Sheathing weapons

Started by Sephiroto, September 26, 2003, 02:16:20 PM

Would it be possible to add the 'shoulder' as a sheathing position rather than, or in addition to, 'worn across the back'?

There are pro's and con's to each weapon we use, but there is no effective way to sheathe a 'large' weapon and carry a large pack on the back.  Or possibly a sheathing position 'strapped to backpack' when wearing a pack would work.

Its just become inconvenent for myself at times.  I'm thinking that may be the point though.

Simply put, no.

The 'On Shoulder' location is for things that sit ON your shoulder. These are things like epaullettes, patches, and parots. The location should not be for things slung off the shoulder.

-Tlaloc
Tlaloc
Legend

It would be cool to be able to sheath a sword under a pack.

Mostly I want to be able to sheath two swords on my back.  And one of them is a katana. Whhooopah!

I most definitly think that you could sheath a weapon or other long object on your back, and wear a backpack ontop. I done similar things hundreds of times in real life. Sheathing large items between a backpack and my body.

If for game-balance or something else, a delay could be added for items that were sheathed udner a backpack.. or demand that the backpack were to be taken off first?

Fun is what we are here for..

Quote from: "growingall"I most definitly think that you could sheath a weapon or other long object on your back, and wear a backpack ontop. I done similar things hundreds of times in real life. Sheathing large items between a backpack and my body.

If for game-balance or something else, a delay could be added for items that were sheathed udner a backpack.. or demand that the backpack were to be taken off first?

Yes, but the issue with sheathing weapons on your back, is that it takes room to draw them.  A pack, or something else on your back takes away from that space.  I have also worn weapons on my back (my weapon of choice can not be practically worn anywhere else) and if I was wearing something over it, there is no way I could draw.  Most large weapons are not "sheathed" on your back; at best they fit into a harness-like with ring at the bottom and a clip that grips the blade just below the quillions.

Now, I don't see any reason why "on pack" could not be a sheathable location for mid to large (but not too big) sized weapons.  I know when I go camping/hiking, if I am bringing a full-sized axe, I just strap it to my pack.  It's too big to hang from a belt, but it does really well on my pack.
When we found her Marnlee mornin',
Hoofprints walking up her back
There were empties by her war braids
And sixty-five dead carru in a stack.

~ Unknown - Heru Got Runover by a Carru

The shame is that with all the ways that PCs have of wearing clothing that doubles as packroom, a change like this, while cooler than being able to stuff some things in your boots or elsewhere, probably isn't necessary.

I think a nice solution to this would be to have some of the players calm down and not be so anal about walking around with a weapon drawn. Really, there is a big difference between walking around, leaning on your baridache like it's a walking stick and running around pointing it at templars and kittens.

The mighty militia man says, in sirihish:
"Put your weapon away, citizen!"

The calm, spice-head Bynner says, in sirihish, leaning casually on his obsidian-tipped halberd:
"D00d, where the hell do you want me to put it? It's taller than me!"
EvilRoeSlade wrote:
QuoteYou find a bulbous root sac and pick it up.
You shout, in sirihish:
"I HAVE A BULBOUS SAC"
QuoteA staff member sends:
     "You are likely dead."

Jesus, that actually is pretty realistic also. Specially in Tuluk with its wonderful Militia. They see a weapon out, I'll be damned if he isnt all over it reading the riot act.

krath-ugly skinny walks stealthily east.

badass, militia guy says in sirihish
You better not walk like that because it brings attention to you!
ocking a fake scream, the badass scorpion exclaims to you, in
sirihish:
"Ah! Scorpions! I pissed my Wyvern trousers! Ah!"

Lets say you -must- wear a pack and you're wielding a two handed weapon.  You need free hands for a while.  At that point you have to remove the weapon and hold it in your inventory where it weighs much more and is codewise, in your hands anyway.  Sometimes you've got to be ready for combat and you can't call a time out while you open your pack, get the weapon, then wield it.  In the end I generally end up emoting that I strap it to my pack anyway, and there it sits in my inventory.   Sitting there being cumbersome.   I'm probally just being shallow, but I've really wished I could strap things to my pack.

QuoteWould it be possible to add the 'shoulder' as a sheathing position rather than, or in addition to, 'worn across the back'?
I really don't like this idea.

[/quote]I most definitly think that you could sheath a weapon or other long object on your back, and wear a backpack ontop. I done similar things hundreds of times in real life. Sheathing large items between a backpack and my body.

I'm liking this idea,, I just think it needs more input.
Quote from: FiveDisgruntledMonkeys
Don't enter the Labyrinth.
They don't call it the Screaming Mantis Tavern to be cute. It's called foreshadowing. First there's screaming, then mantis head.

Quoteso anal

Haha, he said "anal"
musashi: It's also been argued that jesus was a fictional storybook character.

QuoteLets say you -must- wear a pack and you're wielding a two handed weapon. You need free hands for a while. At that point you have to remove the weapon and hold it in your inventory where it weighs much more and is codewise, in your hands anyway. Sometimes you've got to be ready for combat and you can't call a time out while you open your pack, get the weapon, then wield it. In the end I generally end up emoting that I strap it to my pack anyway, and there it sits in my inventory. Sitting there being cumbersome. I'm probally just being shallow, but I've really wished I could strap things to my pack.

So buy a pouched belt or a bag that can be worn around the neck. They're out there.
Carnage
"We pay for and maintain the GDB for players of ArmageddonMUD, seeing as
how you no longer play we would prefer it if you not post anymore.

Regards,
-the Shade of Nessalin"

I'M ONLY TAKING A BREAK NESSALIN, I SWEAR!

That's not relative to the situation, Carnage.  This is about cases where you -must- wear a pack and wield a weapon that is only sheatheble on the back.  So suggesting emptying a pack into belt packs, etc. is pointless.
Also, do note that some things are too large to fit into a belt pack, especially if worn about the throat or neck, unless you happen to be a half-giant.

Thanks

QuoteThat's not relative to the situation, Carnage. This is about cases where you -must- wear a pack and wield a weapon that is only sheatheble on the back. So suggesting emptying a pack into belt packs, etc. is pointless.
Also, do note that some things are too large to fit into a belt pack, especially if worn about the throat or neck, unless you happen to be a half-giant.

Actually, I know of one backpack-sized container that's wearable around the neck. Try looking around IC and using things besides 'a bone-studded backpack'.

I don't really see how that's irrelevant (was that the word you meant?) considering it's an easy solution to your problem outside of posting an idea on the GDB that the imms may or may not see.
Carnage
"We pay for and maintain the GDB for players of ArmageddonMUD, seeing as
how you no longer play we would prefer it if you not post anymore.

Regards,
-the Shade of Nessalin"

I'M ONLY TAKING A BREAK NESSALIN, I SWEAR!

Thanks for the tip Carnage.  But in this hypathetical situation the pack -must- remain on the back.  Besides, would you wear a pack that could way upwards of 40 or 50 lbs around your neck?  If so, would you do it day in and day out while walking, running, and riding?  

Anyway....its not a big deal anymore.

Yes..Yes it is! I want another wear location!! three wear location two for weapons (I dont see how its unrealistic) and one for a storage Item, you people are so fussy about wearing to many things on your back, thats what you back is for ! :x, ahh I feel much better now..., yelling allways helps anyway whadda ya think eh?