Increasing skills

Started by azuriolinist, June 24, 2015, 09:52:12 PM

June 24, 2015, 09:52:12 PM Last Edit: June 24, 2015, 10:02:07 PM by azuriolinist
Hi! Started about 5 days ago and already two characters down because of going out and getting killed by scrabs and whatnot.

I was wondering how you're supposed to increase your skills? Am I supposed to send logs of my roleplaying to the staff, or does the skill increase happen in-game, when you practice it?

It will automatically happen through use of the skills in question. Most skills will take a while to get up. You learn more through failure.

QuoteA female voice says, in sirihish:
     "] yer a wizard, oashi"

June 24, 2015, 10:06:27 PM #2 Last Edit: June 24, 2015, 10:10:28 PM by Clearsighted
Quote from: azuriolinist on June 24, 2015, 09:52:12 PM
Hi! Started about 5 days ago and already two characters down because of going out and getting killed by scrabs and whatnot.

I was wondering how you're supposed to increase your skills? Am I supposed to send logs of my roleplaying to the staff, or does the skill increase happen in-game, when you practice it?

It happens through joining the T'zai Byn. This is the best possible thing you can do. This is not the kind of game where you can go out and start killing stuff off the bat. Most combat training, when you're new, and especially when unskilled, happens through sparring and teaching. This is usually the case in the South, and if you're a newbie, and definitely if you're a newbie AND in the South.

So in short, the best thing you can do to get better is to join a clan. I recommend the Byn, which is intended to ease new characters into combat roles. You should be able to find a Sergeant to recruit you very easily, if you ask around.

The Byn will also give you a schedule/structure/comrades and regular stew. Great introduction to Armageddon if you're a warrior/ranger type at heart.

Don't bother with sending in RP logs. If you're in a situation where you require RP logs to advance, you'll know it. You're not in it. So it's not worth stressing or thinking about. Everything can be raised naturally in game. Except wagon making. Wagon makers are fucked.

I'd say the only class you could really try to go outright start murdering things is maybe warrior and I still wouldn't recommend it.
Try joining the Byn to get some training and what not. You could also send logs after loads of training if you'd like.

If you're playing a combat-oriented character, you might find better success by joining a combat-oriented clan at least once early in your Arm career, so you can get a grip on syntax and both IC and OOC strategy. Being in an active combat-oriented clan means you'll have someone "in charge" helping you learn these things, and other people you can practice with. The initial boost to skills can take awhile so be patient. At first, you'll only know that you're getting better, because you fail less often. But after awhile, when you type SKILLS COMBAT you'll see that some skills have bumped up from novice to apprentice, or from apprentice to journeyman, etc. etc.

You can type SKILLS without the word COMBAT after it to see your entire skills list. SKILLS STEALTH will show you all your current stealth skills and their "ranking" - and so on and so forth with each category of skills on your skills list.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Quote from: Jihelu on June 24, 2015, 10:07:20 PM
I'd say the only class you could really try to go outright start murdering things is maybe warrior and I still wouldn't recommend it.
Try joining the Byn to get some training and what not. You could also send logs after loads of training if you'd like.

My understanding is the imms don't particularly like unsolicited logs. I have also been told skill raises through RP isn't something the imms tend to do. This is really something you should ask about in a request before you go about sending in logs.

That said, you should be able to get your skills up to a passable level over time through sparring/teaching/general usage if you join a clan. As everyone else has said, the Byn is a great start for a newbie and one I personally recommend, but it's not the only place. Some more independent groups exist if you don't want the structure imposed by a clan, which you can ask around about IC.

Woah. You guys are quick. Thanks! My character's already joined the Byn, so that's great.  Was quite hard for me to find a clan with my first two characters because I seem to live in the other side of the world from most of the players in Armageddon. Anyways, thanks again, and if I have any more questions I'll be sure to ask here!

We're always glad to help! Just remember to attempt to be vague about who/what character you're playing! You never know who has an OOC vendetta against newbies ;P
Quote from: LauraMars
Quote from: brytta.leofaLaura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?
If by weird tribal men you mean Christians then yes.

Quote from: Malifaxis
She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

Skilling up combat skills on a fresh PC without joining a clan is 100% based on knowledge of what "level" your PC is at, i.e. what he's capable of fighting at the moment.  Really the only way to develop that knowledge is to accumulate it over time as you play various characters with various races, stats, guilds, and subguilds.

If all you ever do is train with the T'zai Byn, then go out and fight things, you'll have a very skewed view of how that process actually should go.  That being said, playing in a clan is most definitely helpful for learning all the other ancillary things that go into keeping a character alive, and you should definitely start within a clan, or you'll end up dying a whole lot of frustrating, unnecessary deaths.

But here's a tip, that you probably have already experienced:  scrabs are not "level 1" mobs.  In fact, I'd say that, unless you specifically are killing the scrabs to make coins off of some part of them, you should avoid them entirely.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.