Brawl Code (Split from RAT)

Started by Desertman, March 31, 2015, 11:35:22 AM

April 02, 2015, 07:32:18 PM #175 Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 07:36:45 PM by RogueGunslinger
I see your point, but the "risk" in attacking someone without the brawl code is much, much greater than it realistically should be. Also if you think all those teeth-knocking-out fights in the Gaj are the same as Brawl code I just can't agree. The fights are describes as brutal, and violent, not mutual.

Edit to add: I should point out that I've tried to murder multiple people with crimcode active. Even succeeded in them. And in those instances it felt right and appropriate that my character should be attacked by soldiers. However we're not talking about a situation where one want to murder soemone else, or even really hurt them that bad. They just want to put a mouthy breed in their place without them able to ignore you atop a stool. That should not take the same amount of effort and preparedness that assassinating someone should.

@Armaddict

Heh, mmk.  I can't say as I recall ever reading your opinion on the game before now.

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on April 02, 2015, 07:32:18 PM
I see your point, but the "risk" in attacking someone without the brawl code is much, much greater than it realistically should be. Also if you think all those teeth-knocking-out fights in the Gaj are the same as Brawl code I just can't agree. The fights are describes as brutal, and violent, not mutual.

Those fights are emotes, the same as the ones used in brawl code.  The brawling blows are not exactly gentle either.  But in no way do those echoes provoke anything other than those two guys both wanted to fight each other, but as far as teeth getting knocked out...that has, traditionally, been left to the players to decide, rather than making it a given (the same thing as consent for maiming).  As noted, yet again, which still has not received feedback:

-Move 'sitting' border to 'drawn weapons' border.  As noted by D-man, this at least removes the awkward 'I can't get him off his stool' situation, though I believe the original idea persists, albeit realistically in my opinion.  That fight is no longer something without concern.
-Smaller NPC soldier presence in taverns, or at least make them more animated in there being 'shifts'.  This has already been done (I remember when there were four static guards at the Gaj, two of which were half-giants outside.  That was reduced).
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

QuoteHeh, mmk.  I can't say as I recall ever reading your opinion on the game before now.

You're right.  I have 3700 posts of 'lol'.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

If Armaddicts version of Arm is boring, then you think Arm is boring. Which it isn't.

Get over yourselves. Use the code you have available to you or make a suggestion instead of ganging up on Armaddict.

Can we please stop trying to make things personal. Nobody is "ganging up" on anyone.

Let's just stop making things personal.

Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

That's what these GDB gripe posts are, essentially player complaints aired out in a public medium.  Take from that what you will.

I feel like we're arguing two things at once. Maybe it's more productive to pull them apart.
1. Some of us don't like that the bar brawls get really silly. More like kids wrestling than grown people in bars escalating to violence.
2. Some of us want more opportunities for violence within the city.

Everyone can skip the following, where I just repeat myself. I am physically incapable of stopping. I have a really low pk count. I like plotting against people, far more than ganking them. I'm more likely to fall victim to this than benefit from it as a killer. But I still miss that scary feeling in my stomach I had the first year I played. I don't want total lawlessness and murder and mayhem in the streets. I want a difference between Nak and the Rinth. But I don't want to feel so safe that I can walk into a bar and smack someone with impunity and say haha.

Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

Truth is you can't even do that in the 'rinth bars because the NPC's will jump you. Also that other thing they do where they'll jump into a fight and help the person who just attacked you. That sucks.

I disagree with Armaddict, but man I love the fact he is so into this.

We need more players like him, even if I disagree with him.  :)

If people didn't disagree with you, you would never be able to see the holes in your ideas. A few have been pointed out already in this thread that I didn't think of and a few good solutions have come up due to that.

The man is spirited. I like spirited.
Quote from: James de Monet on April 09, 2015, 01:54:57 AM
My phone now autocorrects "damn" to Dman.
Quote from: deathkamon on November 14, 2015, 12:29:56 AM
The young daughter has been filled.

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on April 02, 2015, 08:24:14 PM
Truth is you can't even do that in the 'rinth bars because the NPC's will jump you. Also that other thing they do where they'll jump into a fight and help the person who just attacked you. That sucks.
I mean using the brawl code.

I think it would be cool if Vennant would occasionally say "Hey, you've been hitting too many of my customers, chill out a bit."  And you have to wait out some kind of nuisance meter, maybe pay higher for drinks.  But, you know, only if the people getting beaten up are actually spending money.

Quote from: Kismetic on April 02, 2015, 07:58:30 PM
Fuck this.

hit armaddict

*clings to his computer chair* HELLLOOOOOOO?!  MODERATORS?!  I AM BEING ASSAULTED.  I DID NOT INVITE CONF--  Shit.  I did, didn't I?

*sighs.  Stands.*

mercy off

kill armaddict

disarm

bash

kick

get post from corpse

snort post

skin corpse

put skin in rucksack

put gland in rucksack

Quote from: Armaddict on April 02, 2015, 08:36:51 PM
Quote from: Kismetic on April 02, 2015, 07:58:30 PM
Fuck this.

hit armaddict

*clings to his computer chair* HELLLOOOOOOO?!  MODERATORS?!  I AM BEING ASSAULTED.  I DID NOT INVITE CONF--  Shit.  I did, didn't I?

*sighs.  Stands.*

The buff, white knight walks in from the north.

The buff, white knight says in sirihish,
    "Fear not! I shall save you!"

The buff, white knight lands a hard cross to Armaddicts cheek.

The buff, white knight says apologetically, in sirihish,
    ".... Sorry."

This thread has run its course.

Ganging up on someone on the GDB is unfair. Everyone knows you take massive hits to defense after the third person.

April 04, 2015, 03:48:11 AM #195 Last Edit: April 04, 2015, 03:50:12 AM by Reiloth
To me, the brawl code appears to be a stop gap measure that doesn't fully address the issue of over-compensated criminal code response.

It allows PC's to interact with one another via combat means. It seems to take code into effect -- And even guild/subguild choices, and stats. One can 'test their mettle' against each other, without intending to kill one another, and reach a point of conclusion.

To be honest, Zalanthas has never been as brutal as it appeared to be by advertisement, except in Red Storm. The first few characters I played were played in Red Storm, and it seemed a dangerous fucking place, because if you entered the wrong alley and decided to try and mug that Mul, you'd get fucking killed. And you don't respawn anywhere -- You're dead as hell.

I think if there were more opportunities for that sort of 'insta gank' or even 'insta mug' sort of scenario to happen, even if by NPCs within the cities, it would provide an equivalency to the environment I believe ArmageddonMUD is trying to portray.

If people have to congregate in Bars at night, because wandering the streets alone isn't exactly safe alone == Great.

If people have to maybe walk each other home, because they're afraid of being mugged or fucked with == Great.

If people have to think and get into character, because their environment is more interactive than static == Great.

---

Along the same lines, as Barzalene mentioned, if violence (even brutal violence) is allowed in certain areas/bars (Even the Labyrinth bars, this is discouraged), then we move even closer towards the environment I believe ArmageddonMUD its dying to portray.

If you are a 40-50 day+ warrior or actually anything, and you can't stave off some newblet trying to pick a fight with you, and need to rely on the omnipresent criminal code to save your ass...Sorry, but i'm not sorry.

I've recently been playing Morrowind, and it isn't exactly perm-death (You can save/load and so on) but god damn, does it feel like a dangerous hellish place, because you have no idea when you'll turn a corner, haven't saved recently, and you're totally fucked.

I'd like more of those scenarios, in ArmageddonMUD, please.
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

Autosave in Arm works fine. I just can't seem to get the prompt to load my last save game to pop up.