New Tool Degradation

Started by Lizzie, August 17, 2015, 07:59:28 AM

Is there some way to repair tools? Knives in particular, since knives should be able to be sharpened. They don't just get more and more chipped until they're useless. They get a little chipped - and you sharpen them - and then they're perfectly capable of cutting again, just as if they were brand new. Then they chip a bit, and you sharpen them again. They dull somewhat, and you sharpen them again. Each time you sharpen them, they're JUST LIKE NEW - but smaller than they were previously. Eventually - they fall apart, or crack, or whatever else.

If there's no way to sharpen knives, then I don't feel that the tool degradation code should've gone in yet.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

I agree here, and I also want to add that we have have rasps and those honing wheels to use too.
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

I'm glad it was changed to only degrade tools after the delay, and only on a fail.

I was trying to fletch some arrows that required a tool to make and a brand new fletchery tool was going from excellent to worthless after only 3-4 arrows because it would degrade both before and after the craft attempt, every attempt, success or fail which seemed a little silly to me.

I approve the changes made.
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

Tool degradation code has been in for quite a while (since October 2014).  Only recipes that require tools will see the tool degrade using it.  Crafts that require tools are added by staff on a case-by-case basis; it is not automatic, it is a manual decision.  There are about 200 or so recipes that require tools.  In some cases where tools are required, these are new mastercrafts created by players, but the vast majority are clayworking crafts that require a kiln.

The change is that a bug was fixed.  A player helpfully brought it up to staff and it got fixed!
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

Really appreciate these slew of changes recently. Really appreciate the hard work going into fixing issues and implementing features that make sense. We see, staff. We appreciate the time (even when we complain).
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Stop degrading my tools. They are people too.
Quote from: James de Monet on April 09, 2015, 01:54:57 AM
My phone now autocorrects "damn" to Dman.
Quote from: deathkamon on November 14, 2015, 12:29:56 AM
The young daughter has been filled.

you should feel degraded if you're going to be such a tool about it
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

This is a great fix and it's encouraging to see it get a timely update in response to player experimentation/feedback. Thank you!

August 17, 2015, 03:56:15 PM #9 Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 02:20:32 PM by Taijan
Quote from: Lizzie on August 17, 2015, 07:59:28 AM
Is there some way to repair tools? Knives in particular, since knives should be able to be sharpened. They don't just get more and more chipped until they're useless. They get a little chipped - and you sharpen them - and then they're perfectly capable of cutting again, just as if they were brand new. Then they chip a bit, and you sharpen them again. They dull somewhat, and you sharpen them again. Each time you sharpen them, they're JUST LIKE NEW - but smaller than they were previously. Eventually - they fall apart, or crack, or whatever else.

If there's no way to sharpen knives, then I don't feel that the tool degradation code should've gone in yet.

The ability to sharpen bladed objects would be neat, but in this situation I would say that it's not applicable. Perhaps the wording could be better for some tool types. However, quality is determined both by material and the condition of the tool.

A knife, for example, is only new when it's first made. Through use, the blade will become dull and possibly chip, and thus requires sharpening before it could be reliably used again. The sharpening doesn't make the knife JUST LIKE NEW, it merely takes away the damaged and undamaged pieces until you have a usable blade again. Despite making it just as sharp if not sharper than it was when you started, the blade has lost some of its structural integrity. You can keep using it, but it's now more prone to breaking.

Some craft jobs require more out of a tool than others. You'll need to apply more stress to the blade, and if it's been made too thin then it's just going to break.  Considering tools are made of materials not known for holding an edge for a long time, that degradation is going to occur quickly. Once the tool's been worn out, you need to replace the business end.  And given that Zalanthas lacks the technology to mass produce items, no two tools will be identical, and thus the individual components won't be interchangeable in most instances.

So you make/buy a new tool.

I'm such a noob... Other than turning cotton into cloth (not that that's doable any more ;) ), I've only ever known of one crafting recipe that required a tool, and I've played more than few merchants. :(
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Quote from: FantasyWriter on August 18, 2015, 06:12:36 PM
Other than turning cotton into cloth (not that that's doable any more ;) )

Incorrect.
Quote from: MorgenesYa..what Bushranger said...that's the ticket.