Tuluk Closing to PC play -- discussion thread

Started by ArmageddonMUD, April 13, 2015, 01:18:17 PM

Dakota:

Removing Tuluk from PC play does remove playability options for the user.  It also consolidates staff/or freeing them up for existing work that does need to be done, thereby increasing the benefit to the user, and allowing us to find other playability options for the user.  We do realize that there are obstacles for Tuluki PC ex-pats and we will be working on that. We do realize that this will create strain on existing PC resources such as apartments.  We are prepared to deal with that.  We are also (as mentioned) looking at expanding involvement in Luir's and Red Storm.  I'm not sure where to go with the Gith PCs thing though, we haven't at any point mentioned that.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

April 13, 2015, 04:45:46 PM #151 Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 04:51:59 PM by Naruto
I've had so many good times with my old PCs in Tuluk. But I see the point here, and I support this decision.
I always wanted to play a Faithful, so I will impatiently wait for the day when I will have the chance to submit such a role-call.
Kore ga watashi no nindouni!

Quote from: Cind on April 13, 2015, 04:42:26 PM
I'm serious about the Levies. If you play peak, and love low-class gameplay, and haven't done the Levies, these are your last two weeks to get in.

Levies are/were great if you can attend regularly. I've really enjoyed my time in them. I would totally support Allanak getting some sort of equivalent - real militia as opposed to the AOD militia-in-name-but-really-professional-soldiers.

Maybe I'll work on that when I'm down there.

Quote from: BadSkeelz on April 13, 2015, 04:45:57 PM
Quote from: Cind on April 13, 2015, 04:42:26 PM
I'm serious about the Levies. If you play peak, and love low-class gameplay, and haven't done the Levies, these are your last two weeks to get in.

Levies are/were great if you can attend regularly. I've really enjoyed my time in them. I would totally support Allanak getting some sort of equivalent - real militia as opposed to the AOD militia-in-name-but-really-professional-soldiers.

Maybe I'll work on that when I'm down there.

No screw you the levies are my best idea (c) Rathustra 2014/15 do not steal.

Quote from: Rathustra on April 13, 2015, 04:39:36 PM
There was no yang. The yang were on the opposite side of the game world. The yang were an idea, not a real and present danger. In either direction.
It -was- an idea that -was- physically and codedly there.

It's not about showing good RP and making out like theirs a big bad monster at the end of this dark cave with the odd room echo reinforcing it... It's the fact that it -is- actually there which motivates the RP (thus the players) in the first place.
Czar of City Elves.

Does this mean noble clans with combat divisions will actually get to open them?

Quote from: Dakota on April 13, 2015, 04:47:09 PM
Quote from: Rathustra on April 13, 2015, 04:39:36 PM
There was no yang. The yang were on the opposite side of the game world. The yang were an idea, not a real and present danger. In either direction.
It -was- an idea that -was- physically and codedly there.

It's not about showing good RP and making out like theirs a big bad monster at the end of this dark cave with the odd room echo reinforcing it... It's the fact that it -is- actually there which motivates the RP (thus the players) in the first place.

Eh, as a player who's had PCs on both sides of the war, I feel like the War could have, was, and can be still carried out without the opponent faction being made up of PCs. In fact, I'll say it can be done even better if one faction is mostly or entirely animated.

Quote from: Rathustra on April 13, 2015, 04:46:37 PM
No screw you the levies are my best idea (c) Rathustra 2014/15 do not steal.

sorry wut lemme just play u the knowns tiniest lute O WAIT YOU STORED ALL TEH INSTRUMENTS 2

Quote from: Nyr on April 13, 2015, 04:44:56 PM
Dakota:

Removing Tuluk from PC play does remove playability options for the user.  It also consolidates staff/or freeing them up for existing work that does need to be done, thereby increasing the benefit to the user, and allowing us to find other playability options for the user.  We do realize that there are obstacles for Tuluki PC ex-pats and we will be working on that. We do realize that this will create strain on existing PC resources such as apartments.  We are prepared to deal with that.  We are also (as mentioned) looking at expanding involvement in Luir's and Red Storm.  I'm not sure where to go with the Gith PCs thing though, we haven't at any point mentioned that.

Nyr: I wasn't referring to current Tuluki PC's and their dilemma in that post... but more about what this decision does (and nothing else to come and take the torch) does for the actual conflict / playability / story and roleplay dynamic of the game itself. While you do consolidate staff resources (and the playerbase) you risk in losing a -lot- depth wise to the game itself.

(And even if I never played in Tuluk before and wanted it gone, I would still feel this way... Their -needs- to be an active source of friction to Allanak that isn't just Smoke and a Roleplay Doc.)

That being said, whatever hopefully -is- done to fill this void, I hope it's awesome.
Czar of City Elves.

Quote from: Dakota on April 13, 2015, 04:35:59 PM
Theirs no more playable Yang to Allanak's Yin

Quote from: Dakota on April 13, 2015, 04:35:59 PM
But Allanak -needs- a Yang

Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

I'm still trying to figure out how I feel about this. I see the opportunities for the rest of the game to benefit, but I also really enjoyed the docs behind new Tuluk and wish more players had let go of the old Tuluk mindset to allow the new one a better chance to shine.

I know we're all sad or happy or whatever, but a big thank you to Nyr and Rathustra and Calavera and everyone else who put in all that work revamping Tuluk and supporting it in the months afterward. You guys won me over, and I was an avowed Tuluk hater. I imagine that as much as you guys are looking forward to the good things that will come, coming to this decision was a bummer.
All the world will be your enemy. When they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

Tuluki expats could form a terrorist group and terrorize Allanak from within.

Get at it, people
All the world will be your enemy. When they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

Quote from: HavokBlue on April 13, 2015, 04:58:07 PM
I know we're all sad or happy or whatever, but a big thank you to Nyr and Rathustra and Calavera and everyone else who put in all that work revamping Tuluk and supporting it in the months afterward.

+1

Can I get my PC in Tuluk transmogrified into a rinther pl0x.

Quote from: Inks on April 13, 2015, 05:01:29 PM

No, but we might be able to get you close.

Quote from: HavokBlue on April 13, 2015, 04:59:29 PM
Tuluki expats could form a terrorist group and terrorize Allanak from within.

Get at it, people

I like your line of thinking. :D

Quote from: Naruto on April 13, 2015, 04:59:57 PM
Quote from: HavokBlue on April 13, 2015, 04:58:07 PM
I know we're all sad or happy or whatever, but a big thank you to Nyr and Rathustra and Calavera and everyone else who put in all that work revamping Tuluk and supporting it in the months afterward.

+1

Yeah this. THIS.

My disbelief was at the limited amount of time I feel this got to shine. I was around for the early discussions (that were made available to players). I would have stored my character tonight and taken up a staff position if allowed to help keep things running!

I pretty much spent that entire time NOT experiencing the awesomeness due to the nature of my previous character being SO TULUK. Now my loss is complete, and I am like grieving for work I didn't even do.

I'd do it for the love.

Quote from: Rathustra on April 13, 2015, 05:03:07 PM
Quote from: Inks on April 13, 2015, 05:01:29 PM

No, but we might be able to get you close.

What you mean?

Quote from: MeTekillot on April 13, 2015, 04:49:17 PM
Does this mean noble clans with combat divisions will actually get to open them?

Another great benefit, if done.

As others have stated, once Tuluk has closed and Allanak and the southern hemisphere is brimming with activity, I feel like those who are initially dismayed will soon come to enjoy this change. I haven't been this excited for Armageddon in a while.

Whatever happens, happens.

More murder and betrayal in Allanak!!!  8)

Quote from: Delirium on April 13, 2015, 02:38:14 PM

I got to this post and I hjust can't go any further. My glee. I can't contain my glee.

YESSSSSSSSSSSSS

Actually a thought. Will the northlands become a gicker/raider paradise?

I recommend Northland loving players to consider: d-elves, human tribals, Luir's residents, Morin's loggers, wanderers of the gol and vagabonds of the north - if the prospect of being a nakki 'minion' doesn't appeal.

Bringing it down from the inside.

With only virtual conflict and npcs to fight,  they would have even less stuff to fight than they ever  I'm thinking.
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."