City elves

Started by Echo Down, November 11, 2015, 05:56:26 PM

All side issues aside, is a city elf allowed to leave the city to "hunt" (forage collect things etc) or is it bad RP?

Absolutely, if the PC is particularly motivated.

It would depend on the c-elf and the clan they are in, or the type of role you are playing.  I am pretty sure there are some clans that hire c-elves. I don't think it is something that is everyday c-elf behavior, yet it is not something that is categorically bad role play.  I think it was Moe who said in a recent post, that if your PC is odd in one way, make sure they are in conformity with the norm in 9 other ways.
At your table, the XXXXXXXX templar says in sirihish, echoing:
     "Everyone is SAFE in His Walls."

I can't imagine why they wouldn't.  There's nothing in the documentation that states elves can't go outside, just that they can't ride anything.  For a lot of them, it may be a reliable way to get food.  Do what your character would do!
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

I think what it is is that they culturally can't choose ranger as their main guild, but otherwise Nyr told me that elves can totally greb, that there's nothing in their documentation that says they can't.

There are also plenty of elves in clans that do a lot of their activities outdoors. Its not considered bad RP, by any means, but just remember that elves tend to be very insular. Their "cousins" prefer the wild outdoors but city elves prefer the closeness of inside. As stated, there's a reason they cannot pick ranger, partially because they would prefer to be within the familiarity of walls. Doesn't mean there aren't plenty of roundears to fleece outside.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

I never thought much about it.  I don't know how long city elves haven't been able to be rangers, but the skillset seems substantial and valuable even inside a city.

I seem to remember being able to pick from among all the subguilds when I made an elf, including scavenger, hunter, rebel, and even mercenary and nomad (which come with bonuses to ride... so that's weird).  I chose "guard" and was too weak to hold a shield. :)

I guess I always viewed city elves as "gimp elves", a less powerful, 0 karma alternative to desert elves with fewer constraints on the role (but with some nice racial bonuses like their natural affinity for theft).  More like humanoid rats who mostly live hand to mouth.
The neat, clean-shaven man sends you a telepathic message:
     "I tried hairy...Im sorry"

Quote from: The Silence of the Erdlus on November 11, 2015, 07:04:08 PM
Nyr told me that elves can totally greb, that there's nothing in their documentation that says they can't.

This clears my concerns about leaving the gates with elves to go grebbing. I had played it as being unthinkable and only went when absolutely necessary. It rarely comes down to that though besides during rare occasions from clan assignments or major events such as Tuluk closing.

What are your thoughts about using mounts for easing the transportation of goods? So if you were trading in your clan or as an independent between cities,  and instead of having to carry all the supplies by yourself, which is likely impossible with an elf, you would do this with mounts carrying the weight for you. Is this acceptable? Would you be playing well outside the norms?

I'm still as uncertain about doing it now as when I first saw it done. I assume it would not be good making a habit of taking a mount outside for short trips, but for the ones you know you are not going to be able to carry the weight yourself. This is for obviously hitching and leading the mount, not riding it.

Quote from: CodeMaster on November 11, 2015, 09:50:45 PM
scavenger, hunter, rebel, and even mercenary and nomad (which come with bonuses to ride... so that's weird)

If you are leading mounts this skill is useful.

From "Desert Elf Roleplay" on the website:

"This aversion to beasts of burden does not extend to pack animals. Most elves have always, and always will rely upon all manner of beasts to carry things around. Similarly, there is no aversion to using beasts as a source of food, as work animals, or in just about any other function other than riding."

I imagine if Desert elves are cool with it, city elves would at least tolerate it.

Quote from: Narf on November 12, 2015, 12:02:20 AM
From "Desert Elf Roleplay" on the website:

"This aversion to beasts of burden does not extend to pack animals. Most elves have always, and always will rely upon all manner of beasts to carry things around. Similarly, there is no aversion to using beasts as a source of food, as work animals, or in just about any other function other than riding."

I imagine if Desert elves are cool with it, city elves would at least tolerate it.

Thanks for pulling that one out.  I haven't thought to look up the desert elf docs before and there is good stuff in there.

Quote from: ShowClear on November 11, 2015, 11:58:35 PM
What are your thoughts about using mounts for easing the transportation of goods?

From City Elf Roleplay:

QuoteThis aversion to beasts of burden does not extend to pack animals. Most elves have always, and always will rely upon all manner of beasts to carry things around. Similarly, there is no aversion to using beasts as a source of food, as work animals, or in just about any other function other than riding

http://armageddon.org/help/view/City%20Elf%20Roleplay
Quote from: BadSkeelz
Ah well you should just kill those PCs. They're not worth the time of plotting creatively against.

It seems like the Jaxa are closed.

Is there a coded city elf tribe?

Quote from: Echo Down on November 12, 2015, 02:24:35 AM

There are none at the moment, but one of the staff members mentioned there's an ongoing project to create one.

Quote from: Narf on November 12, 2015, 02:28:52 AM

There are none at the moment, but one of the staff members mentioned there's an ongoing project to create one.

The Patuk-Sjir. They were originally denizens of the oudezijds voorburgwal in Amsterdam. They moved to Zalanthas when the brown cafes were closed.
At your table, the XXXXXXXX templar says in sirihish, echoing:
     "Everyone is SAFE in His Walls."

Quote from: Norcal on November 12, 2015, 12:08:15 PM
Quote from: Narf on November 12, 2015, 02:28:52 AM

The Patuk-Sjir. They were originally denizens of the oudezijds voorburgwal in Amsterdam. They moved to Zalanthas when the brown cafes were closed.
LOL I'd rather say Katendrecht, c-elves of Rotterdam and Amsterdam have had a feud for centuries now.
Sometimes, severity is the price we pay for greatness

:-*
You take the last bite of your scooby snack.
This tastes like ordinary meat.
There is nothing left now.

Just play how you feel. Your elf WILL not like being outside, but that's how it goes. Just be sure to RP your discomfort, whether obvious, or internal like thinks and feels.

Quote from: 555 on November 17, 2015, 12:55:09 PM
Just play how you feel. Your elf WILL not like being outside, but that's how it goes. Just be sure to RP your discomfort, whether obvious, or internal like thinks and feels.

Unless your Elf has historically done that quite often before he was made.
Quote from: boog
I'm still trying to figure out how all that led to Symphony, naked, squatting in a towel on a busy highway to talk to a therapist

Providing for your tribe is larger than your fear of sand.