Newbie answers the question, "Why Armageddon?"

Started by lux, September 29, 2003, 06:33:32 AM

Not sure if anyone cares, but here are the reasons this total newbie started playing Armageddon after 11 months at another (more highly voted) MUD.

- No levels and no mindless repetitive NPC-killing to get those levels.  I hate repetition.  When a song comes on the radio that repeats the same lyric one too many times, click.  New station.

- Death is permanent and starting a new character is quick and karma means you might have more options this time than you did last time.  This is much better than death resulting in resurrection at a lower level and/or minus all accumulated experience points, a loss that means hours of mindless repetitive NPC-killing were completely wasted and now must be done all over again to regain what was lost.  Armageddon's way means death opens up your next personal epic.  Heck, I'm almost looking forward to my first death so I can have the fun of creating a new character and maybe one that I wasn't allowed last time.

- Karma is based on RP.  This means that if you ever want to be a Templar the way to do it is to play your dwarf realistically and then later play your half-giant realistically, etc.  How many NPC's you killed is irrelevant.  All that matters is that you demonstrate game maturity and character integrity and follow the rules and remember to emote.  Which makes way more sense than becoming a Templar because you killed a million NPC's.  Let's face it, lots of twinks are great at that.  In Armageddon, no twink will ever be a Templar.

(By the way, it may sound like I want to play a Templar one day, when in reality I'm not sure I do.  I have a feeling it's just as much fun playing a dwarf in the Byn, which is what I'm doing now.)

The above three points sum it up for me.  There are other little things that I like a lot but these are mostly stylistic and may appear in other MUD's for all I know.  For example, the exits command is a personal favorite.  I get lost easy.  I need a little help and the exits command gives me just enough.  

Oh, I also love that there's no global OOC mindlink.  My personal belief is that a global OOC mindlink corrupts RP, especially if the immortals participate, in which case it also corrupts administration.

So my hat's off to this MUD.  Well done, folks.  What makes you different is what makes you best.
ux.

QuoteNot sure if anyone cares, but here are the reasons this total newbie started playing Armageddon after 11 months at another (more highly voted) MUD.  

Of course we care, Lux. It is always nice to get confirmation that we made the right choice. I agree very much with what you said and have some reasons of my own.

Lux, let the light shine! Go tell the World. You have already done the work, why not post your thoughts for those not yet converted to see? Review Armageddon on TMS and/or TMC. :)
f time conversions are giving you a head-ache, visit: http://www.worldtimeserver.com/

Welcome lux. I was curious about how you found and chose Armageddon.
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

Lux, your view on death is a truely excellent one.  Many people fear the death of a character... I tend to embrace it as long as it is a good death.  If I can make one point of advice though:

QuoteHeck, I'm almost looking forward to my first death so I can have the fun of creating a new character and maybe one that I wasn't allowed last time.

I hope that 'almost' is the operative word there.  I have (extremely stupidly) pushed and pushed an incredibly awesome character until she died... granted, the death was my most memorable and best RP'd that I've ever experienced, but *TO THIS DAY* I wish I had not done it.  I have had endless fun with my characters since her, but I constantly think things like "I'd be reacting this way if I was still playing (blah)."  

Two points of advice actually... never push a character to die because you're curious about your karma, and never, ever store a character.  It's a hollow and useless thing to do.  I've stored once, and will never ever do it again.  I stored a completely awesome noble.  By doing so, I cheated a lot of fellow armagers out of plot resolution, I cheated a lot of my underlings out of having things to do, and I cheated myself out of enjoyment and closure.  Don't store, don't push for death, just play for the love of it, for the love of the character.  If things get too boring, and you feel like storing, then shake things up.  Think of something totally radical to do, break some rules, go crazy... it's real easy to make things real interesting on armag.

And lux, we're all glad you came to the best damn mud ever built.  Enjoy.
Yes. Read the thread if you want, or skip to page 7 and be dismissive.
-Reiloth

Words I repeat every time I start a post:
Quote from: Rathustra on June 23, 2016, 03:29:08 PM
Stop being shitty to each other.

Hey lux, you know what you should do?  Go here and tell everyone on TMS the same thing.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Quote from: "spawnloser"Hey lux, you know what you should do?  Go here and tell everyone on TMS the same thing.

Done.
:wink:
ux.

Rock large.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Quote from: "lux"Oh, I also love that there's no global OOC mindlink.  My personal belief is that a global OOC mindlink corrupts RP, especially if the immortals participate, in which case it also corrupts administration.
I tried out another mud during the downtime to pass the time.  As soon as I logged on a dozen people started calling out to me, welcoming me.  It freaked me out and I immediately logged off, never to return.  :o
harlie Bucket: Mr. Wonka, they won't really be burned in the furnace, will they?
Willy Wonka: Well, I think that furnace is only lit every other day, so they have a good sporting chance, haven't they?

Hi. Im brand new to this mud. Actually im fairly new to muds alltogether.
I have played Harshlands, which I really like, but sometimes I go for days without seeing another person which is kind of boring.

Tonight when logging on for the first time in Armageddon, I walked into a tavern and there was people in there! The amazing thing was that the tavern really was alive which is a rare thing in my experience...
Conversations and gestures floated around the main hall in the most realistically and lively way I have ever seen. It was great.

Now I just need to read up on the world so i got a clue what people are talking about.

Quote from: "crawly"Now I just need to read up on the world so i got a clue what people are talking about.

Plots, lots and lots of plots
Quote from: FiveDisgruntledMonkeys
Don't enter the Labyrinth.
They don't call it the Screaming Mantis Tavern to be cute. It's called foreshadowing. First there's screaming, then mantis head.

I played Threshold befoe this and changed to this when I found myself fighting and yelling at people to kill something so i can gain a lvl then I came here and this is my 5 days(?) and i'm on my 3rd character..... (used to threshold where I could kill anything..) And I get killed by a giant beetle.. very fun... running from guys in cloaks.... fun.... beat the F*** up by guards... Priceless
l armageddon รจ la mia aggiunta.