Food Aging -- Discussion Thread

Started by nessalin, December 14, 2015, 07:56:02 AM

Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

I'm concerned nobody has asked the glaring "bag of ____" question. Or, because they're in a bag, maybe they don't spoil?
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Quote from: BadSkeelz on December 14, 2015, 07:17:46 PM
Huh. About wine...

Does this apply to consumable liquids as well?

Drink items are not affected by age.
"Unless you have a suitcase and a ticket and a passport,
The cargo that they're carrying is you"

Quote from: Riev on December 14, 2015, 09:38:33 PM
I'm concerned nobody has asked the glaring "bag of ____" question. Or, because they're in a bag, maybe they don't spoil?

Items in containers are affected by age.

Quote from: lostinspace on December 14, 2015, 04:46:42 PM
Also now I really want to make a character that can master-craft Pemmican.

Eaten a lot of pemmican in my time.  Shit do last. Also makes you start wondering what boiled bark tastes like, in comparison.

December 14, 2015, 10:03:12 PM #105 Last Edit: December 14, 2015, 10:07:09 PM by nessalin
Quote from: nauta on December 14, 2015, 05:37:26 PM
A simple example: I ran a bakery last year and made rat meat pies, which only required two things: rat meat and flour.  But it was hard to get both of those together -- either I had a flour shipment come in without the meat or the meat shipment without the flour.

Without commenting on your concerns and how (if) they'll be specifically addressed, the scenario you've laid out is something I would actually like to see.

Being able to line up all the fresh ingredients required to make something like a cake should be, in and of itself, cause for celebration.

Think of war-rationing when saving up ration cards AND finding what you wanted available was enough reason to throw a party.

People will actually want mastercrafted food now! I'm very happy about that. Also rangers apparently get better with every third change to the game.

I just had another thought - what about food that spawns in the game, such as fruits in bushes (as opposed to "pickable" fruit) and eggs in nests?

Quote from: Delirium on December 14, 2015, 10:27:26 PM
I just had another thought - what about food that spawns in the game, such as fruits in bushes (as opposed to "pickable" fruit) and eggs in nests?

I believe this may have been asked earlier in the thread but yes, those fruits will be subject to aging.  I think of it like apples on a tree.  When you can 'get apple tree' it means it's ripe and ready to be eaten but if you leave it on the tree for too long if falls off and rots.  Similar thing here I suppose.  There are procedures in place to spawn the fruit and now there will be procedures in place to rot the fruit too. Hope that helps!

I think it got overlooked when I hinted at it on the last page, so I'll mention it again:

Leaves and plants that are edible, but aren't typically food (like bimbal leaves)?  Are they subject to this?
The paste you craft from a food item but don't typically eat, instead it's used for leather working?  Subject to spoilage?

haha, imagine if we were still using baby items and they were still coded as food

This seems like a cool, reasonable change.

I also think it's going to be mild- to really-annoying for independents, unless the cost of food is brought down.  Maybe not that bad in practice, though.

Quote from: bardlyone on December 14, 2015, 06:37:24 PM
idea: make the massive sack of flour a nonfood item so it will keep indefinitely. only when it's opened to portion into smaller bags, would it spoil. given the prevalence of the big bags vs small ones for purchase in the currently open game areas, that might be helpful?

Yes, please fix flour. Flour going bad means it's impossible even to go bake people treats when you feel like it, unless you happen to live in an area where flour is readily available.

My only other concern is that this makes any sort of rare dishes made or rare meats collected much harder to deal with. I think someone else mentioned this could be an issue for event planning. Maybe food storage/preservation will help this along.

As of February 2017, I no longer play Armageddon.

The lightly-spoiled blue-eyed, blond-haired infant is here.
There is no general doctrine which is not capable of eating out our morality if unchecked by the deep-seated habit of direct fellow-feeling with individual fellow-men. -George Eliot

Quote from: Tisiphone on December 15, 2015, 12:13:49 AM
The lightly-spoiled blue-eyed, blond-haired infant is here.

A small crowd of people is here, silently judging the lightly-spoiled, blue-eyed, blond-haired infant's parents.

Thanks a lot finals week.  You killed my foodstores after one day!
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

So.  If food is supposed to spoil over a period of 36 RL hours, and it goes from fine, to lightly-spoiled, to heavily-spoiled....I don't think all the food I had that was lightly spoiled an hour ago should be gone now.

If the code went live around 6 or 7 server time, Monday morning, then 36 hours should be Tuesday afternoon.  *grumbles*

Can confirm -- all those precious treats, I couldn't eat them fast enough.  I set out puke poison, and my pile of candies.  They evaporated into dust.
as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

Quote from: nauta on December 15, 2015, 01:47:07 AM
Can confirm -- all those precious treats, I couldn't eat them fast enough.  I set out puke poison, and my pile of candies.  They evaporated into dust.

*sigh* All the precious treats.  All the goodness I was in the middle of gorging on and making into more deliciousness.  All the sadness.
(All dramatic joking aside, it is sort of a bummer.)

Quote from: nauta on December 15, 2015, 01:47:07 AM

Hahahha, this got a serious giggle out of me.

Quote from: nessalin on December 14, 2015, 09:45:29 PM
Quote from: BadSkeelz on December 14, 2015, 07:17:46 PM
Huh. About wine...

Does this apply to consumable liquids as well?

Drink items are not affected by age.

Shouldn't wine get better with age? Nessalin can you reverse the polarity on the code for consumable liquids? :)
Quote from: MorgenesYa..what Bushranger said...that's the ticket.

Bravo and thanks. Great addition!
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. -MT

I'm guessing travel cakes and rations will be made to last longer in the future, right?

It is nice not to be able to store a full large bag of food anymore for realism reasons. A clan maybe, but I used to do this for one or two people for several months at a time.

Quote from: manipura on December 15, 2015, 01:25:10 AM
So.  If food is supposed to spoil over a period of 36 RL hours, and it goes from fine, to lightly-spoiled, to heavily-spoiled....I don't think all the food I had that was lightly spoiled an hour ago should be gone now.

If the code went live around 6 or 7 server time, Monday morning, then 36 hours should be Tuesday afternoon.  *grumbles*

Yep, this was unintentional.  We're patching, currently.

For those that lost special items they were looking to have some fun with, feel free to file a reimbursement request.

They are updating the food aging code as we speak. That was fast! I'm betting they're making the dried stuff last longer.