No more room

Started by nauta, May 26, 2015, 02:22:29 PM

Hi,

Recently, I've been getting a lot of the 'no more room' error messages.  In particular, I got it twice:

1. I took a bag from a shelf, and tried to put it back on the shelf.

2. I had some bags in my possession, and tried to set them on the floor (to organize things): got the error message.  (I could however put the bags on the shelves.)

I've gotten them in the past too.

QUESTION: What to do?  How can I avoid this in the future?  Is there some trick that the experts pull off?  What's the most efficient way to "junk" the excess items?  Will junking containers first do the trick, or junking the items in the containers?  (I'm not really trying to cram more stuff in - I just want to put these damn bags back on those damn shelves.)

From what I gather in a previous thread, this has to do with the amount of containers in a room and the sum of their potential weights, not the actual weight of the room.  Is this the case?

I'm sure this has been brought up before.  I checked a few searches, but I'm not really ninja at it.  This seemed the most promising: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,36499.0.html
as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

May 26, 2015, 02:25:45 PM #1 Last Edit: May 26, 2015, 02:28:06 PM by BadSkeelz
You have too much stuff in the room, contained or not. Get rid of some of it.

Edit: As far as efficiency, I'm a big fan of emptying containers on to midden heaps.

There was a change to room weight code calculations a few years back to better deal with such things (so that you can't actually put something down that would put you over the weight limit in a room).

This might help in understanding the problem with whatever room you are in:

• An empty container takes up the same amount of space that a full container might.  Your bags, while empty, could take up as much space as a full bag, so the code won't let you drop them.
  • Furniture (things that you can put things "on") can modify the overall weight limits of a room upwards.
  • A combination of the above can mean that removing things from a room may well reduce its overall total capacity and you still can't put things down anywhere.

Best practices:

use "key ." to find the items in the room.  Get rid of the things you don't need.  If you have gotten rid of everything you don't need and there is still the same problem, you still have the same problem:  too much stuff in the room.

You can thank packrats and hoarders of days gone by for this code.  :)
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

Another thing to keep in mind is that the total "weight space" taken up by a container is equal to the container's weight plus its weight capacity.

So if you've got an obsidian bin that holds 400 stone, but it weighs 100 stone, it takes up a total of 500 stones of weight space.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

GOD I hate this problem, curious as to how the changes will affect it, but I've come to understand that large bags are cursed.

Quote from: Revenant on May 26, 2015, 03:36:42 PM
GOD I hate this problem, curious as to how the changes will affect it, but I've come to understand that large bags are cursed.

There aren't any more changes planned. Nyr is referring to changes that were made years ago. In short, if you can't put stuff down, you have too much stuff and should get rid of some.
Quote from: Decameron on September 16, 2010, 04:47:50 PM
Character: "I've been working on building a new barracks for some tim-"
NPC: "Yeah, that fell through, sucks but YOUR HOUSE IS ON FIREEE!! FIRE-KANKS!!"

Quote from: Talia on May 26, 2015, 03:40:51 PM
Quote from: Revenant on May 26, 2015, 03:36:42 PM

There aren't any more changes planned. Nyr is referring to changes that were made years ago. In short, if you can't put stuff down, you have too much stuff and should get rid of some.

Thanks, Nyr.  That really was helpful.  It also might explain my case: I've been cleaning up a certain compound which probably has had this stuff in it from before the changes.  Is it appropriate to send in a request to have staff animate the hoarding culprits as NPCs so I can beat them unconscious?  Or would all their bodies bump the rooms past their weight limits?
as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

Lol, "attempting to thwart room weight limits" becomes new reason to apartment PK.

"Hold this chest for me real quick, bud."

"Why?"

"It won't fit now, but when your body decays, it'll totally fit."
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Quote from: nauta on May 26, 2015, 03:49:28 PM
Is it appropriate to send in a request to have staff animate the hoarding culprits as NPCs so I can beat them unconscious?  Or would all their bodies bump the rooms past their weight limits?

VNPC bodies don't take up any non-virtual space in the room (they take up virtual space) so I recommend that you start by beating or murderizing them first. Then move on to the NPCs if necessary. Coded corpses are ridiculously heavy and will eat into the weight limit on your room pretty fast.

#helpful
Quote from: Decameron on September 16, 2010, 04:47:50 PM
Character: "I've been working on building a new barracks for some tim-"
NPC: "Yeah, that fell through, sucks but YOUR HOUSE IS ON FIREEE!! FIRE-KANKS!!"

one time my PC was so rich they broke the weight code for their room and I had so many coins in my inventory that I couldn't move, but the pile was far too big to be set down despite the fact that it had previously fit as a bunch of small piles
All the world will be your enemy. When they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

May 26, 2015, 04:10:59 PM #10 Last Edit: May 26, 2015, 04:12:36 PM by BadSkeelz
Quote from: HavokBlue on May 26, 2015, 04:06:02 PM
one time my PC was so rich they broke the weight code for their room and I had so many coins in my inventory that I couldn't move, but the pile was far too big to be set down despite the fact that it had previously fit as a bunch of small piles

>eat coins

Overloaded rooms can be fun, like picking a thread to unravel a sweater. I remember once picking up one chest with another dude in the clan hall, which led to a couple of re-discovered sets of armor and chests filled with riches spilling in to the street. People had put all this awesome stuff in chests on the cots, we just hadn't had anyone in the clan with the strength to get the chest back off the cots to see what's inside. Once we got them off, we couldn't fit them back on.

Easily one of the most frustrating code quirks in the game, IMHO.

If you pick something up, you should be able to put it back down. I can't imagine that's a controversial opinion.

Or else there should be some kind of warning that picking up the item will result in a time-space reconfiguration making it impossible to replace the item. (As you reach for the white feather, you notice the room preparing to shrink by about the size of a white feather. Are you sure you still want to pick up the white feather?  ;) )

I'd gladly accept any reasonable alternative (and probably most unreasonable alternatives).
"No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality; even larks and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream." - Shirley Jackson, The Haunting of Hill House

Quote from: Talia on May 26, 2015, 03:59:49 PM
Quote from: nauta on May 26, 2015, 03:49:28 PM
Is it appropriate to send in a request to have staff animate the hoarding culprits as NPCs so I can beat them unconscious?  Or would all their bodies bump the rooms past their weight limits?

VNPC bodies don't take up any non-virtual space in the room (they take up virtual space) so I recommend that you start by beating or murderizing them first. Then move on to the NPCs if necessary. Coded corpses are ridiculously heavy and will eat into the weight limit on your room pretty fast.

#helpful

change ldesc sits here, tribal-style, covered in blood, surrounded by mangled bodies, in an otherwise empty room, holding twelve bags, staring with buggy eyes at an empty shelf, drooling.

Quote from: flurry on May 26, 2015, 04:29:51 PM
Or else there should be some kind of warning that picking up the item will result in a time-space reconfiguration making it impossible to replace the item. (As you reach for the white feather, you notice the room preparing to shrink by about the size of a white feather. Are you sure you still want to pick up the white feather?  ;) )

>get feather

The white feather sits delicately balanced atop a huge pile of items. You aren't sure you could pick it up without disturbing the pile, which would subsequently collapse and fill the room up to your knees. Would you like to proceed?

>get feather

Just a small tip since ive been involved with a few clan hall clean ups. When you start having that problem, just remove a chest or trunk first. You could junk single items for ages before it will ever free up the space needed.
What we do in life, echoes in eternity.

On a semi-related note...I've come across quite a few tents staked out in no-save rooms, that people seem just fine with. When I last played, a few years back, these tents would make it barely 1-2 days before disappearing owing to a game reboot and everything inside them. But I've now seen tents persist, stuffed full of crap, in no-save rooms, even through game crashes. I also noticed that bodies of players, which would decay in like 15 minutes before, now can last several RL days.

When was this changed?

Quote from: Clearsighted on May 26, 2015, 10:58:01 PM
On a semi-related note...I've come across quite a few tents staked out in no-save rooms, that people seem just fine with. When I last played, a few years back, these tents would make it barely 1-2 days before disappearing owing to a game reboot and everything inside them. But I've now seen tents persist, stuffed full of crap, in no-save rooms, even through game crashes. I also noticed that bodies of players, which would decay in like 15 minutes before, now can last several RL days.

When was this changed?
A while ago. Tents persist in any room they're placed in.

QuoteA female voice says, in sirihish:
     "] yer a wizard, oashi"

Quote from: bcw81 on May 27, 2015, 12:02:46 AM

When was this changed?

Wow. That's good to know!

Quote from: Clearsighted on May 27, 2015, 01:34:42 AM

When was this changed?

Until I walk in and go hey free tent!
Roll tent
Get tent
Walk away.
<19:14:06> "Bushranger": Why is it always about sex with animals with you Jihelu?
<19:14:13> "Jihelu": IT's not always /with/ animals

Quote from: Asmoth on May 27, 2015, 01:39:57 AM
Quote from: Clearsighted on May 27, 2015, 01:34:42 AM

When was this changed?

Until I walk in and go hey free tent!
Roll tent
Get tent
Walk away.

I've come across at least one interesting tactic that someone evidently used to combat that. I'm with you, though. There are too many mischievous sorts roaming around for me to personally risk leaving a tent anywhere.

Lets say room X - has a certain weight limit - we'll call that - max room weight

Then, you start adding containers to the room. (these can be closed containers [bags/chests etc] or open containers [carpets/rugs etc]).

Now, the containers have 2 weights - empty container weight & max container weight.

As soon as you drop a container into the room, the code calculation adds the "max container weight" towards the "max room weight" tally.

If you keep putting things into the containers - it'll just keep adding to the "empty container weight" - up to - the "max container weight" - BUT - it will not add to the "max room weight" tally.

Once an individual container is full, you will get a message saying "X container is full, you cannot put any more things in or around container X".

*As far as my experience goes - a container within a container - does NOT add to the "max room weight" tally. Only the principle container does.*

So, what are some reasons for someone, to not be able to put back a container or an item they've just picked up from the room?
a) You've picked up an item from within a container and are trying to put it down on the ground - thereby exceeding the "max room weight".
b) You've picked up a container (even if it's empty) from within a container, and are now trying to put it on the ground - thereby exceeding the "max room weight".
c) You used the junk command to junk a container and spilt all the contents on the ground - thereby putting the room over the "max room weight" limit.
d) Very likely scenario for store rooms in Houses/Clans - certain items in the room had their weight changed - during the last changes, and so the room is already over the "max room weight" limit - but because the items were on the ground beforehand, the room continued to exist above the limit.
e) Very likely scenario for rental apartments - certain rooms/apartment complexes had their "max room weights" changed recently - so it is quite possible that the existing items in the room are already putting the room over the "max room weight" limit.
e) You pick up a heavy item from the ground, and drop an empty container in the room - you might THINK that the heavy item is actually heavier than the empty container - but - actually the "max container weight" puts the room over the limit - resulting in you not being able to drop the heavy item back into the room.
f) I have a nagging suspicion (but this isnt confirmed) - that sometimes, items which change forms - might have different weights. This would mean that you were able to put the item into the room while it was in form A, but when it reverted to form B, the "max room weight" limit got breached. Now, if you picked up something else from the room and tried to put it down, it wouldn't allow it.

Sometimes, the problem can be solved just as easily as picking up an empty large bag, and junking it, so that the "max room weight" of your room goes down.

A very simple exercise you can do - is to just start dropping empty containers into a room. At a certain point you'll get the message "There is no more room for that". However, you WILL still be able to put things into each of those containers, AND, you will also be able to pick up each container, fill it, and drop it back on the floor.

I hope that helps - in some way.

The figure in a dark hooded cloak says in rinthi-accented Sirihish, 'Winrothol Tor Fale?'

Sometimes you'll be unable to put things back into containers, though. That's where it gets wonky.

Quote from: Delirium on May 27, 2015, 01:56:48 PM
Sometimes you'll be unable to put things back into containers, though. That's where it gets wonky.
Yeah, you could pull out that fifty pound bag from that shelf.  But soon as you do, the magickal space monster causes everything else to expand in size, making you unable to put it back.
<19:14:06> "Bushranger": Why is it always about sex with animals with you Jihelu?
<19:14:13> "Jihelu": IT's not always /with/ animals

New Thread Title: First world problems of Zalanthas.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

My only concern is this:

The game tells me I'm unable to >pour bag chest because there's not enough room yet I can manually >get item bag, >put item chest and fill it with the exact amount of items - Effectively making the pour skill (for item container's) somewhat less useful.
Quote from: LauraMars
Quote from: brytta.leofaLaura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?
If by weird tribal men you mean Christians then yes.

Quote from: Malifaxis
She was teabagging me.

My own mother.