Bank Changes Discussion Thread

Started by Marauder Moe, August 03, 2015, 01:26:52 PM

Quote from: MorgenesYa..what Bushranger said...that's the ticket.

Make it fair, unnerf silky black braies and lilac dresses plz
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

It's not the end of the world.

But you can see it from here.

Quote from: AdamBlue on August 03, 2015, 11:58:52 PM
It just drives me fffuuuccking nuts because THAT IS NOT HOW BANKS WORK.

???

Sure, it's not how any modern banks work in a capitalist economy.

But my immersions are more affected by the way our mounts poop but never have to eat, yet we have to eat but never poop.
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

Quote from: Suhuy on August 03, 2015, 11:57:32 PM
Quote from: wizturbo on August 03, 2015, 02:32:25 PM
Quote from: Quell on August 03, 2015, 02:27:28 PM

Hmmm, but from a meta perspective I really like the thought of nobles starting to carry lots of coins. Think of how much more tempting targets they would make, despite the absurd degree of danger?

But that's the problem, carrying a ton of coins doesn't make any sense!  Coin is super heavy, and that's the last thing a noble would tote around.  WTB tokens/writs worth more, that can be redeemed at the bank (with a fee on the issuing of the token/writ, rather than redemption).

Maybe not every coin is worth one obsidian piece only. Perhaps there are 25-piece coins and 50-piece coins, etc.

Even if I am explicitly told it is otherwise, I will continue to believe that the coinage is in multiple denominations.  I refuse to believe that people are carrying around thousands of chunky pieces of rock in their pocket.

Quote from: Nyr on August 03, 2015, 08:56:28 PM
I know that won't belay the order for gathering the pitchforks, but maybe it is worth mentioning that we do plan to deal with social tiers and we also plan to make further changes to this.  You are seeing the guts/foundation of a new system.  These will be incremental changes enacted over time.

That's actually helpful.  Really, the only reason I'm against the change as implemented is that it feels backward on two levels.  OOCly, you have your people running plots and giving people things to do that are getting hit the hardest because they're frequently moving large amounts of money around to make fun stuff for other people to do. ICly, why are those people getting hit in the first place.  Sure, they could put it in a box in their estate, but why should they have to.  It makes very little sense why Nenyuk is telling a templar to get fucked.  You'd think the templarate would just say lol no.
Former player as of 2/27/23, sending love.

Guys. Chill.

We will be monitoring the effects of this and Nessalin just set up some super neat tools that make it much easier to monitor PC wealth.

This change will make life harder for some people. That is okay. It will make life easier for some people. That is also okay. It may not work out the way we hope. That is also okay because if it turns out that is the case, we can make adjustments. It may work out the way we hope. That would be neat. Changes to systems like the economy can't be simulated on the test port. This means small changes with limited scope are much safer.

If you are a casual player, you probably shouldn't worry. You quite likely fall into the lowest bank fee brackets. If you are worried about some sort of wealth disparity, rejoice in the fact that the guy you hate who salts for 13 hours a day is probably facing much stiffer fees.

Quote from: musashi on August 04, 2015, 12:34:54 AM
Quote from: AdamBlue on August 03, 2015, 11:58:52 PM
It just drives me fffuuuccking nuts because THAT IS NOT HOW BANKS WORK.

???

Sure, it's not how any modern banks work in a capitalist economy.

But my immersions are more affected by the way our mounts poop but never have to eat, yet we have to eat but never poop.

Temporal space warp. We eat, so mounts can poop.

Quote from: MordiggianNobles are the best positioned to disregard this change regardless of personal wealth, because mostly secure noble estates are a thing.

But why would a merchant house institute a policy which results in them losing their best clients? I suppose we can look at it as something of a suspension of disbelief scenario. No code will be perfect and sometimes we all have to apply a bit of suspension of disbelief to the situation anyway. But I think there are workable solutions here that would still retain the initial idea of Nenyuk charging for their services (which they should do! I'm definitely on board with that).

Quote from: Suhuy on August 04, 2015, 01:39:16 AM
But why would a merchant house institute a policy which results in them losing their best clients?

I think it's easier to get your head around if you look at Nenyuk as a tool of the state rather than a business trying to compete with other business for the patronage of the state.

In my mind, Nenyuk is not trying to woo the templarate or the nobility as customers. They are doing the bidding of the nobility and the templarate in order for political cover ... which they then use to slum lord over the poor who can't oppose them.

Actually, yeah, I guess I can see the logic in that. Thanks, musashi dude! :)

So the solution to a noble getting wombo-combo'd by bank fees is to hide it under your bed?

Quote from: MeTekillot on August 04, 2015, 02:05:53 AM
So the solution to a noble getting wombo-combo'd by bank fees is to hide it under your bed?

Till staff add more tweaks to have the code reflect favoritism to the high socioeconomic classes ... yes?

The second wealthiest PC in the database is from the great House Kohmar ^_^

Quote from: MordiggianNobles are the best positioned to disregard this change regardless of personal wealth, because mostly secure noble estates are a thing.

But why would a merchant house institute a policy which results in them losing their best clients?

What are they going to do, start their own bank?
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

I'd like to see nobles and templars waived of the fee. Aside from the upper crust, however, I think this is an excellent thing. Once you fully understand how it works, you realize that what this does is pretty simple, and not that bad. Assuming I understand it based on my own experience, you have to be goofy rich to get a 20 percent tax. Most accounts will be way below a single percent.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Quote from: Nyr on August 04, 2015, 08:17:36 AM

What are they going to do, start their own bank?

Or just take over the bank. You now have Bank of Allanak.  If you don't like it, talk to Tek.
Former player as of 2/27/23, sending love.

I would suggest a bank heist but unfortunately blasting powder was removed because it was too powerful :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8g_GeQR8fJo
Quote from: MorgenesYa..what Bushranger said...that's the ticket.

seeing as I have withdrawn coin a total of one time in the past three months I think 20% is totally reasonable. I have never found myself constantly withdrawing coin. This is a fair change for what is still RISK free permanent coin storage.

In other news, I don't understand how people die from starvation, because my character just ate.

August 04, 2015, 10:07:04 AM #247 Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 10:08:56 AM by Desertman

But why would a merchant house institute a policy which results in them losing their best clients? I suppose we can look at it as something of a suspension of disbelief scenario. No code will be perfect and sometimes we all have to apply a bit of suspension of disbelief to the situation anyway. But I think there are workable solutions here that would still retain the initial idea of Nenyuk charging for their services (which they should do! I'm definitely on board with that).

In a world like Zalanthas, I don't really think this requires a suspension of disbelief.

I feel it is pretty IC.

Is it realistic by modern day first world standards? Absolutely not. Chase or BOA obviously aren't going to charge super high fees to their largest account holders.

In Zalanthas though, where people kill each other constantly and the best illusion of safety and law we have is a semi-openly corrupt system of sword swingers and sorcerer mages.....well....those really wealthy people have a lot more to lose....it is worth it to them to put that money somewhere that the rest of the savage world can't get to it.

It's not like putting $240,000 under your mattress like old Uncle Larry used to because he didn't trust banks IRL. It's more like trying put $240,000 under your mattress if you live in the middle of war-torn Burma and face the possibility of a raid on your village every single day of your life.
Quote from: James de Monet on April 09, 2015, 01:54:57 AM
My phone now autocorrects "damn" to Dman.
Quote from: deathkamon on November 14, 2015, 12:29:56 AM
The young daughter has been filled.

To put things in perspective, the current breakdown is that on withdrawal there's a 50 coin minimum fee, regardless of percentage based on balance.

Under 2000 coins, no percent.

2,000-4,999 is 10%
5,000-14,999 is 15%
15,000-29,999 is 20%
30,000-infinityandbeyond is 25%
"Unless you have a suitcase and a ticket and a passport,
The cargo that they're carrying is you"

Considering 1000 coins is a month's rent for a shitty little hole in the wall apartment, I think those brackets need to be adjusted.