A reasoned discussion of the current state of Armageddon vis-a-vis Olden Times

Started by Malken, October 13, 2015, 04:13:57 PM

You forgot to angrily slam the flap of the tent on your way out, Iiyola!
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

Quote from: Bushranger on October 14, 2015, 08:12:18 PMStop trying to relieve old glories and enjoy what it is now!

Don't tell me what to do!  You're not even my real dad!  GOD!

Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

School starts, average logins drop for a bit, this happens every year. The games changed with the closure of Tuluk, new staff etc etc so some players leave and some players don't and others come back. I don't like this trend of jaded player mentality. I remember the days of e-mails and bouncing e-mails etc, now we have requests which are more like open dialogue and much easier to manage. I remember when player created clans weren't a thing, now there's a system to get a legit clan rolling with warehouse and npc backing WTF! THAT"S AWESOME! I've even seen the potential of getting a WAGON in the mix. I remember playing for months without an animation, now I'm present for two or three a week. Code changes aplenty, new rooms/buildings/npcs being added. The 'glass ceiling' has been lifted, seems not that many people were interested in breaking through it after all, just bitching about it being there. I played back in 'the golden years' and I played in the 'x-men' days and I joined in on the reign of halaster and his magickal posse of 1337 gear, I was the personal cause of destruction for what was my favorite clan in the game (red fangs). Some players seem to think staff 'slapped me down' on that, what most don't know is that I orchestrated it's rise and fall and nyr (if i remember correctly) threw me a bone at the end and asked me if I wanted to challenge for leadership of the tribe (PRETTY BIG DEAL), unfortunately I made some bad decisions (codedly) prior to the fight for leadership and died what is to this day my favorite death. You can see it in original submissions. From someone who's been through some definite changes in flavor of the game, my personal opinion the management of the game has improved overall, staff interaction has improved immensely, quality of players has improved enormously, griefing has decreased to the point I haven't touched the player/staff complaint button in a looooooooong time. I think my last time was way back when the charge code was broken for like 3 days and some asshat used it to kill my pc with repetitive charges (over the course of 15minutes). The game has improved, am I sad that Tuluk is gone? Yeah. Am I still having fun? Yeah. Honestly more fun in the last two years of play than I've had in the 12 prior. /rant

If you have an issue with a lack of new players in the game during the usual player lows this time of year, go vote. We weren't even on the first page the other day, that's embarassing. Nobody goes to page 2 of 'best muds' to find one they'd like to play, honestly... go vote.
A staff member sends you:
"Normally we don't see a <redacted> walk into a room full of <redacted> and start indiscriminately killing."

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."

Quote from: Case on October 14, 2015, 09:04:53 PM
Everything's better when I'm playing a templar

JK. <3
"Normally we don't see a <redacted> walk into a room full of <redacted> and start indiscriminately killing."

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."

Quote from: Iiyola on October 14, 2015, 08:00:00 PM
Quote from: Eyeball on October 14, 2015, 06:11:20 PM
Quote from: Iiyola on October 14, 2015, 05:19:42 PM
I'm not even sure why I'm still reading this. It's the same stuff all over again with each page. Just play the game, have fun. Or don't and find something else to do.

Probably not the best idea to dismiss people when the player count is getting uncomfortably low.
I think Staff has been quite flexible in the past year, having added all sorts of fun things to the game, and they've been far from dismissing people (on the contrary. They've been very open and got a lot more lenient on the GDB too in the 4 years I've been playing). Just some people can never be satisfied because the game isn't running the way they want it to be.

Discussion? Yes. But your reply is exactly the reason why I'd never apply for staff.

I didn't say anything about staff dismissing people. I said you're dismissing people. Basically you just said "shut the f--- up".

If you interpret it like that, there's not much I can do about that. Besides, who am I anyway?
Sometimes, severity is the price we pay for greatness

Quote from: Eyeball on October 14, 2015, 10:06:48 PM
Quote from: Iiyola on October 14, 2015, 08:00:00 PM
I'm not even sure why I'm still reading this. It's the same stuff all over again with each page. Just play the game, have fun. Or don't and find something else to do.

Probably not the best idea to dismiss people when the player count is getting uncomfortably low.
I think Staff has been quite flexible in the past year, having added all sorts of fun things to the game, and they've been far from dismissing people (on the contrary. They've been very open and got a lot more lenient on the GDB too in the 4 years I've been playing). Just some people can never be satisfied because the game isn't running the way they want it to be.

Discussion? Yes. But your reply is exactly the reason why I'd never apply for staff.

I didn't say anything about staff dismissing people. I said you're dismissing people. Basically you just said "shut the f--- up".

VALIDATE MEEEEEEEEEE
Now you're looking for the secret. But you won't find it because of course, you're not really looking. You don't really want to work it out. You want to be fooled.

And yes. I am being dismissive.
Now you're looking for the secret. But you won't find it because of course, you're not really looking. You don't really want to work it out. You want to be fooled.

All joking aside though, please play nice in here. Thanks.
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

October 15, 2015, 12:13:18 AM #135 Last Edit: October 15, 2015, 12:19:45 AM by Fergie
Quote from: Ath on October 14, 2015, 06:33:48 PM

OMG the player count is low!  Arm is dying!  Just because people are talking about it, doesn't make it true.  There are always peaks and valleys.

Do you think this kind of response to a genuine concern is going to restore people's faith in the game? Or might it make them decide that it is indeed not going to improve if that's how staff "handles" an obvious problem? Insulting really. There's a serious problem, and dismissing that problem with scorn is only going to make that problem worse. I certainly don't feel confident that this will change when staff respond like that.

But then, staff decency is hardly a defining feature of this game. It's rather known for the opposite.

I'd be more concerned if I got replies to my requests along those lines, and not to hyperbolic "circling the drain!" posts.

The expectation that staff should hire a marketing team and now a public relations team is kinda stupid.

Uhm... do Iyola and I look alike or something?
Quote from: MorgenesYa..what Bushranger said...that's the ticket.

Ah, hey guys. I found a great hook up online for more red tape. There was much rejoicing.
Eurynomos
Senior Storyteller
ArmageddonMUD Staff

Quote from: Jingo on October 15, 2015, 01:15:41 AM
The expectation that staff should hire a marketing team and now a public relations team is kinda stupid.

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."

Quote from: Majikal on October 15, 2015, 04:23:05 AM
Quote from: Jingo on October 15, 2015, 01:15:41 AM

Very much so.  At the same time, seeing more and more snark out of staff is also disheartening.  That is not what was envisioned when the discussion of 'increased player and staff communication' was around.

As far as the original thread, complete with snark title...some things -were- better in the past.  That's that.  Some things -are- better now.  That's that.  Some things were just tradeoffs.  This is literally the same thing that happens in any other game that runs for so long.  I quit WoW because the game changed.  I quit Everquest because the game changed.  I did not quit Armageddon because the game changed.  While somethings are better and some things are worse, the game is not broken unless you very specifically narrow down your parameters, which is essentially the same as you convincing yourself that it's been made horrible rather than allowing yourself to continue to enjoy the experience.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

It's very easy for either players or staff to be snarky in the face of inaccurate accusations or self-fulfilling prophecies. At the same time, it's not an excuse, and I think staff communication has improved markedly toward players who are polite to staff, even in disagreement. I would encourage everyone to not rush to judgment over incomplete statistics or one-sided narratives, and work to consider facts over feelings. I think that will help players find fun in the game in the long run as well.

Have no fear, everyone. I'm coming back.

Yam 2015 - Make Armageddon great again!

Quote from: Armaddict on October 15, 2015, 05:01:21 AM
While somethings are better and some things are worse, the game is not broken unless you very specifically narrow down your parameters, which is essentially the same as you convincing yourself that it's been made horrible rather than allowing yourself to continue to enjoy the experience.

I really liked this point.

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."

Quote from: Majikal on October 15, 2015, 07:36:37 AM
Quote from: Armaddict on October 15, 2015, 05:01:21 AM
While somethings are better and some things are worse, the game is not broken unless you very specifically narrow down your parameters, which is essentially the same as you convincing yourself that it's been made horrible rather than allowing yourself to continue to enjoy the experience.

I really liked this point.

Me too, +1.

Quote from: Yam on October 15, 2015, 07:14:02 AM

Bring your friends.
There are people already knowledgeable in game.  Find them and kill them so no one has cures and then poison everyone. -Kefka 2018

October 15, 2015, 09:41:33 AM #148 Last Edit: October 15, 2015, 09:47:33 AM by Molten Heart
Quote from: Yam on October 15, 2015, 07:14:02 AM

Are you running for president staff? You've got my vote.
"It's too hot in the hottub!"

-James Brown

https://youtu.be/ZCOSPtyZAPA

October 15, 2015, 10:16:42 AM #149 Last Edit: October 15, 2015, 10:20:41 AM by Desertman
Quote from: Nergal on October 15, 2015, 06:46:55 AM
It's very easy for either players or staff to be snarky in the face of inaccurate accusations or self-fulfilling prophecies. At the same time, it's not an excuse, and I think staff communication has improved markedly toward players who are polite to staff, even in disagreement.

I would recommend that staff take the higher road even when players do not. I think it would improve the atmosphere even more markedly if staff were always professional with players even when those players themselves are not polite.

If I have to explain why that's a good idea, then the problem can't be solved. I think it's pretty obvious.

Granted I've never been mean to a staffer and have never given them any reason to be snarky or unprofessional towards me. (The one time one did jump the gun and go off they immediately censored themselves and apologized.) But even if I was, I would hope the staffer would look at it from the perspective of, "This guy is mad about a video game. I'm going to keep it high and tight because it's my job to set the example even in the face of a bad example of player behavior.".

That or we can just be snarky when a player calls us a doodoo head or tells fibs about us on the webbernetz for max lulz and condescension.

I'm just a huge fan of leading by example.
Quote from: James de Monet on April 09, 2015, 01:54:57 AM
My phone now autocorrects "damn" to Dman.
Quote from: deathkamon on November 14, 2015, 12:29:56 AM
The young daughter has been filled.