Climb changes -- Discussion Thread

Started by nessalin, October 26, 2015, 08:40:13 AM

Because this is with all climb checks, what about if a delf ranger is shadowing someone who tries to go up a cliff? Or an elf assassin in the city and someone starts climbing up a wall?

I mean, it DOES make sense to have to go one at a time, but ... You know. Elves, man.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Quote from: Nyr on October 26, 2015, 08:49:10 AM
Noice.  I've been wanting that "fuck the leader" follow code for a while now.

Everyone on the Tuluk side who followed Atum from Iskandir to Tyn Dashra were quite happy there were no cliffs to fall off on the way.

Also, nice changes!

Quote from: Ath on October 26, 2015, 11:24:33 AM
Quote from: LauraMars on October 26, 2015, 11:19:38 AM
I dunno, I think literally jumping off a cliff to get away from pursuit seems pretty realistic to me.

That's a good point, I could see that.  Once again, with a lot of those cases, it is going to be a case by case basis. 

Is a "falling room" the same as a climb room?  I think they are different.

Byn might still need to watch their step.
The neat, clean-shaven man sends you a telepathic message:
     "I tried hairy...Im sorry"

Quote from: CodeMaster on October 26, 2015, 12:27:48 PMIs a "falling room" the same as a climb room?  I think they are different.

Quote from: nessalin on October 26, 2015, 10:11:55 AM
Quote from: Lizzie on October 26, 2015, 10:08:10 AM
Also, does this only apply to auto-fall rooms, or any rooms with a climbable drop (no matter how difficult the climb)?

All fall rooms, climbable or not.
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

Quote from: LauraMars on October 26, 2015, 12:28:22 PM
Quote from: CodeMaster on October 26, 2015, 12:27:48 PMIs a "falling room" the same as a climb room?  I think they are different.

Quote from: nessalin on October 26, 2015, 10:11:55 AM
Quote from: Lizzie on October 26, 2015, 10:08:10 AM
Also, does this only apply to auto-fall rooms, or any rooms with a climbable drop (no matter how difficult the climb)?

All fall rooms, climbable or not.

Thanks. :S

Climbing to escape followers is abuse of code? Yo hold on

Quote from: MeTekillot on October 26, 2015, 01:25:44 PM
Climbing to escape followers is abuse of code? Yo hold on

I think they had a different scenario in mind.  There's no way climb checks are code abuse when used to deter shadowing people.  That would just be...ridiculous, and make it so that your actual line of thinking on being shadowed would have to be 'Oh shit, someone's following me, I can't climb anywhere.'

They were thinking of something else.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

QuoteAnd these would be circumstances of abuse of code.  I would "hope" that our players wouldn't do something like that.

This is the second time I've seen a staffer make an outright assertion that this is abuse in all cases.  And neither of those instances are abuse of code, and now that I examine them, I can't even find the circumstances where they -would- be abuse.  This is how you're making the world work.  People knowing how the world works is not abuse.  Otherwise you may as well start accusing Leonidas of 'abusing physics' because he knew only a certain amount of people could get into a narrow opening, or all those parkour villains of 'abusing fear' because they can go where someone chasing them cannot.

Quote from: MeTekillot on October 26, 2015, 02:33:56 PM
Cheesing unhitch?

I prefer flee self, myself.  It rewards people for using watch.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

Quote from: Armaddict on October 26, 2015, 04:15:05 PM
This is the second time I've seen a staffer make an outright assertion that this is abuse in all cases.  And neither of those instances are abuse of code, and now that I examine them, I can't even find the circumstances where they -would- be abuse. 

You saw two posts further down... this, right?

Quote from: Ath on October 26, 2015, 11:24:33 AM
That's a good point, I could see that.  Once again, with a lot of those cases, it is going to be a case by case basis. 

They're (mostly) human.  Sometimes they hop to wrong conclusions.
Quote from: BadSkeelz
Ah well you should just kill those PCs. They're not worth the time of plotting creatively against.

Quote from: Armaddict on October 26, 2015, 04:15:05 PM
QuoteAnd these would be circumstances of abuse of code.  I would "hope" that our players wouldn't do something like that.

This is the second time I've seen a staffer make an outright assertion that this is abuse in all cases.  And neither of those instances are abuse of code, and now that I examine them, I can't even find the circumstances where they -would- be abuse.  This is how you're making the world work.  People knowing how the world works is not abuse.  Otherwise you may as well start accusing Leonidas of 'abusing physics' because he knew only a certain amount of people could get into a narrow opening, or all those parkour villains of 'abusing fear' because they can go where someone chasing them cannot.

Quote from: MeTekillot on October 26, 2015, 02:33:56 PM
Cheesing unhitch?

I prefer flee self, myself.  It rewards people for using watch.

Just because I missed your context, which was vague in it's own right, you didn't take the second post into the consideration for your response.  What I meant in this is, if people are purposefully utilizing the new code in ways in which it is not intended, that is abused and against the rules.  Now if you are playing a character that is getting chased and you jump off the Shield Wall to get away, well... more power too you, I hope your neck snaps wonderfully when you hit the ground.  But taking utilizing it to clear yourself from being followed, or whatever, what it isn't attended for, that's what I mean.

I try to be the nice guy here, please don't take my words out of context.  Just like whitt quoted in my second post, everything is handled on a case by case basis.  Just use your judgement here, we all want to play the game and have fun.
Ourla:  You're like the oil paint on the canvas of evil.

I have been hunted in real life, and chased by bad guys, more than once. I can tell you that I use many tricks on a regular basis to minimize my  being caught. So in the context of Zalanthas, if someone knows or suspects that they are being followed, or is just super cautious..using a climb to break  a tail just seems like a smart thing to do.

So I like the change just for this.

I will however miss the quarterly ballet of the Byn. For this reason I think the Byn should be exempt from this new code change, and possibly Templars as well.
At your table, the XXXXXXXX templar says in sirihish, echoing:
     "Everyone is SAFE in His Walls."

Awesome changes. I have much respect for the amount of good changes to code the last couple of months. Good job.

Is the "check" when shooting a missile or being involved in combat (as initiator or target) a check against climb skill level (with appropriate modifiers) to see if you stay in place?

Or is it only a check to see if you are in a climb room when those type of things happen, and if you are, you auto-tumble?

Sitting in your comfort,
You don't believe I'm real,
But you cannot buy protection
from the way that I feel.

Quote from: Seeker on October 27, 2015, 12:02:51 PM
Is the "check" when shooting a missile or being involved in combat (as initiator or target) a check against climb skill level (with appropriate modifiers) to see if you stay in place?

Or is it only a check to see if you are in a climb room when those type of things happen, and if you are, you auto-tumble?

This is probably still true

Quote from: Nyr on October 13, 2015, 09:49:21 AM
To clarify, this:

Quote-Throwing now checks to see if your character should fall.
-Shooting now checks to see if your character should fall.

means this:

Quote-Throwing in/from a room you are climbing in means that you will fall.
-Shooting in/from a room you are climbing in means that you will fall.

Before, the game wasn't running any checks at all--now it is, albeit a harsh check.

We have some more bugs with falling/climbing to iron out before expanding functionality.
Quote from: BadSkeelz
Ah well you should just kill those PCs. They're not worth the time of plotting creatively against.

Love the new changes to climb with the messages about tools being used. And also the not following after people into climb rooms. The T'zai Byn falling over the shield wall jokes will be missed.
"It's too hot in the hottub!"

-James Brown

https://youtu.be/ZCOSPtyZAPA

I wish we could drop objects over the edge, eg off buildings, down wells.

Quote from: solera on October 28, 2015, 07:21:05 AM

With rangers you can shoot arrows into the adjacent room using shoot east near or something similar.  Unfortunately watch doesn't pick up the messages of the item falling.

Quote from: CodeMaster on October 28, 2015, 01:31:37 PM

With rangers you can shoot arrows into the adjacent room using shoot east near or something similar.  Unfortunately watch doesn't pick up the messages of the item falling.

I mean , drop things. My rinther tried to drop some gear down a hole once. I ended up arranging it as being snagged on a brick.

Quote from: solera on October 29, 2015, 06:25:17 AM
Quote from: CodeMaster on October 28, 2015, 01:31:37 PM

I mean , drop things. My rinther tried to drop some gear down a hole once. I ended up arranging it as being snagged on a brick.
It might be clumsy, but maybe you can hold then throw the object? i dont know of throw prevents you from throwing just anything.

I've tried to throw a rope down to a buddy who was failing climb checks (no fall room, one room in between the one I was in and the ground where the buddy was).  Tried holding and throwing, no dice, and 'drop' obviously didn't work either.  Be a nice addition.  Saves me climbing all the way down, handing over the rope, and climbing back up when supposedly I've tied it off at the top and was rapunzel-ing it down!  Rather ruins the point of rapunzel-ing if I have to go hand the other end over...makes it all a little 'special' :D
Previous of note: Kaevya the blind Tor Scorpion, Kaloraynai 'Raynai' the beetle Ruk, Korenyire of SLK, Koal 'Kick' the hooved Whiran, Kocadici/Dici/Glimmer, Koefaxine the giant Oashi 'Aide', Kosmia 'Grit' the rinthi
Current: Like I'd tell you.

It now seems impossible to "lead" a hitched mount up any climb-check room.  Even if the beast has climbing.   :-\
Sitting in your comfort,
You don't believe I'm real,
But you cannot buy protection
from the way that I feel.

Quote from: Seeker on November 11, 2015, 04:30:30 PM
It now seems impossible to "lead" a hitched mount up any climb-check room.  Even if the beast has climbing.   :-\

Yeah. I've bugged this.

New MMH focus: Breed enough beetles to fill all the holes in the Known. Charge people to traverse the BeetleBridge.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.