Names!

Started by The Silence of the Erdlus, June 23, 2015, 07:31:35 PM

Squirrely Squirrel?  Beary Bear?  Deary Dear..  Oh wrong series.

"Now don't be down Mya'll"

Woodland Critters Forever!
The glowing Nessalin Nebula flickers eternally overhead.
This Angers The Shade of Nessalin.

I've been taking names from my nerd media, turning them backwards, and adding a letter or two to the beginning or the end. Usually misspelled, obviously to make them shorter. Techniques like this create names you wouldn't have normally thought of by yourself.
https://armageddon.org/help/view/Inappropriate%20vernacular
gorgio: someone who is not romani, not a gypsy.
kumpania: a family of story tellers.
vardo: a horse-drawn wagon used by British Romani as their home. always well-crafted, often painted and gilded

I just steal names from the PB, write them down, wait a year.
Quote from: Miradus on January 26, 2017, 11:36:32 AM
I'm just looking for a general consensus. Or Moe's opinion. Either one generally can be accepted as canon.

Most of my characters name's come from this https://www.fantasynamegenerators.com/
Quote from MeTekillot
Samos the salter never goes to jail! Hahaha!

I think I said this before but Rinkworks is my go to place.
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

I make random vowel and consonant sounds out loud until a name I enjoy saying happens.
You begin searching the area intently.
You look around, but don't find any large wood.
You think: "Story of my life."

I do all kinds of things to find a name.  Like:

Look up words in other languages.  I had an Elkrosian named Saetta (Italian for lightning bolt) and a Whiran named Adieri (Romanian for wind).  Somebody started calling the latter Eri and it stuck which was cool.  Cool and airy.

Sometimes I look at lists of names from different ethnic groups and maybe change a couple of letters.  Or take common names and change a letter like Susan becomes Jujan.

I also like to have a little joke in the name.   I had a dwarf bard named Noh which was short for Noholds.

Quote from: J S BachIf it ain't baroque, don't fix it.

Quote from: only_plays_tribals on August 21, 2019, 02:03:58 AM
I make random vowel and consonant sounds out loud until a name I enjoy saying happens.

I do that too and sometimes what Medena does.
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

Is it just me or have more and more earth-like names been making it thru the application process? I could be wrong but I remember when using popular earth names was a big no-no.

"Valentine"

* headshake *
Sitting in your comfort,
You don't believe I'm real,
But you cannot buy protection
from the way that I feel.

Quote from: kahuna on August 21, 2019, 01:06:04 PM
Is it just me or have more and more earth-like names been making it thru the application process? I could be wrong but I remember when using popular earth names was a big no-no.

They have indeed been making it through, as have some weird Sdesc words for both players and items.

According to my extreme record-keeping ability, Earth-like names have always been around in game.
Former player as of 2/27/23, sending love.

Been around, for sure. It just seems like there has been an uptick in approved characters with odd Sdescs and Earth like names. It could just be bias, but it seems that way.

Quote from: valeria on August 22, 2019, 07:58:32 AM
According to my extreme record-keeping ability, Earth-like names have always been around in game.

Yep. They always have. People just like to vaguebook I think. Bad people.

I dont think its always been around. I've had applications denied in the past for it when I was new but this is just my experience.

I'm not quite sure what you mean.  The top 3 generic names are Amos, Malik, and Talia, which are all real world names.

You probably won't get a Joe in though.  Unless it is a GRRM-style Joh or something.
Former player as of 2/27/23, sending love.

Quote from: valeria on August 25, 2019, 10:46:33 AM
I'm not quite sure what you mean.  The top 3 generic names are Amos, Malik, and Talia, which are all real world names.

You probably won't get a Joe in though.  Unless it is a GRRM-style Joh or something.

I'm not saying no earth-like names find their way into the game, I'm saying that I've rarely seen names that are popular even today. Of course you're going to see some stuff here and there but no one can deny that immersion can be broken when you hear someones name is the same as your own IRL.

Quote from: kahuna on August 25, 2019, 11:05:56 AM

I'm not saying no earth-like names find their way into the game, I'm saying that I've rarely seen names that are popular even today. Of course you're going to see some stuff here and there but no one can deny that immersion can be broken when you hear someones name is the same as your own IRL.

Get over it.

It sucks. If someone had my name in game, it'd be difficult. But its a fantasy game, and I've seen people who literally were roleplaying League of Legends characters.

If its a real problem, complaint it and explain to staff your side. Otherwise, all this does is make people feel bad for not living up to your standard of naming conventions. Staff allowed the name.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Quote from: Riev on August 25, 2019, 11:37:34 AM
Quote from: kahuna on August 25, 2019, 11:05:56 AM

Get over it.

It sucks. If someone had my name in game, it'd be difficult. But its a fantasy game, and I've seen people who literally were roleplaying League of Legends characters.

If its a real problem, complaint it and explain to staff your side. Otherwise, all this does is make people feel bad for not living up to your standard of naming conventions. Staff allowed the name.

Get over what? I'm simply stating my opinion about a game on the discussion board in a thread about names.

Personally I go one of two ways, take a character I met IC a bit ago and change it up a bit.
Or I just think of a cool sounding word, make it fantasy and boom.
Quote from: Lotion on August 20, 2020, 06:40:50 AMresting as a city elf walking in the wilderness because "I was so close" and then got jumped by things that could easily kill me and I didn't have the stamina to escape.

August 22, 2020, 07:59:49 PM #146 Last Edit: August 22, 2020, 08:07:09 PM by Aruven
Seems we can argue about anything. Character apps used to get denied for alternative fantasy and real life earth names that were super common in our era, there were exceptions.

I know specifically northern tulukis would kinda go with egyptian derivatives or root words which I thought was cool, especially amongst the nobility.

Allanak kinda has its own flavor too.

March 12, 2022, 01:23:14 PM #149 Last Edit: March 12, 2022, 01:25:44 PM by armandhammer
I like to take ancient words (read: spell words) and sometimes add a vowel or so to make them seem like they're delineated from old world speak, I've played Eena, Yuqa, Kral, etc. (of course usually these PCs are mundane and wouldn't know the meaning of their name, just like a lot of people in real-life)

Spice words make great names (Thodeliv, Tho for short, Qel, etc)

Zalanthan days of the week make great names. I played a Terrin.

I like taking names from Hindu texts, i.e. Bhagavad Gita, and altering them a bit so they aren't really google-able: Dristhu, Kuntiboje, Dhuryadana, Dhritara, etc.

Actually, adding 'h' after consants never feels wrong. Khet, Phet, Bakh. Sometimes hard 'kt' sounds great: Shikt, Krillikitekt (oooh he's probably a wiggler) etc, sort of an egyptian vibe.

Obviously in-game plant & animal names are great.