Names!

Started by The Silence of the Erdlus, June 23, 2015, 07:31:35 PM

I name a lot of my characters after nouns or phrases - A bounty hunter named Mercy, a Whiran named Chance, a rinthi ruff'n'tumble named Crass.

Others are made up, with a middle-eastern flair, that I want to end up with a certain sound. I want names that resonate with who the character is. I've taken translated words and modified them, too, for names, that works well.
I tripped and Fale down my stairs. Drink milk and you'll grow Uaptal. I know this guy from the state of Tenneshi. This house will go up Borsail tomorrow. I gave my book to him Nenyuk it back again. I hired this guy golfing to Kadius around for a while.

Take League names and turn them around.
I probably already posted that.
Do it anyway.

I've used Baphet, I remember that. Opal, Flower, Stabby (a rinthi), Dayna, Biri, Gunir, Col, Corin, Tahlini, Siko, Johan, Kaga, Ibermund.

My favourite one I thought up is still Sjante Chases Falls (Sun Runner).

Quote from: Bogre on November 12, 2015, 02:54:00 PMa Whiran named Chance,

I had a character named Chance too! Not a whiran though.
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

Quote from: LauraMars on November 12, 2015, 10:05:18 PM
Quote from: Bogre on November 12, 2015, 02:54:00 PMa Whiran named Chance,

I had a character named Chance too! Not a whiran though.
What are the Chances?
as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

I have a lot of names that I feel are Armenian-ish. If you're going to play a game where everyone's life is hell, name your characters after earth's most screwed-over people.
You take the last bite of your scooby snack.
This tastes like ordinary meat.
There is nothing left now.

I tend towards middle-eastern names lately, but I used to use norse names.

Most of the time, I straight up faceroll the keyboard (sometimes literally) and then stair at the letters until something inspires me to a name, or the letters make a name. I wish I was joking.

Sometimes though, I think of a name that I like and it carries enough personality to sort of shape the pc I make around it.
A staff member sends you:
"Normally we don't see a <redacted> walk into a room full of <redacted> and start indiscriminately killing."

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."

I have based at least one of my NPC's names off the length of a previous PC in the clan.

Quote from: Akariel on November 18, 2015, 04:16:45 PM
I have based at least one of my NPC's names off the length of a previous PC in the clan.

Thank you.  Can we please have a list of (game historical) names that are appropriate for players to use?

I suppose reusing any former PC names you can think of (or deriving inspiration from them) would be a good start.

Be forewarned, if you name your guy Samos and then show up claiming to be a soldier, you might get thrown in jail. (Sorry Talia)

I started off with more mundane names, then went a little abstract. Now I like to name my characters something memorable, I had a character a couple months ago, and when he introduced himself, every time, the other person would pause, or blink, or even just outright say, that's a weird fucking name. Most importantly, I like naming my characters in a way that sounds like the concept. If I'm playing a low life scummy rinth-rat, I'll pick a simple name and make sure it rhymes with something lewd/disgusting.
3/21/16 Never Forget

Wait, so naming a character "Samos" would be bad?

In real life, most names are re-used.  A great many (most?) names are even those of kings, saints, and other prominent historical figures.

Being a Red Robe that was unusually popular with the common people, I'd think there would be a lot of baby Samos's out there.  (Actually, Samos's time was about 60 years ago, so probably by now there could be adult characters named after grandpa baby Samos...)

Yeah, I don't understand why it would be uncool to name your PC after a famous PC from the past. I'd like to see that, actually.

Full disclosure: I threw Samos II in jail because he showed up in suspicious circumstances and kept giving all the "wrong" IC answers.

In retrospect I should have killed him.

I have seen other PCs with notorious or famous names encounter various reactions (up to and including being renamed on the spot).

Commoners naming their kids after famous templars and nobles still seems entirely sensible to me.

November 18, 2015, 09:40:02 PM #66 Last Edit: November 18, 2015, 09:43:46 PM by LauraMars
I use famous Zalanthan names all the time for my characters.  I've had several named after templars (As an example, I had one pc named Sathis, after Sathis Valika the Red who has a statue on Templar's Way.  That was Halaster's templar.  I also had a Borsail noble named Ellandris, after Ceylara Ellandris Borsail, a famous Borsail PC of the past).  I know other players who have done this too.  There's been at least one other player named Samos and one named after Eunoli (a famous Lirathan templar).  The fact that there's been a commoner npc named Samos means someone on staff must have been ok with this behavior at some point too.

Anyway, it's something I've seen a lot in the past and personally I wish it happened more, since it's a nice little tribute to players that have gone before.  I don't really think there's a problem with it, and it makes perfect IC sense.  Maybe seidhr doesn't like it, but based on my pretty extensive experience I don't think that means it's against the rules?

Of course, when I say "there haven't been problems" I mean OOC problems, not IC problems.  My commoner named Sathis nearly had her arm broken by a templar (part of the reason was her name, the other part was that she tripped and spilled some salad).

I think IC problems are ok to have when it comes to names.  I like them.

IG I have recommended to parents that when they name their kids after nobles or templars, they change the name a little bit so as to avoid potential IC consequences.

OOCly, I would hope people can name their PCs after IC "celebrities," whether the name is an exact copy or altered slightly, and get them approved!

I'm fine with people outright taking names from other PCs, celebrity or not.  If a character was named with a name, that name must come from somewhere in the world.  People by and large don't just invent names for children.

Heck, I bet Amos, Talia, Malik, and Sadira were all members of the Old Council of Kings, though long forgotten.

We also have a good variety of Zalanthan plant life that a fair number of people have taken advantage of for PC names.

Quote from: Marauder Moe on November 19, 2015, 12:05:47 PM
We also have a good variety of Zalanthan plant life that a fair number of people have taken advantage of for PC names.

Though sometimes I wish it was considered "bad luck" in game to name your kids after animals. Just to explain all the assist and rescue related mishaps that tend to come from it.

Ya... don't name your PCs after animals.  At least not after large/aggressive/hunted animals.

November 19, 2015, 03:24:36 PM #72 Last Edit: November 19, 2015, 07:40:30 PM by lostinspace
Quote from: Marauder Moe on November 19, 2015, 01:43:09 PM
Ya... don't name your PCs after animals.  At least not after large/aggressive/hunted animals.

Plantlife is generally safer I think, but I've played a character with the same keyword as a large creature. Luckily the crowd I was with payed attention.
3/21/16 Never Forget

Naming your child after an animal should make them not attack it for they are kin.

Quote from: Jihelu on November 19, 2015, 06:04:11 PM
Naming your child after an animal should make them not attack it for they are kin.

But what about the poor little 'rinth kid name Rat who is tasked with bringing food home for his starving family?