Code Suggestion: Non Desert Elf Rangers

Started by Asmoth, May 03, 2015, 09:30:29 PM

It seems like there are skills missing from rangers and they seem to be a little weirdly designed.

So take certain wildlife that runs from you, you have a few choices as a ranger:

1. Ride around chasing it room to room till it eventually is exhausted and then fighting it.

2. If you have managed to unlock sneak and hide, you can dismount, hide and sneak in and hope it doesn't see you to engage it. (hoping someone doesn't happen along and steal your mount while you do that.)

3. Shoot it from afar, which is pretty expensive due to the cost of arrows and bows.

While I understand that Desert Elves have a specific bred into them endurance for running long distances, I have always felt that rangers should be able to just wander around outdoors without a mount in a similar manner.  Right now if you do that, you're a super huge disadvantage though because you don't start with hide and sneak and by the time you're able to do it, you don't want to risk your more mature character for such foolish things. (At least I don't).

Maybe if we made non-d-elves able to walk in the wild without such large movement hits, it would be more of a do-able thing.

I dunno, thoughts.
<19:14:06> "Bushranger": Why is it always about sex with animals with you Jihelu?
<19:14:13> "Jihelu": IT's not always /with/ animals

There probably should be some game that is too elusive for a novice ranger.  Gives you something to aspire to. :)
The neat, clean-shaven man sends you a telepathic message:
     "I tried hairy...Im sorry"

Maybe give rangers less of a chance to scare the shit out of animals. Dismounted of course. I feel that might fix most of it?

This is mostly reflecting my personal play style and my RL experience tracking and killing wild game:

I've had more than a few of my rangers seldom, if ever, use mounts.

Like RL, you don't use a vehicle/ATV to run down deer. You drive your ATV/vehicle to a safe, guarded location near the area you plant to hunt in and park it, then set out on foot to stalk or wait out said deer.
Mounts are large, bumbling, and usually loud animals.  If you are hunting down anything that would be skiddish, hunting with a mount is a bad idea both because of how the code works (a reflection of how, IMO, it should work) and how the game world works (reflected through code).

If you are hunting carru or larger, yeah, charging at it with an equally large and aggressive beast is a good idea.
Also having said large and aggressive beast to rely upon when you reach the point of oh-shit-i'm-going-to-die.

All that said, it is perfectly doable to range-hunt with a ranger on foot.  All civilizations have respectable game within walking (and returning without resting) distance from the gates.
Unless you are trying to track down and kill more than two animals per day hunting, which isn't really sustainable, but that is another conversation entirely.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Quote from: Jihelu on May 03, 2015, 09:40:29 PM
Maybe give rangers less of a chance to scare the shit out of animals. Dismounted of course. I feel that might fix most of it?

This is called sneak... if you want your ranger character to be able to do this fresh out of the package, there are multiple subguilds that'll kit you out with this skill.

In general I think the mechanics are in place for a sufficiently experienced ranger to be able to take down any animal.  Learning how to do so is half the adventure.
The neat, clean-shaven man sends you a telepathic message:
     "I tried hairy...Im sorry"

If it is a priority for your PC, there are subguillds and extended subguilds that do this without having to wait on your stealth skills to branch.
We also have skill bump apps that can get you pretty close to branching these skills as well, if you want to take a crafting subguild or something else unrelated to ranging.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Quote from: FantasyWriter on May 03, 2015, 09:43:55 PM

If it is a priority for your PC, there are subguillds and extended subguilds that do this without having to wait on your stealth skills to branch.
We also have skill bump apps that can get you pretty close to branching these skills as well, if you want to take a crafting subguild or something else unrelated to ranging.
>Make my statement
>Realize subguilds.
I retract my statement.

Rangers definitely do not need more ways to kill animals.
All the world will be your enemy. When they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

Ranger sneak/hide gets boring after a while. Long lived rangers become boring after a while. From experience with long lived rangers after a while it's more fun to just sit around drinking and talking and socializing than hunting. So starting out there is usually a good idea.
I am unable to respond to PMs sent on the GDB. If you want to send me something, please send it to my email.

Interestingly enough, running down an animal until it was too tired and exhausted to flee, is one of the oldest hunting tactics in RL. It's still practiced today by Kalahari bush men.

Good luck for a human doing it in Armageddon, though.

Quote from: HavokBlue on May 03, 2015, 09:57:18 PM

I will always disagree with this until snares and traps are implemented.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

Quote from: slvrmoontiger on May 03, 2015, 11:37:11 PM
Ranger sneak/hide gets boring after a while. Long lived rangers become boring after a while. From experience with long lived rangers after a while it's more fun to just sit around drinking and talking and socializing than hunting. So starting out there is usually a good idea.

Every classes become super boring after a while because you've got nothing left to look forward to code wise and for many of us, that's half the fun of playing the character.
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

Quote from: Armaddict on May 05, 2015, 01:15:16 AM

I'd love snares and traps, but not for hunting animals.

A numut-vine cord snaps tight around your ankle, yanking you into the air!
All the world will be your enemy. When they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

Quote from: HavokBlue on May 05, 2015, 04:00:36 AM
Quote from: Armaddict on May 05, 2015, 01:15:16 AM

I'd love snares and traps, but not for hunting animals.

A numut-vine cord snaps tight around your ankle, yanking you into the air!

See, I think they should be for both.  I'd love for there to be trappers versus everyone having to buy a beetle and chase everything down until it was exhausted.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

Trapper should be a new guild, to make outdoorsy classes more equal to their city-limited brethren. I mean seriously, right now you can get basically the entire outdoors skills kit with a single class? Totally OP.

Make Guild_Trapper start with several outdoorsy skills that Ranger has to branch, but Trapper has to branch many basic Ranger skills. Allow Guild_Rangers to branch new Trap skill with a relatively low cap, but Guild Trapper starts with Trap at Apprentice to make up for its relative lack of "basic" outdoorsy skills. Guild_Trapper should also simply not get Archery, or only be able to branch it and have it cap out at a fairly low level.

Quote from: hyzhenhok on May 05, 2015, 06:25:15 AM
Trapper should be a new guild, to make outdoorsy classes more equal to their city-limited brethren. I mean seriously, right now you can get basically the entire outdoors skills kit with a single class? Totally OP.

Make Guild_Trapper start with several outdoorsy skills that Ranger has to branch, but Trapper has to branch many basic Ranger skills. Allow Guild_Rangers to branch new Trap skill with a relatively low cap, but Guild Trapper starts with Trap at Apprentice to make up for its relative lack of "basic" outdoorsy skills. Guild_Trapper should also simply not get Archery, or only be able to branch it and have it cap out at a fairly low level.

I'd gladly hash out all sorts of cool details as to hows and whys, but ya know...first we'd need a heads up that trap was actually going to go in. :P

While we can and will make adjustments to guilds and subguilds as needed, there are trade-offs for every guild, subguild, and racial choice.

Quote1. Ride around chasing it room to room till it eventually is exhausted and then fighting it.

You could pick a subguild that would assist you here.  You could work together with other people to hunt (so your tribe, or your buddies, or a clanmate).  You could simply not do this as it is not really an efficient way to hunt in the game (though quite valid IRL).

Quote2. If you have managed to unlock sneak and hide, you can dismount, hide and sneak in and hope it doesn't see you to engage it. (hoping someone doesn't happen along and steal your mount while you do that.)

Same as above.  Between subguilds and extended subguilds, there is something to help you, particularly when it comes to hiding and sneaking.  This is also a game such that progression in skill is expected, so you will not be an expert at this at the start.  Plenty of roleplay to be had learning how to track something and sneak up on it unsuccessfully, though more (and more fun) if you are with someone that can teach you.  That's also an option!

Quote3. Shoot it from afar, which is pretty expensive due to the cost of arrows and bows.

This is the only one I would disagree with.  The noted combat advantage for rangers is their long-range capability and ability to better survive the outdoors compared to most others.  If you disregard their biggest advantage, then yes, rangers lack available skills to take down prey.  I'm guilty of this myself, having played a ranger for many, many months when I was new to the game...and not using archery.  Regardless of expense of arrows (you can use rocks and slings after all), the long-range advantage is invaluable, particularly when combined with other skills that the guild has to offer.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

Quote from: Nyr on May 05, 2015, 09:01:36 AM
While we can and will make adjustments to guilds and subguilds as needed, there are trade-offs for every guild, subguild, and racial choice.

Quote1. Ride around chasing it room to room till it eventually is exhausted and then fighting it.

You could pick a subguild that would assist you here.  You could work together with other people to hunt (so your tribe, or your buddies, or a clanmate).  You could simply not do this as it is not really an efficient way to hunt in the game (though quite valid IRL).

Quote2. If you have managed to unlock sneak and hide, you can dismount, hide and sneak in and hope it doesn't see you to engage it. (hoping someone doesn't happen along and steal your mount while you do that.)

Same as above.  Between subguilds and extended subguilds, there is something to help you, particularly when it comes to hiding and sneaking.  This is also a game such that progression in skill is expected, so you will not be an expert at this at the start.  Plenty of roleplay to be had learning how to track something and sneak up on it unsuccessfully, though more (and more fun) if you are with someone that can teach you.  That's also an option!

Quote3. Shoot it from afar, which is pretty expensive due to the cost of arrows and bows.

This is the only one I would disagree with.  The noted combat advantage for rangers is their long-range capability and ability to better survive the outdoors compared to most others.  If you disregard their biggest advantage, then yes, rangers lack available skills to take down prey.  I'm guilty of this myself, having played a ranger for many, many months when I was new to the game...and not using archery.  Regardless of expense of arrows (you can use rocks and slings after all), the long-range advantage is invaluable, particularly when combined with other skills that the guild has to offer.

I'm gonna shut your #3 down by pointing out that:

3. Shoot it from afar, which is pretty expensive due to the cost of arrows and bows.

This I disagree with because there are guilds/subguilds that can counteract this. Wood, feathers and other stuff to make bows and arrows are very common in the game world.

Rangers are fine in my opinion. There are ways to hunt effectively, even very easily with them as they stand. Part of playing a good ranger AS THE PLAYER and not just "as a toon" is being able to figure out how to do these things behind the keyboard.

I do however like the idea of rangers getting a slight bonus to moving around on foot in the desert compared to other classes in terms of using up less stamina. Not to the degree desert elves get it, since desert elves are known for that, but a little something (like one less stamina tick compared to everyone else) would be kind of nice.
Quote from: James de Monet on April 09, 2015, 01:54:57 AM
My phone now autocorrects "damn" to Dman.
Quote from: deathkamon on November 14, 2015, 12:29:56 AM
The young daughter has been filled.

A bonus to outdoor stamina regen rate would do the trick, I think.

I'd rather see other classes get expanded skills and perks before rangers, even if the ideas make sense. Priority based on current usability and all that.

Burglars and assassins should get in-city trap skills to hold their victims in place or otherwise poison or disable them.

Burglars need apartments with NPCs moving in and out that they can steal from if they time it right (everyone ELSE gets NPCs to practice on, why not burglars?)

Top of my list: clothworkers and armorcrafters should be able to resize items.

It's ridiculous that a master clothworker or armor maker can't figure out how to resize a tunic or a cuirass without staff assistance.

May 05, 2015, 11:53:10 AM #21 Last Edit: May 05, 2015, 12:00:33 PM by Molten Heart
Quote from: Saellyn on May 05, 2015, 09:41:07 AM
Quote from: Nyr on May 05, 2015, 09:01:36 AM

You could pick a subguild that would assist you here.  You could work together with other people to hunt (so your tribe, or your buddies, or a clanmate).  You could simply not do this as it is not really an efficient way to hunt in the game (though quite valid IRL).

Same as above.  Between subguilds and extended subguilds, there is something to help you, particularly when it comes to hiding and sneaking.  This is also a game such that progression in skill is expected, so you will not be an expert at this at the start.  Plenty of roleplay to be had learning how to track something and sneak up on it unsuccessfully, though more (and more fun) if you are with someone that can teach you.  That's also an option!

This is the only one I would disagree with.  The noted combat advantage for rangers is their long-range capability and ability to better survive the outdoors compared to most others.  If you disregard their biggest advantage, then yes, rangers lack available skills to take down prey.  I'm guilty of this myself, having played a ranger for many, many months when I was new to the game...and not using archery.  Regardless of expense of arrows (you can use rocks and slings after all), the long-range advantage is invaluable, particularly when combined with other skills that the guild has to offer.

I'm gonna shut your #3 down by pointing out that:

This I disagree with because there are guilds/subguilds that can counteract this. Wood, feathers and other stuff to make bows and arrows are very common in the game world.

Slings and stones are fairly affordable. These seem to be the preferred way for some to progress the archery skill without having to spend all their money because lets face it, when archery is low (and especially at the middle level) it's going to take a lot of arrows/projectiles to bring something down.
"It's too hot in the hottub!"

-James Brown

https://youtu.be/ZCOSPtyZAPA

Quote from: roughneck on May 05, 2015, 11:39:49 AM

I think it'd be cool if rangers could regenerate stamina while standing.
"It's too hot in the hottub!"

-James Brown

https://youtu.be/ZCOSPtyZAPA

Quote from: Molten Heart on May 05, 2015, 12:04:40 PM
Quote from: roughneck on May 05, 2015, 11:39:49 AM

I think it'd be cool if rangers could regenerate stamina while standing.

Or hide while resting!

Rangers are the last class that needs more things, imo.
You take the last bite of your scooby snack.
This tastes like ordinary meat.
There is nothing left now.