Bank Changes Discussion Thread

Started by Marauder Moe, August 03, 2015, 01:26:52 PM

And thus began the Zalanthan Market Crash of '27, when everyone flocked to the Nenyuk bank to withdraw all their money before fees could be enacted.

Quote from: Marauder Moe on August 03, 2015, 01:26:52 PM
And thus began the Zalanthan Market Crash of '27, when everyone flocked to the Nenyuk bank to withdraw all their money before fees could be enacted.

Yes... good...

Well, it's a red letter day for pickpockets and burglars.

Quote from: manonfire on August 03, 2015, 01:44:26 PM

I was just thinking this. Though I do believe this is putting the cart before the horse - we need NPC targets for burglars. Need, need, need.

Quote from: manonfire on August 03, 2015, 01:44:26 PM

Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

A new banking tax.

#thanksnyr
Now you're looking for the secret. But you won't find it because of course, you're not really looking. You don't really want to work it out. You want to be fooled.

Yes...yes...it's finally happening. The banking changes, they are here.

Quote from: James de Monet on April 09, 2015, 01:54:57 AM
My phone now autocorrects "damn" to Dman.
Quote from: deathkamon on November 14, 2015, 12:29:56 AM
The young daughter has been filled.

August 03, 2015, 02:08:48 PM #7 Last Edit: August 03, 2015, 02:13:14 PM by wizturbo
Just some quick feedback...  20% is CRAZY high for a transaction fee.  We're talking economic insanity.  The Merchant Houses wouldn't use Nenyuk...because in the end, they'd get EVERYTHING.   If you're making a million sid a year, it would cost less to build your own vault and hire an army of mercenaries to guard it, then to deposit it in Nenyuk.

If the system is set for private citizens though, I suppose it could sorta work.  It's a fee for protecting their money... and they'll never have the scale to build that vault and hire that army of mercs.   /shrug

Quote from: wizturbo on August 03, 2015, 02:08:48 PM
Just some quick feedback...  20% is CRAZY high for a transaction fee.  We're talking economic insanity.  The Merchant Houses wouldn't use Nenyuk...because in the end, they'd get EVERYTHING.

If the system is set for private citizens though, I suppose it could sorta work.  It's a fee for protecting their money...  /shrug

It is my understanding this fee only applies to individual accounts not clan accounts.

Quote from: Nathvaan on August 03, 2015, 02:12:58 PM

It is my understanding this fee only applies to individual accounts not clan accounts.

Gotcha, that makes a lot more sense. 

Quote from: Delirium on August 03, 2015, 02:17:31 PM
20% is still crazy high.
This, though its too soon to see how it balances out.

I love it.  (Of course, I've tended to play pick pockets.)
as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

Split this off from RAT since it is a pretty big change that probably deserves its own thread for discussion.

My serious thoughts are that it's nice to see the bank finally behaving as something other than a completely diku stock ooc mechanic for risk free money storage.

August 03, 2015, 02:21:58 PM #14 Last Edit: August 03, 2015, 02:25:37 PM by wizturbo
20% is still crazy high.

It is.  But I doubt the code would've been available to implement it in more subtle ways, like having the account balance slowly depreciate over time as a time based fee.

I'd love to see a Nenyuk voucher or writ system be put in place to accompany this.  Getting a sealed scroll or marker that's worth 1000 coins, would be a "service" worthy of paying 20% for...  having them dump a pile of sid on the counter, and having to lug it around...or pay another 20% to re-deposit it doesn't sound fun.

It would be nice to have these fees adjusted based on social status as well.  A noble shouldn't be paying 20% on their money, whereas Joe Grebber the Lesser might.  The whole rich get richer, poor get poorer, kind of system that Zalanthian politics would absolutely reinforce.

August 03, 2015, 02:25:23 PM #15 Last Edit: August 03, 2015, 02:27:15 PM by Delirium
I like the change but 20% is f#$*ing ridiculous. 5% is high, but realistic.

There also needs to be a lot of other support infrastructure in place before we go messing with banks.

Every single class in this game has a way to skill up and make money off NPCs with their main class skills, with the exception of burglars. They NEED a slew of hovels filled with random junk to steal and sell. Pickpockets also need a way higher variety of NPCs and they need to repop inventory between game reboots.

Prohibitive bank fees aimed at draining PC funds or forcing people to carry their sid around is putting the cart before the horse.

Maybe it's "easier" to implement this change but I believe in doing things in the right order, not in "order of easiness".

August 03, 2015, 02:26:56 PM #16 Last Edit: August 03, 2015, 02:28:48 PM by wizturbo
Also, I'd go check your own balances in-game.  My particular balance is not exactly small.... so maybe I'm in "crazy fees" territory on my account?  I dunno.   It does seem extremely high though, and will definitely modify my character's behaviors in game...which was probably the intent of these changes?  I'll weigh in after a month or two and see how the game feels as a result of these tweaks.

Quote from: wizturbo on August 03, 2015, 02:21:58 PM
20% is still crazy high.

It is.  But I doubt the code would've been available to implement it in more subtle ways, like having the account balance slowly depreciate over time as a time based fee.

I'd love to see a Nenyuk voucher or writ system be put in place to accompany this.  Getting a sealed scroll or marker that's worth 1000 coins, would be a "service" worthy of paying 20% for...  having them dump a pile of sid on the counter, and having to lug it around...or pay another 20% to re-deposit it doesn't sound fun.

It would be nice to have these fees adjusted based on social status as well.  A noble shouldn't be paying 20% on their money, whereas Joe Grebber the Lesser might.  The whole rich get richer, poor get poorer, kind of system that Zalanthian politics would absolutely reinforce.

Hmmm, but from a meta perspective I really like the thought of nobles starting to carry lots of coins. Think of how much more tempting targets they would make, despite the absurd degree of danger?

Um, I hope this isn't too 'find out IC', but it isn't 20% on all accounts.
as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

Point stands. It should go something like 1%, 2%, 3%, 4%, 5% (rounded up), not 5%, 10%, 15%, 20% or however it does now.

The announcement post suggested it was a progressive fee based on what you have in the bank.
Now you're looking for the secret. But you won't find it because of course, you're not really looking. You don't really want to work it out. You want to be fooled.

My level of care about this change is pretty meh.  I think it's great for low status characters, but leaders having less money to do stuff with makes me much less enthused.  And it sounds like the amounts are 10%, 20%, that's ridiculously high.  If lower bank taxes were or are a clan perk, okay I guess.  Is it going to break the game for me?  No.  But I also don't think it's going to fix the economy.  Overall, not excited.
Former player as of 2/27/23, sending love.

Quote from: wizturbo on August 03, 2015, 02:08:48 PM
Just some quick feedback...  20% is CRAZY high for a transaction fee.

Of the people online right now, all of them have a lower transaction fee than this because they don't have an account big enough to warrant it.  You are seeing this because you have a larger account.  Note also this is for withdrawals only.

Quote from: Delirium on August 03, 2015, 02:29:55 PM
Point stands. It should go something like 1%, 2%, 3%, 4%, 5% (rounded up), not 5%, 10%, 15%, 20% or however it does now.

We might change the gradient in either direction.  We'll see whether this has the desired/expected effect, first.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

Quote from: Quell on August 03, 2015, 02:27:28 PM

Hmmm, but from a meta perspective I really like the thought of nobles starting to carry lots of coins. Think of how much more tempting targets they would make, despite the absurd degree of danger?

But that's the problem, carrying a ton of coins doesn't make any sense!  Coin is super heavy, and that's the last thing a noble would tote around.  WTB tokens/writs worth more, that can be redeemed at the bank (with a fee on the issuing of the token/writ, rather than redemption).

Agree that I'm not crazy about the idea of noble/templar characters being taxed in this way.  Though I guess most of them do have large estates they can use as money storage.