Climb changes -- Discussion Thread

Started by nessalin, October 26, 2015, 08:40:13 AM

Release Notes for 10/26/2015

Please stay on topic.
"Unless you have a suitcase and a ticket and a passport,
The cargo that they're carrying is you"

Noice.  I've been wanting that "fuck the leader" follow code for a while now.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

Finally.
Quote from: Fathi on March 08, 2018, 06:40:45 PMAnd then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

That auto-stop code is going to save a lot of lives.

I HATE THIS CHANGE.  >:(

jk I love this change.  :-*
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

Yes. This is exactly what I was thinking about when it came to climb. Amazing job, thank you.

Those of you with an excuse ought to try it out and make sure it works and all that.

Next time I have a bynner I'm gonna follow Sarge off the shield wall anyway.  Just for old time's sake.

Now I'm less likely to die due to others' keystroke mishaps!

Good change.

suggestion:  add "no-save climbfollow" for those who -want- to automatically follow their leader in (like if you're a desert elf with max-climb, es/eping climbing tools, wearing climbing boots, climbing gloves, climbing spikes, and a harness, and want to take a chance).

Also, does this only apply to auto-fall rooms, or any rooms with a climbable drop (no matter how difficult the climb)?
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Quote from: Lizzie on October 26, 2015, 10:08:10 AM
Also, does this only apply to auto-fall rooms, or any rooms with a climbable drop (no matter how difficult the climb)?

All fall rooms, climbable or not.
"Unless you have a suitcase and a ticket and a passport,
The cargo that they're carrying is you"

Quote from: nessalin on October 26, 2015, 10:11:55 AM
-Message sent when climbing with both hands full (and neither hand is holding a climb tool).
"Struggling with a jeweled iron dagger and a hooded lantern in your hands, you carefully climb west."

Don't you mean - "Scrambling like a beast with frozen whisky hammers for testicles you climb west while holding a real frozen whisky hammer and a limited edition 1986 Playboy."

If you fail now...that's another story....
Quote from: James de Monet on April 09, 2015, 01:54:57 AM
My phone now autocorrects "damn" to Dman.
Quote from: deathkamon on November 14, 2015, 12:29:56 AM
The young daughter has been filled.

We may actually get Nessalin over 100 posts with all this stuff.  This one has been rather nice to see come in.  So happy!
Ourla:  You're like the oil paint on the canvas of evil.

Oh then we definitely need a "nosave climbfollow" option. I imagine there are actually times when you know you're heading for a climb, and everyone in your group has proven capable, and the inconvenience of not following, and going in one at a time, would be more time consuming than taking everyone in one fell swoop. Not to mention those times when you have one person in the group who had to go AFK for a couple of minutes and is fully capable of making the climb (that happens pretty often in my experience).
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Quote from: Lizzie on October 26, 2015, 10:21:09 AM

Oh then we definitely need a "nosave climbfollow" option. I imagine there are actually times when you know you're heading for a climb, and everyone in your group has proven capable, and the inconvenience of not following, and going in one at a time, would be more time consuming than taking everyone in one fell swoop. Not to mention those times when you have one person in the group who had to go AFK for a couple of minutes and is fully capable of making the climb (that happens pretty often in my experience).

This here is a good idea. It's not often you have a hardcore crew who can climb in groups...but I've had a couple and yes this would have come up.
Quote from: James de Monet on April 09, 2015, 01:54:57 AM
My phone now autocorrects "damn" to Dman.
Quote from: deathkamon on November 14, 2015, 12:29:56 AM
The young daughter has been filled.

Eh it makes sense enough to go up/down a fall room one at a time. There's usually a limited number of routes up/down any given rock face.

Let's not even get started on climbing down a well.

Anything that slows a group down while travelling and makes them consider the environment they're in is a-ok in my book.

You mean I can hide near a cliff face and pick off runner fuckface and friends since they're the last to go into the perilous hole?

And use climb rooms to break a stern chase without cheesing 'unhitch'?

Quote from: MeTekillot on October 26, 2015, 10:28:14 AM
And use climb rooms to break a stern chase without cheesing 'unhitch'?

Quote from: MeTekillot on October 26, 2015, 10:27:44 AM
You mean I can hide near a cliff face and pick off runner fuckface and friends since they're the last to go into the perilous hole?

And these would be circumstances of abuse of code.  I would "hope" that our players wouldn't do something like that.

I dunno, I think literally jumping off a cliff to get away from pursuit seems pretty realistic to me.

Quote from: LauraMars on October 26, 2015, 11:19:38 AM
I dunno, I think literally jumping off a cliff to get away from pursuit seems pretty realistic to me.

That's a good point, I could see that.  Once again, with a lot of those cases, it is going to be a case by case basis.