Detailed Map of Allanak

Started by James de Monet, June 09, 2015, 05:37:15 AM

I started working on a this a while ago, but wasn't able to finish it until recently, when I was able to get some more appropriate meshes.  It isn't entirely to scale, and some areas are blurred out if they're not really important for the average city-goer (and some are covered up for obvious reasons).

It will probably take a moment to load completely, even on a fast connection, and will work much better on a PC than on a phone, because of the mouseover features.  Anyway, enjoy! 

http://armageddontools.searchlightsj.com/AllanakMap.html

P.S.  This was cleared for posting, just in case you're curious.
Quote from: Lizzie on February 10, 2016, 09:37:57 PM
You know I think if James simply retitled his thread "Cheese" and apologized for his first post being off-topic, all problems would be solved.

This is very beatiful. Thank you.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. -MT

Make babies with me?

QuoteA female voice says, in sirihish:
     "] yer a wizard, oashi"

Beautiful!
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

It's so clean and pretty.  I can't imagine Allanak as that clean and pretty.

Way to ruin it for me, Monet.  :'(

j/k
Former player as of 2/27/23, sending love.

This is amazing. Any chance you could mark major landmarks on a map of the Known in the same way?

Quote from: Alesan on June 09, 2015, 12:06:38 PM
This is amazing. Any chance you could mark major landmarks on a map of the Known in the same way?

I think it's doubtful it would get approved even if it was pretty obscure.

There should be a general list of things you should know about the wild, living in or around Allanak. Most citizens would probably know about the massive sink-hole, and that the north road leading out of 'nak leads off a cliff, instance. That there was once a volcano out there to the south-west, but is now a flattened, rocky wasteland. The salt-flats and Mekillots to the east.

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on June 09, 2015, 12:34:23 PM
Quote from: Alesan on June 09, 2015, 12:06:38 PM

I think it's doubtful it would get approved even if it was pretty obscure.

There should be a general list of things you should know about the wild, living in or around Allanak. Most citizens would probably know about the massive sink-hole, and that the north road leading out of 'nak leads off a cliff, instance. That there was once a volcano out there to the south-west, but is now a flattened, rocky wasteland. The salt-flats and Mekillots to the east.

But such common-knowledge items as these would not be approved for placement on a map?

Not with the detail and density of the Allanak map, no. For instance the Labyrinth was left out of this map, for good reason. It's not a maze anymore if everyone knows where to go. The wilderness is much the same way, just spread out and wide open instead of a tightly packed alleys.

But I'm not... asking for density and detail. Just a few markings of major landmarks everyone would reasonably know about. Well, nevermind. If it's completely out of the question, so be it.

There used to be at least one map graphic of the known world.  Seems to be unavailable with the current website.  All we have now is http://www.armageddon.org/help/view/Map%20Zalanthas

Quote from: Marauder Moe on June 09, 2015, 01:30:53 PM
There used to be at least one map graphic of the known world.  Seems to be unavailable with the current website.  All we have now is http://www.armageddon.org/help/view/Map%20Zalanthas

There's this map, but it doesn't seem to be terribly accurate (and is quite outdated).

Perhaps unsurprisingly, one of the other myriad Armageddon projects I started was a video that kind of showed the evolution of the world, but on a map, like an intro video to the game.  Maybe someday I'll get around to finishing it.

Quote from: valeria on June 09, 2015, 08:31:21 AM
It's so clean and pretty.  I can't imagine Allanak as that clean and pretty.

Way to ruin it for me, Monet.  :'(

Haha, I put blood on the arena floor! All other grit is optional.  ;)  I don't think it would be at all easy to add a realistic level of dirt, as it would require hand-retouching every texture (of which there are hundreds), but it's a valid point, even if you were joking.  Maybe I can find a workaround.  We'll see.
You know I think if James simply retitled his thread "Cheese" and apologized for his first post being off-topic, all problems would be solved.

Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

This is fucking amazing, and even for people who knew this already...I'd only visualized it in rooms.  In text.  In excel.

You've put life into the visual of a city, bravo.

You do need the giant corpse pile, though.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

Its just as I imagined, except in mirror image, because I'm a little dyslexic.
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

Quality contribution, should probably be accessible from the official site.
The neat, clean-shaven man sends you a telepathic message:
     "I tried hairy...Im sorry"

Quote from: CodeMaster on June 09, 2015, 02:53:05 PM

Agreed.

Is there an arch at Stonecarver's and Templars' way? Is that artistic license? Been in Allanak for 3 years and never noticed if there is one.

Quote from: BadSkeelz on June 09, 2015, 03:16:07 PM
Quote from: CodeMaster on June 09, 2015, 02:53:05 PM

Agreed.

Is there an arch at Stonecarver's and Templars' way? Is that artistic license? Been in Allanak for 3 years and never noticed if there is one.

I had the same thought.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

On the plus side, I now have a reason to want to log in today.

This is awesome work done dude. I have had the map of Nak carved in my mind, but never imagined it this way.

Maybe you could highlight the mountseller as well.
Kore ga watashi no nindouni!

Please Sticky and/or post to helpfile/main page for new players.  This is awesome.
Quote from: BadSkeelz
Ah well you should just kill those PCs. They're not worth the time of plotting creatively against.

Quote from: BadSkeelz on June 09, 2015, 03:16:07 PM

Just artistic license.

Quote from: whitt on June 09, 2015, 04:18:28 PM
Please Sticky and/or post to helpfile/main page for new players.  This is awesome.

I originally started working on this in response to Morg's map call, and I believe staff have a plan to link it in some fashion at some point.  Glad you guys like it!

Hmm.  Mount seller might be a good addition.

I was thinking the Stables and Salt Yards as well.

Great work, again.