The gone command and the Way

Started by nauta, December 08, 2015, 10:51:42 AM

Hi,

Does your gone message get delivered to people that attempt to way you while you are gone?

The help file suggests it does.  From help gone:
When a message is attached to this command, all incoming communication requests will be replied to with that message.

But I swear I've never received a gone message when waying people.  Perhaps I've just never wayed someone who is gone...  I've always done a quick: psi ooc: gone afk dogs.  (I've seen it work with 'whisper'.)

as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

I just type 'gone <message>'.

When I see people waying me while I'm gone, I respond with 'Sorry, I was krathstruck/busy/distracted/kanking/taking a dump/etc.' It seems to do the trick without breaking immersion.

Maybe it's just me, but I feel a bit iffy when an IG command such as whisper or whatever being used for afkness, or oocness. Though I'm totally fine when certain situation calls for ooc over the Way.
I ruin immershunz.

Yeah I would recommend against oocing in psis and whispers. If you psi you were krathstruck people will understand and is far less jarring. That being said you are better to log out and back in when you return than afk in the Gaj for 15 mins. It can be extremely frustrating to have a heap of afkers in a public place.

The gone message sends one immediate echo to the room and then acts like the person is linkdead. Perhaps that line in the helpfile should be removed.

Honestly, the Gone message was only useful during the times of who -c, because it would append a <g> flag when someone was gone.

I do not believe I have ever seen it work as suggested in the helpfile.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

December 08, 2015, 10:21:55 PM #5 Last Edit: December 08, 2015, 10:29:49 PM by nauta
Interesting.  Thanks.  It does look like the help file needs updating.

By the way, if you are gone and someone whispers to you, they will receive a message like: not while they are gone!  (Or something.)

Thanks again.
as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

I submitted a modification to that help file to more accurately reflect what the command does. Just pending admin review/approval.

I do think if you try to chat someone up and they are "gone" it tells the person trying to chat you up directly that the person is "gone".

Last I knew, gone responses affect "tell" and "ask" -- I have no idea if those commands are even still in the game.

It used to be a big hoot in Steinal. <<The twitchy man is gone studying.>>
"I have seen him show most of the attributes one expects of a noble: courtesy, kindness, and honor.  I would also say he is one of the most bloodthirsty bastards I have ever met."