Tuluk Closing to PC play -- discussion thread

Started by ArmageddonMUD, April 13, 2015, 01:18:17 PM

April 13, 2015, 02:39:48 PM #100 Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 02:48:24 PM by Nathvaan
Quote from: Harmless on April 13, 2015, 02:22:20 PM
Will staff be making an announcement about this visible when logging in? It would help players who don't check the GDB or website. Currently the most recent announcement is May 2014 about Tuluk shrinking. I think that could be replaced no?

Yes, I already updated the Message of the Day to include a link to the GDB about this.  Thanks for bringing it to our attention though, just in case.

Note to add: I totally forgot to make it live in the game.   It has been made live now!  Apologies.

Thank god, a MOTD that isn't about how we can't rape people anymore.

I'm sure this is obvious to everyone else, but ATV is still going to be open, right? They'll be the PCs in charge of policing the northlands, so to speak?

I honestly had a feeling this was coming up. My first char ever was in tuluk, and tuluk was a great experiance for a noob like me.

Excited to see where this goes, though.

Yeah I was referring to the tattoos anyone can buy in the city. And the wealth of other neat items. I'm going to stock up on isilt and bardic supplies and make a killing when nobody can buy it anymore
All the world will be your enemy. When they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

We've asked for this bed, let's see how we like lying in it.

Or maybe Tuluk can have a "merchant and trade only" area that isn't actually in the city proper where all those things are available.

That said, since staff has been planning this out for a while, I'm willing to hold off on firing suggestions into the dark and see what happens.

I support the change as well. When I was a newer player, I played basically exclusively in Tuluk because it was an easier place to survive and train up and whatnot. As I have gotten more into "Armageddon" (in quotes because I mean the feel and idea of Arm)...I have been more and more of the opinion that Tuluk really didn't fit into the look and feel as much as it maybe should. I think there's a lot of things that could happen with this, and I hope it's able to go in a positive direction overall. I also hope the Tuluki staff don't misread my words--I am not saying they did a poor job with Tuluk.

Big news, still digesting it myself, even though I'm not a Tuluki player.

Quote from: Delirium on April 13, 2015, 02:46:12 PM
Or maybe Tuluk can have a "merchant and trade only" area that isn't actually in the city proper where all those things are available.

That said, since staff has been planning this out for a while, I'm willing to hold off on firing suggestions into the dark and see what happens.

Ahem (Northern Outpost mentioned previously).
"It doesn't matter what country someone's from, or what they look like, or the color of their skin. It doesn't matter what they smell like, or that they spell words slightly differently, some would say more correctly." - Jemaine Clement. FOTC.

I'm looking forward to the (increased) possibility of running into another pc at 5 am when I type 'who' and see 6 other people on as a result of this.

Seems like a great idea.
Quote from: Maester Aemon Targaryen
What is honor compared to a woman's love? ...Wind and words. Wind and words. We are only human, and the gods have fashioned us for love. That is our great glory, and our great tragedy.

Quote from: Adhira on April 13, 2015, 02:48:44 PM
Quote from: Delirium on April 13, 2015, 02:46:12 PM

Ahem (Northern Outpost mentioned previously).

I should have saved that Inglourious Basterds gif for responding to this.

Quote from: Rathustra on April 13, 2015, 01:56:32 PM

The RPT yesterday was not designed to kill people. I will never run an RPT with the express intention of killing PCs.

Name isn't Halaster

I'm wondering whether or not we'll get a handful of tuluki bards in tuluk. That would be so cool!
https://armageddon.org/help/view/Inappropriate%20vernacular
gorgio: someone who is not romani, not a gypsy.
kumpania: a family of story tellers.
vardo: a horse-drawn wagon used by British Romani as their home. always well-crafted, often painted and gilded

Quote from: bardlyone on April 13, 2015, 02:49:55 PM
I'm looking forward to the (increased) possibility of running into another pc at 5 am when I type 'who' and see 6 other people on as a result of this.

Seems like a great idea.

In the meantime, all the ATV players lament the loss of the one other person they might encounter at 5am.
All the world will be your enemy. When they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

Quote from: HavokBlue on April 13, 2015, 02:54:19 PM

Seems like a great idea.

In the meantime, all the ATV players lament the loss of the one other person they might encounter at 5am.

Unless ATV were going into Tuluk to meet that one other person, I think this isn't true.
Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2

Quote from: HavokBlue on April 13, 2015, 02:54:19 PM

Seems like a great idea.

If you're playing an outdoor xenophobic iso role, you probably SHOULD be running into fewer people than someone playing a city-based social role. Especially at 5 am when there's only a handful of people on. I don't know why anyone would expect differently.
Quote from: Maester Aemon Targaryen
What is honor compared to a woman's love? ...Wind and words. Wind and words. We are only human, and the gods have fashioned us for love. That is our great glory, and our great tragedy.

ATV are remaining open, yes.

ATV are not police, they care about their own agenda.  This is unchanged.  They are no more isolated than the other d-elf tribes.

That uh, I'm not sure if that's good news or not.
You take the last bite of your scooby snack.
This tastes like ordinary meat.
There is nothing left now.

Always love Tuluk here, but interested and excited for this change.

Going along with the GMH/Materials concerns... right now all the wood/branches/rocks/natural resources that the North has are pretty well and sought after. You mentioned ATV and potential Tuluki Enforcers... is this going to mean that people around Tuluk that are grebbing are going to get wombo-combo'd by suddenly-non-virtual patrolling soldiers? Is all "northern resource" trading going to come from the supposed northern outpost?
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Quote from: Riev on April 13, 2015, 03:18:39 PM
Always love Tuluk here, but interested and excited for this change.

Going along with the GMH/Materials concerns... right now all the wood/branches/rocks/natural resources that the North has are pretty well and sought after. You mentioned ATV and potential Tuluki Enforcers... is this going to mean that people around Tuluk that are grebbing are going to get wombo-combo'd by suddenly-non-virtual patrolling soldiers? Is all "northern resource" trading going to come from the supposed northern outpost?

I will always give people a heads up they're about to get wombo combo'd.

Thanks seidhr.

If Staff decide to re-open Tuluk at some point, and it isn't a hundred in game years in the future or anything, would those who choose to store their characters at the start of the closure be offered the opportunity to come back?

Quote from: BadSkeelz on April 13, 2015, 03:21:14 PM

If Staff decide to re-open Tuluk at some point, and it isn't a hundred in game years in the future or anything, would those who choose to store their characters at the start of the closure be offered the opportunity to come back?

Quote from: seidhr on April 13, 2015, 03:12:46 PM
ATV are remaining open, yes.

ATV are not police, they care about their own agenda.  This is unchanged.  They are no more isolated than the other d-elf tribes.

Probably not. We can help you get your PC out of Tuluk or we can get you into a new PC, but we can't make promises about if or when as Tuluk will continue to develop virtually during the closure. We can't really look that far ahead and decide that old PCs can just step into whatever new beginning Tuluk receives.

I'm just gonna throw this out there...

I hate this decision. I feel sorry for anyone whose played in Tuluk AND I feel worse for Northern Staff, especially after the work that was put in (especially recently... I mean WHY go through the motions on some things if it was going to be closed anyway?).

I feel like anyone whose had an active PC trying to be pro-active in Tuluk just got flushed down the drain.

And yes, I'll send in a request now to vent and sort out this poop sandwich in private.
Czar of City Elves.

The way some of my pretty recent interactions with the northern team were phrased make this kind of feel like a sudden decision.