36 Last Edit: March 24, 2016, 04:04:06 PM by Bogre
Deadpool: Nilazi / mercenary

Previous:
Batman - Warrior / slipknife
Riddick - Drovian / thug
Hulk: Mul rukkian / aggressor
Captain America: Warrior/protector
Ironman: Warrior/Armorcrafter
Hawkeye: Ranger/archer (he took it for boosted started archery)
Nightcrawler: Whiran/acrobat
Spiderman: Burglar/acrobat
Venom: Drovian/acrobat
Flash: D-elf Elkran
Gambit: Burglar/con artist

edit:

.......I SEE WHAT YOU DID THERE
I tripped and Fale down my stairs. Drink milk and you'll grow Uaptal. I know this guy from the state of Tenneshi. This house will go up Borsail tomorrow. I gave my book to him Nenyuk it back again. I hired this guy golfing to Kadius around for a while.

Also, I'd be a physician / krath touched

none of my other skills are branched

I tripped and Fale down my stairs. Drink milk and you'll grow Uaptal. I know this guy from the state of Tenneshi. This house will go up Borsail tomorrow. I gave my book to him Nenyuk it back again. I hired this guy golfing to Kadius around for a while.

Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."