A Question

Started by Professional, December 23, 2015, 10:35:22 PM

Kick is fine to use against sparring bags. I just loaded up Red Storm East's worst nightmare and let it kick a dummy for 10~ minutes. Backstab, sap, throw, and archery are the skills that should be avoided on dummies, and the latter two can be practiced on archery dummies.

Quote from: Akariel on December 25, 2015, 03:40:11 AM
Kick is fine to use against sparring bags. I just loaded up Red Storm East's worst nightmare and let it kick a dummy for 10~ minutes. Backstab, sap, throw, and archery are the skills that should be avoided on dummies, and the latter two can be practiced on archery dummies.
What happens if you sap or backstab a dummy?

Can't copy and paste from my phone, but it sends a message to staff saying X player is doing Y, then stops the player from doing it.

December 25, 2015, 06:41:56 AM #28 Last Edit: December 25, 2015, 06:44:28 AM by Inks
Also using weapons on a merchant will improve your pc in combat although not as fast or noticeably as having the skill. Jihelu is incorrect.

Thanks for confirming about the kick Ak.

Quote from: Inks on December 25, 2015, 06:41:56 AM
Also using weapons on a merchant will improve your pc in combat although not as fast or noticeably as having the skill. Jihelu is incorrect.

You can also practice kick, backstab, throw and archery skills on a merchant, especially if it's a PC merchant you're attacking.
Quote from: MorgenesYa..what Bushranger said...that's the ticket.

I'm 38% sure that it will only increase your muh sekret offense and defense and even your even more sekret skills im not sure I can talk about or maybe I'm just full of shit but for actually coded skills like "Hey I'm master at piercing" it shouldn't do shit.

Quote from: Bushranger on December 25, 2015, 08:21:26 AM

You can also practice kick, backstab, throw and archery skills on a merchant, especially if it's a PC merchant you're attacking.

I liked the double meaning. This too!

So in the end, sparring with another PC is leagues more effective than sparring with a dummy? And that after novice level, sparring with a dummy is near pointless?

So how long does it usually take to move a skill from novice level to apprentice (I am assuming that is the level above novice). I just want to know that its not going to take an unbelievably long period of time for me to hold some sway in the tough world of Arm.

Also are new players limited to the very basic character creation or is it possible for a new player to have a special application for a character to be accepted? 

You can special app as a newbie. I recommend playing three or four PCs before you spec app for something like an elementalist, though.

It depends entirel yon the skill. Some take longer. Some don't.

Quote from: Professional on December 26, 2015, 05:01:51 AM
So how long does it usually take to move a skill from novice level to apprentice (I am assuming that is the level above novice). I just want to know that its not going to take an unbelievably long period of time for me to hold some sway in the tough world of Arm.

Also are new players limited to the very basic character creation or is it possible for a new player to have a special application for a character to be accepted? 

The actual mechanics of the code are intentionally obscured to players. There are also a LOT of variables that determine when you get your skill bump, even if the formula itself is the same from one character to the next. Examples of things to consider:
1. How often do you fail in a single session of trying?
2. Is it a combat, craft, magick, or auxilliary skill?
3. What's your character's location when working on the skill in question? (a crafting hall in a clan compound will be most likely to give you some kind of benefit that crafting in the middle of Stonecarver's Road won't give you)
4. Are there any impedements for your character? Is he standing/laying in bed drunk/sober spiced up/sober at a significant bloodloss/healthy poisoned/healthy wearing armor/wearing sandcloth armed/unarmed buffed with magicks/not buffed etc. etc. Depending on which skill you're trying to improve upon, any of these variables can impede or boost your success rate.

That being said, what Saellyn said: that some skills take longer and some don't, applies. Basically, you'll be -capable- of all your starting skills from the get-go. Some of them will start at apprentice, so they already come with a "skill bump" built right into the class. Most start at "novice" and the psionic skill "contact" now starts at "master.

How long it takes from novice to bump to apprentice depends on the skill and how it's used. Certain skills are intended to take awhile (weeks) to get better for the "average" player with average play-times (a couple hours a day that gets divided into use of skills and doing non-skilled RP stuff). Other skills might show an improvement in just a few days. All of them seem to have a plateau, where you think it just won't go anywhere, and then, when you're the most frustrated - boom - you get the bump.

Sure you could have a special app, but if you don't know the game world very well, it's kind of pointless. Two reasons:

1. whatever specialty you're trying to include is more likely to be rejected - it's harder to intentionally diverge from the norm in a way that makes your character believable to others, if you don't know what the norm is.
2. characters of newer players are typically shorter-lived than characters of players who've been around awhile. It'd be a shame to waste a special app on a character that ends up dead in a few hours because the rest of the game world reacted to your special character's specialness.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Quote from: Professional on December 26, 2015, 05:01:51 AM

Also some skills are stuck at novice (such as analyze), weapon skills are much tougher to advance than other skills (even apprentice level in a weapon skill means you're highly skilled), some skills have guild-dependent maximums, and it's much more effective to train some stealth skills with a group than by yourself.

The real secret to skilling up, especially when you're new, is to not die.  Watch out for falls, and solicit advice before you set out in any unfamiliar direction.  It can also be tempting to try to hunt increasingly dangerous prey in search of greater challenge for your character, but nothing will kill you faster.  Practice escaping instead of killing.
The neat, clean-shaven man sends you a telepathic message:
     "I tried hairy...Im sorry"

December 26, 2015, 01:05:06 PM #38 Last Edit: December 26, 2015, 01:06:58 PM by Delirium
Quote from: CodeMaster on December 26, 2015, 12:37:34 PMeven apprentice level in a weapon skill means you're highly skilled

More helpfully, weapon skills are tough to raise correctly (and I hope that gets looked at) but apprentice weapon skill is definitely not "highly skilled" heh.

All you really need to know for the basics of skilling up is right there in the helpfiles - skills improve upon failures. Get a few failures per training session. Then go kick your heels up and enjoy interacting or doing whatever else you'd like to do. It's very easy to work into believable daily roleplay without getting silly.

Weapon skills aren't just tough to raise correctly, they're slow to raise in general. However... If you want your character to be competent, you only need survive for a while. Hardly anyone gets above journeyman in weapon skills before they die or store. So even though weapon skills are hard to increase, it doesn't really matter, for 80% of the playerbase.

There's a small subset of veterans though, who know how to survive and do well, and game the code to get everything beneficial. They have been alive for real-life years, you will never be stronger than them as a mundane. You might as well just wait for them to die as well.

Or you could just play a mage, and obliterate those long-lived characters who took real-life years to branch an advanced weapon skill. And you could do it in the blink of an eye after 10 days played.

Quote from: Delirium on December 26, 2015, 01:05:06 PM
Quote from: CodeMaster on December 26, 2015, 12:37:34 PMeven apprentice level in a weapon skill means you're highly skilled

More helpfully, weapon skills are tough to raise correctly (and I hope that gets looked at) but apprentice weapon skill is definitely not "highly skilled" heh.

At the high end of apprentice you'll stop missing most creatures. I wouldn't call someone out for claiming to be pretty competent with a high-end apprentice weapon skill. If they're a hunter, they've got what they need.

Ooooookay, we're getting into territory we need to stay out of guys. Let's not discuss what weapon skill is "adequate" (but it's called apprentice for a reason).

Thanks for all of the answers, everyone. I really appreciate it.

Now, another question :)

How often do story tellers interact with the players of Arm? There is one instance that I have actually noticed a storyteller in the room with me, but surely they are there more often than that right? Or is it a rare thing to actually have one deepening the immersion?

Quote from: Professional on December 27, 2015, 08:46:07 PM

How often do story tellers interact with the players of Arm? There is one instance that I have actually noticed a storyteller in the room with me, but surely they are there more often than that right? Or is it a rare thing to actually have one deepening the immersion?

If you're talking about SandyClaws the Githmas Mantis, then it's a once-a-year occasion. Another occasion, though I think they missed this year, was the Thanksgiving turkey that came a'gobble-gobblin around the game-world.

This is generally the only time you will ever see a storyteller animate something that doesn't belong in the gameworld. You shouldn't ever see a storyteller as themselves. In other words - you won't (or shouldn't) ever see Adhira show up in the Gaj, or Nessalin pass you under the Span.

You might see an animated gith, or an animated bartender, or you might run into some random tall handsome muscular man that shows up with some kind of plot-starting news. But all of those are "normal" things to see in the game. You wouldn't treat them like storytellers, you'd treat them like gith, bartenders, and tall handsome muscular men.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

That's what I was speaking of. There has only been once instance when I knew it wasn't a regular PC, but a storyteller animating another character.

December 27, 2015, 09:48:30 PM #45 Last Edit: December 27, 2015, 09:50:31 PM by Jave
In general, each Storyteller is assigned to a couple of clans to oversee. For example, I'm in charge of the T'zai Byn, and the Sun Runners.

Whenever I'm online I monitor those two clans (meaning I see every thought/say/tell/emote/etc done by any character in those clans). Once I'm finished manually ignoring the people having mudsex I keep an eye out for opportunities to jump in and animate for the people who are out doing stuff.

Sometimes that animation takes the form of a pack of raptors to breathe life into how pack hunters behave.
Sometimes that animation takes the form of a sandstorm to breathe life into how harsh the weather conditions actually are.
Sometimes that animation takes the form of a bartender having a bit of banter back and forth with the clientele.
Sometimes that animation takes the form of a medic babbling on about his life story while patching up a Runner after a job.

But if you are playing an Indy character who is not affiliated with any clans and you don't communicate with us thru character reports to let us know that you're up to something, it's easy for you to slip through the cracks. If you'd like more Storyteller attention and your character has something they want to try and do that requires staff support, the best way to make sure you get it is by giving us character reports about your activity and letting us know what you're up to and what you'd like from us.

I've worked with communicative Indy characters in the past to push stories forward, so I'm always game to help.

Quote from: Lizzie on December 27, 2015, 08:56:19 PM
Quote from: Professional on December 27, 2015, 08:46:07 PM

If you're talking about SandyClaws the Githmas Mantis, then it's a once-a-year occasion. Another occasion, though I think they missed this year, was the Thanksgiving turkey that came a'gobble-gobblin around the game-world.

I -knew- that was a thing! I even loaded up the turkey - But no one else remembered and they told me not to bring it around for some delicious treats. :c

December 27, 2015, 11:22:57 PM #47 Last Edit: December 28, 2015, 12:31:06 AM by Jave
Quote from: Jave on December 27, 2015, 09:48:30 PM
In general, each Storyteller is assigned to a couple of clans to oversee. For example, I'm in charge of the T'zai Byn, and the Sun Runners.

Whenever I'm online I monitor those two clans (meaning I see every thought/say/tell/emote/etc done by any character in those clans). Once I'm finished manually ignoring the people having mudsex I keep an eye out for opportunities to jump in and animate for the people who are out doing stuff.

Sometimes that animation takes the form of a pack of raptors to breathe life into how pack hunters behave.
Sometimes that animation takes the form of a sandstorm to breathe life into how harsh the weather conditions actually are.
Sometimes that animation takes the form of a bartender having a bit of banter back and forth with the clientele.
Sometimes that animation takes the form of a medic babbling on about his life story while patching up a Runner after a job.

But if you are playing an Indy character who is not affiliated with any clans and you don't communicate with us thru character reports to let us know that you're up to something, it's easy for you to slip through the cracks. If you'd like more Storyteller attention and your character has something they want to try and do that requires staff support, the best way to make sure you get it is by giving us character reports about your activity and letting us know what you're up to and what you'd like from us.

I've worked with communicative Indy characters in the past to push stories forward, so I'm always game to help.

Okay. Guess I'll just need to pay more attention for you guys :) Thanks for the answer.

EDIT by Jave: Just fixed your quote for you  ;)